all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S + Press

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The only way to press a lot is to press a lot. 2-3 x a week Take your 24 and do multiple sets of 1-2. Aim for 10 reps on each side and start working your way up. Then do get ups with a 32 afterward.

I have found with the press, if you don't use it you lose it.

The problem is soreness. You have to find a way to balance S&S and the pressing training. I've without trying to use any special planning or science aimed to develop both S&S and kettlebell pressing together. I found I just needed to be sensitive to not overdoing it.

Overall, what I discovered for myself about myself is that I could manage around 2-3 sets of military presses around 2-3 times a week (remember that how many reps is more variable and of course tend to go up in time before you jump up to a heavier kettlebell) and my pressing weight went up. It likely has as much to do with technique and movement-pattern training as it has to do with actual strength, as I'd think the TGUs cover a lot of the same territory.

I eventually could do a press or two with the 40kg bell, which is the same weight I was doing my S&S TGUs with.

Last edited:
I'll toss in my hat with others recommending the Soju and Tuba method - fits in nicely with S&S practice and leaves plenty of gas in the tank.
How did you program this altogether? Did you fall back or slow down on S&S in order to maintain it?

You might try the Daily Dose press program, which you can find here via search. Basically two sets of 5 reps each arm with 75% of your 1RM most days, with some off days and some heavier days thrown in.

-S-

You might try the Daily Dose press program, which you can find here via search. Basically two sets of 5 reps each arm with 75% of your 1RM most days, with some off days and some heavier days thrown in.

-S-
Found it, thank you! Seems a very interesting option. Although I will have issues to fit in with only a 16 and 24 kg bells. Again I found myself stupid to sell my 20kg. Pure S&S wasn’t a good advisor in this case.

Several SF instructors have got strong with a 16KG bell, Mike Sousa for one. Several ways I can think of:
  • 16kg TGU with a press at each step of the way
    • time under tension
    • different angles of presses (vertical, horizontal (from starting position), angled presses
  • 16kg bottoms up presses
    • really lights the stabilising muscles
  • 16kg bottoms up TGU with presses at each step of the way
  • A several sets of doubles with the 24kg on the non-S&S days
The most obvious answer could be : Buy a 20kg bell....... :p

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom