all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S Physique (humorous, but not really joking)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Oscar I would be very careful with analogies with other species.

Fun fact: how do birds prepare to migrate? A human would start running or walking, and increase distance gradually, until a large distance can be covered daily. The birds, they just stay put and eat a lot: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2009/03/migrating-birds-eating-exercise. Somehow, the birds still develop adaptations required to fly long distances, like increased hemoglobin concentration. They don't need the training stimulus to do their migration, some or stimulus kickstarts the adaptations.

This reminds me of my cat. We had a rough winter here in Montreal and the cat stayed inside most of winter with little or no exercise. What did it do the first time it could go out? It climbed 25 feet up a tree. Apparently, it does not need the training stimulus to be able to do this.

This goes to show that different species can be very different.Each metabolism is adapted to specific needs. I know we are close to chimps, but humans diverged from them millions of years ago. So, if some species don't need any proteins, or only minimal amounts of them, it doesn't mean that as humans we don't need them. It doesn't mean that we need to eat 3 pounds of meat a day either automatically.

I have read so many different opinions about how much meat we need, each supposedly supported by "science", that I think that we just don't know. Human nutrition is extremely complex as the human metabolism is well adapted to work properly using many different diets. There may also be differences between people, depending on their ancestry.

Also, not eating meat does not meat not eating proteins
In my oldish age I have gone more veggie, but still eat meat about once a week. My body weight is same, but strength has gone way up with S&S (i also dont always have time to cook and prepare meals so I tend to eat a lot of fruits, macadamia nuts, lentils, salad, avocado throughout the day. I eat 2-3 eggs daily as well and uncured bacon- which is still a form of processed meat so not healthy, but good!).

Lentils have about 18g of proteins per cup. An egg has about 6 and a slice of bacon 3. So, 3 eggs, 3 slices of bacon and a cup of lentils gives you 45g of proteins, and that's only 600-700 calories.. Add the small amount of protein from other food sources (rice, nuts, ...) to get to 1500-2500 calories or more needed to stay at the same weight, and the weekly meat, and you probably can get close to 70-80g of proteins a day or even more.

What I wonder is what makes us think we need 30% or more calories from protein when the above examples (quite similar to a grown human) do just fine with less than 10%.

One more thing to add. Protein recommendations differ for a person who is sedentary vs. a person who wants to build muscle mass. A sedentary person can probably get by on getting 10% of calories from protein. For a person who is really looking to pack on muscle mass, 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight is the common broscience "better safe than sorry" recommendation.

Hello pavel. You say you train martial arts and s and s.
How do you combine these to?
Do you do 5 days a week s and s?
And if so how often and when do you train your martial arts?
I am a martial artist to and was just wondering if it could work for me to with a fulltime job and family etc and of course my martial arts training .

i had spent time with SnS in the past- good time
i had decent shoulder gridle and foreams, chest of non-lifting person, nice butt, very thick abs. oh, and i raided chicken most of the time

Ive never had to worry about fat, but that means I'd be a pretty darn skinny greek statue. The functional athleticism is what keeps me with kettlebells but i wish it would be easier to get me to 185 or so (+10#)... in my 30s, i did it with barbell splits and pounding food but the barbell work wrecked me and im not willing to eat unclean so 4000 cal of clean food got exhausting. life is full of compromises... health and longevity i guess.

One more thing to add. Protein recommendations differ for a person who is sedentary vs. a person who wants to build muscle mass. A sedentary person can probably get by on getting 10% of calories from protein. For a person who is really looking to pack on muscle mass, 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight is the common broscience "better safe than sorry" recommendation.

Seems like I've read that as we age that one requires more protein intake due to poor absorption or whatever. Not sure if thats true or not, but I've added a bit of whey protein to my intake lately. I have it with 2 of my meals, breakfast and dinner. This probably puts me getting around 130-150grams daily. I've stuffed myself with 250grams+ in that past and it didn't do squat for me. I do much better on a higher carb diet personally. It may be due to my wonderful Hashimoto's Disease.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom