all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S or Q&D to accompany endurance training?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Costas

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello to all,

I am currently preparing for a swim/bike event and I am training approximately for 6 hours for bike and 2 hours for swim on a weekly basis.
I have all of Pavel books and I am trying to find the most relevant of his training programs to endurance training.

It would seem Q&D but I have not achieved Simple. On the other hand with 2-3 sessions per week the S&S progress may stagnate.
I am a bit troubled which way to go.

Thanks

I would say it depends on what you'd like to get out of it. Strength improvements? Change or improve some measure of cardiovascular fitness? Movement quality improvements? Learn new skills? Develop muscles that aren't developed by your endurance training? Other? Which are the priorities?

Also, which skills do you have already? 2H swing, 1H swing, snatch, get-up, other... and what weight?

I am not a dedicated endurance athlete. I am an ex swimmer and water polo player.
6 months ago I started to participate swim/bike events mainly for health and because it is also fun.

What I want is to complete my training (fill in the gaps that swim and bike cardio leaves). That means mainly strength/ strength endurance and also some muscle development and I don't really care if strength training interferes with cardio a bit.

My current skills and strength level: 24 kg for 1H Swings and Get ups (S&S), Snatch 16kg A+A style for 30+ min.
Bodyweight: 15+ Pushups, 5 Pullups.

Not very strong for 1.90 height and 93kg weight!

Thanks

Try Q&D 033 for a bit and see how that goes. Use your 24 for the 2h swings and alternate 5 power push ups with 10's, so 10 swings then 5 pwr push, 10 swings 10 pwr push etc

I think I would recommend sticking with S&S. Further:
  • Aim for 4 sessions per week, following the book's guidance on progression
  • Use the light day options if you need to (i.e. if you've done cardio training that day) - shadow swings, lighter swings, or reduce swing volume to a few sets (or, not in the book but I'll add, do 6-10 sets of 5 snatches with 16kg instead of swings) and lighter get-ups
  • Make sure you're doing the full 3 rounds of warm-up, and increase the goblet squat weight at least for sets 2 and 3 to at least your swing weight
  • Take your time with your get-ups for time under tension 30-35 seconds per get-up
  • get your form checked or have a session with an SFG to make sure you're getting the most out of your practice

I think I would recommend sticking with S&S. Further:
  • Aim for 4 sessions per week, following the book's guidance on progression
  • Use the light day options if you need to (i.e. if you've done cardio training that day) - shadow swings, lighter swings, or reduce swing volume to a few sets (or, not in the book but I'll add, do 6-10 sets of 5 snatches with 16kg instead of swings) and lighter get-ups
  • Make sure you're doing the full 3 rounds of warm-up, and increase the goblet squat weight at least for sets 2 and 3 to at least your swing weight
  • Take your time with your get-ups for time under tension 30-35 seconds per get-up
  • get your form checked or have a session with an SFG to make sure you're getting the most out of your practice
Thanks a lot for your thorough reply!!!

I'd stick to s and s and work on the power level for each rep, each set and getup precision..

You want to feel you are getting stronger during the session so you feel more confident your runs, bike routes do not take a toll on you as much as it used to

If you can't easily articulate a need for the training effects of Q&D, I would work on S&S. Q&D isn't some advanced level training that we should be striving to perform, with the idea that it is the next level or in some way superior to S&S. It is a training protocol to elicit specific energy system adaptations that also avoids some of the negative side effects associated with conventional training methods for those same adaptations.

The adaptations of Q&D are more appropriate to short intense efforts rather than endurance. For biking and swimming, biking and swimming are the bread and butter primary training. S&S is a secondary and should be the warm up for that training.

Hello to all,

I am currently preparing for a swim/bike event and I am training approximately for 6 hours for bike and 2 hours for swim on a weekly basis.
I have all of Pavel books and I am trying to find the most relevant of his training programs to endurance training.

It would seem Q&D but I have not achieved Simple. On the other hand with 2-3 sessions per week the S&S progress may stagnate.
I am a bit troubled which way to go.

Thanks
For several months I exclusively was doing S&S 4/5 times a week and a lot of aerobic running. That seemed to be a good combo. Using the talk test with S&S, I definitely could go for 30-60 minutes of running immediately after.

I'm now doing Q&D swings and pushups (3 times a week) along with an easy strength KB routine (3 times a week). I can 100% honesty say that running after Q&D is slower, as my HR tends to run higher after Q&D vs. S&S. The swings in Q&D are 110% power based; you're not conserving energy. My S&S bell is 32 for both swings and getups. My Q&D 1HS is 24, while the 2HS is 32.

I typically train for longer endurance running, anything up to 25km. My opinion is that S&S has been more effective alongside endurance, in that S&S leave you fresher for all your other activities.

That being said, Q&D might be better alongside running IF your goal is speed and power. My plan is to rotate between S&S, Q&D and eventually A+A snatches; while adjusting my running plan accordingly.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom