all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S or ROP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

gshaw34

Level 1 Valued Member
I am curious on what direction I should take my training. I own both S&S and ETK and wondering which one I should embark on. A little about me I been using KB for about 5 years as a supplement to my current program or as a stand alone program.

A little under a year ago I joined a CrossFit box and did that for about 7 months. I liked it but not a fan of going to a class at a specific time and the cost was over $150 a month, figured it was better to train in my basement again.

The problem know is I am in a rut I tried a few programs and just were not feeling it. I was on vacation this weekend and read Power to the people and S&S and everything mad sense and a lot goes against the CrossFit logic.

I have a 16kg and a 24kg kb, plus some others in "pounds".

Anyway what I like about S&S is that it can be done everyday or almost every day. I try to train 4 times a week and add one to two games of men's league beer league hockey in a week. ROP is a 3 day a week program but I really don't know what to do for the fourth or fifth day for training.

I am open to suggestions.

Thanks Gregg

A very recommended path from an article here suggested hitting the simple goals of S&S before embarking on other programs. I'm doing S&S right now and plan on switching to the RoP from ETK once I reach the simple goals. If you are going to do S&S more than 4 times a week, its important to take time on the swings and avoid pushing into the burn. There's a thread on Heart Rate monitors that goes into a lot of detail on this. If you treat the swings as a HIIT program or chase a time, you will probably need to dial back the number of days a week.

With five years of kettlebell experience, you may be fine to go on ETK. I'd recommend seeing an SFG instructor once just to check your technique.

I'm definitely one of the least qualified on this forum though. I'm just funneling information I've learned from Pavel's books and this site.

When I was doing S&S last year I was able to do 24kg 1 arm swings in 5 mins and all 10 Tgu with 16kg in under 10 mins. Then I stopped due to a separated shoulder from hockey. Still to this day Tgu scare the heck out of me going over a 16kg. I had many of shoulder dislocations years ago and had my left shoulder repaired over 7 years ago but it just in my mind.

My KB form is pretty good but there are not SFG that I know of in the area to check it out fully. I live in nj

Gregory, I would suggest doing S&S and not push too hard. Enjoy your practice while you pursue mastery of the skills. Technique wise, could you post a video and let many eyes offer assistance? Best of luck!!

OK decided on S&S. This is how I faired tonight. Did the standard warmup. Then did #24kg 2 hand swings in 6 mins exact. #16 kg TGU and finished all 10 in 6:50

I took my time and did good form on the TGU. I guess I need to start incorporating a bigger bell. The problem is when I hold up a #24 it just feels too heavy, but the #16 is too light. I know it goes against the program but should I use a bell in between. I have a #40 (pounds I know) bell I got for a gift. Should I just use that and work my way up

Thanks

What if you tried doing the get-ups super slow with the 16kg? Like 5-10 seconds per transition and then 10 seconds in each position?

I know you already said you've settled on S&S, but wanted to point out another reason that might be a better choice for you. The ROP has a lot of volume in the press, which could be a problem since you say you have a bad shoulder.

Many people with bad shoulders have gotten a lot of benefits from TGUs, so I think S&S is probably better for that reason as well.

As far as the 16kg being too light and the 24kg being too heavy; I agree about trying to hold positions for 5-10 seconds throughout the TGU.

Another thing that I believed helped me was standing static holds. I literally push-pressed or jerked the heavy kettlebell overhead and held it for time (30 seconds or so). Along these lines, I often just hold the kettlebell overhead for the 30 seconds in the standing portion of the TGU (maybe just the last rep or two).

I have a #40 (pounds I know) bell I got for a gift. Should I just use that and work my way up?

Gregory, In a previous thread I asked this very question and Pavel said it was fine to use intermediate size bells in S&S.

Best,
Chris

Thanks for the replies everyone. Tgu are def easier on my shoulders but I do want to work on my pressing skill and strength some time down the road

Question anyone know a good place to get kettlebells online or at a store. Looking to get a 32kg. I know shipping online is a killer.

Thanks

Rogue Fitness and Kettlebells USA are my favorite online. Rogue is the best price-wise (great value). Kettlebells USA is a little more expensive, but both are kettlebells you'll never regret. No defects in the handles and they'll last you forever. It might be bad taste to post links, since I believe StrongFirst sells kettlebells by Perform Better. I have some steel competition bells from Perform Better. I don't know much about their iron kettlebells, but to be endorsed by strongfirst should say something of their quality.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom