all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S planning questions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Alexander Halford

Level 8 Valued Member
Hello, comrades,

How do you plan your 100 swings into 5 minutes, if breaking it into sets? Do you perform 10 swings with right hand, rest a few, or immediately switching to the left hand? Which programming worked best for you? 10 x 10, 5 x 20, or other? May be sets of 5 towards the end? I'm curious to know.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

30 sec intervalls (rest the remaining sec after finishing swings)
1. 5 reps
2. 10 reps
3. 15 reps
4. 20 reps
30 sec rest and repeat
(I usually do 4 rounds -> 10 min, 200 swings)
You could even switch to lighter or heavier weight according to number of swings. I like the variety of these sets and the nice mixture of more/less rest and more/less reps.
T. Reifkind has a video on yt. "Sinister".

How do you plan your 100 swings into 5 minutes

Are you asking specifically about for S&S?

If yes, start each set of 10 on the :30. That will give you about 12 sec of rest between sets. And you actually have a few seconds more to spare towards the end, because you can finish your 10th set on the 5:00. (Because from start to finish of the 10 x 10, there are 10 sets, and 9 rest periods).

If not S&S, then, any way you want. Probably depends on what weight you are using relative to your capabilities as to what technique will work the best.

@Alexander Halford, I misunderstood your original question here. I answered about how I plan my regular swing training, not 100 swings in 5 minutes. Everyone should be aware that 100 swings in 5 minutes shouldn't be attempted as a training session, just as a test once in a while.

-S-

Hello,

@Alexander Halford
There is no typical sets / reps. 5L - 5R, 10L - 10R, etc... You can "save time" if you do not drop the bell between sets. So if you go for 10 / 10 you will cross less times. Nonetheless, in all cases, a test has to remain a test. It can be taxing to aim for that at each session.

However, here are some tactics to reach the 100 in 5 minutes:
Simple & Sinister + Heart Rate Training
Simple & Sinister Progression Tactic

Kind regards,

Pet'

There is no typical sets / reps. 5L - 5R, 10L - 10R, etc... You can "save time" if you do not drop the bell between sets. So if you go for 10 / 10 you will cross less times.

No, I think this is incorrect. S&S is 10, rest, 10, rest, 10, rest.... to 10 sets. Period.

Re-reading "Power to the people", to be specific - high tension five key conditions, the following lines caught my sight:

"High values of fatigue and tension are mutually exclusive. When your muscle, mind, and cardio-respiratory system are tired, you cannot produce much force."

I thought that this condition may partially fit the S&S session, partially, because I'm talking about big body weight people with relatively low endurance, like me, for example - for the moment. Indeed, my TGU's went harder at the days after a hundred swings (which usually leaving me with my tongue on my shoulder). I do understand that this program has a special purpose, but, in your opinion, wouldn't it be more effective to split the S&S (and accessories, if done) training to "ballistic" days and "grind" days?

I think it's nearly always good to spread the training load so that you can do it as recovered as possible. However, if you plan to do S&S six days a week, and then split it in half with swing days and TGU days, you do half of the work in the six days. How about swings in the morning and TGUs in the evening?

Hello,

@Antti
This is a good strategy. Each training has to bring you more than it takes from you. Plus, each time you'll train, you'll be fresh, so your trainings will be more prolific because you will be able to focus on maximal tension and excellent technique :)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Yes, that could be a good decision, if you have enough time and concentration to do 2 trainings a day.
As about the half work - it is and it is not. At the end of the day, if the objective is to hit the simple target, it can be done in a different ways, I suppose. By saying "accessories" in the previous post, I meant a training which is equal to the standard S&S training load, but involves only one type of the movement - ballistic or grinding. Example - one day of swings and cleans, another of tgu's and presses. If you wish, to compensate the missing hip hinge training at the grinding day, heavy kb deadlift can be added, and some sort of accessory work for tgu at the ballistic day (split squat with kb up, lets say); all that at the lower weights/volumes. Ne c'est pas? So, instead of 8-12 hours between 2 short trainings you get 24 hours between 2 normal, just different. It may come in hand with the heavier weights, because, from my little experience, not everyone is capable to recover just in 24 hours after entire body strength training (which tgu is); while alternating the strength and endurance trainings will give you 48 hours, which is decent and sometimes even necessary for the folks over their 40's.
Can't help myself, always loved to experiment:)

"High values of fatigue and tension are mutually exclusive. When your muscle, mind, and cardio-respiratory system are tired, you cannot produce much force."

I thought that this condition may partially fit the S&S session, partially, because I'm talking about big body weight people with relatively low endurance, like me, for example - for the moment. Indeed, my TGU's went harder at the days after a hundred swings (which usually leaving me with my tongue on my shoulder). I do understand that this program has a special purpose, but, in your opinion, wouldn't it be more effective to split the S&S (and accessories, if done) training to "ballistic" days and "grind" days?

I don't think so. I don't know of any reason to separate ballistics and grinds. Ballistics (swings) come first, before grinds (get-ups) for the reason you stated so that swings can be maximally explosive, but the two can still be done on the same day as described in the program.

@Alexander Halford and @Anna C, if I may weigh in on this:

How much rest you take between swings and getups will depend on how you do each and what your goals are. The program, "by the book", does not require a long rest between swings and getups or that they be broken into separate sessions, but there are variables to consider. E.g., if this:
[a] hundred swings (... usually leaving me with my tongue on my shoulder)
then the first thing we should say is that you may not be following the directions - you're supposed to own the weight, and work on owning the weight, and not push yourself hard except perhaps when you're testing, and even then, we hope it's not that big a stretch for you to complete.

The "own the weight" idea goes hand in hand with daily training - this isn't a program where you're supposed to greatly tax yourself and then recover but the opposite, one which you approach like your job, which might leave you a little tired but not more than that.

But having said that, if you choose two sessions per day, one for swings and one for getups and any other strength training, I don't think you'll be doing yourself a disservice, and your getups will feel stronger because you'll be fresher, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that, either. But I'm talking about leaving a few hours between swings and strength training, and not relegating each to its own day. But even then, if you have reached your S&S goal and are scaling it back to accommodate other activities, then you are really the master of your own schedule and should do your swings and getups in a way that helps and doesn't hinder your other activities, and if that's doing swings and getups on separate days, that's fine, IMHO.

JMO.

-S-

Hello, comrades,

How do you plan your 100 swings into 5 minutes, if breaking it into sets? Do you perform 10 swings with right hand, rest a few, or immediately switching to the left hand? Which programming worked best for you? 10 x 10, 5 x 20, or other? May be sets of 5 towards the end? I'm curious to know.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

It's funny. I totally own the 32kg bell. I can do the 100 1 handed swings with next to no rest between sets. At the 40kg bell it's just too heavy for that. I can do the 100 swings but it takes about 25 minutes!

It sounds like you need to scale back one kettlebell level like I had to, in my case from the 40 to the 32.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom