all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S - problem during get up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jan Henneau

First Post
I have been training S&S for almost a year now and have moved up from 16kg to 32kg (10x10). During this time I did not encounter any particular issues.

Recently I bought a 40kg kettlebell but experienced that the get up was too difficult. As the book suggested I dropped down two weights to 24kg for a week (and aimed to continue with 32kg for another week prior to re trying with the 40kg).

Since I last trained with the 24kg however I noticed that during the get up (in particular with the "To Hand" movement) I am feeling a "loss of strength" in my right arm / lat. No pain though, just a very wobbly feeling. Whereas I could handle the 24kg previously without issues.

Has any one experienced this ? Could this be fatigue, something that can be remedied by taking some time off?

Thanks for your input

Best regards,

J

An 8kg jump is definitely huge for some especially once you're moving past the 32kg

A few questions

1. Have you managed the timed standard with the 32kg?

2. Have you tried doing other not by the book approach for getups such as consecutive reps on one side?

Thanks for your reply, re your questions:
1. Yes
2. No
I agree the jump from 32kg to 40kg was too big but currently dropped to 24kg and that's the one that is giving me trouble. I can try the consecutive reps on one side.
Thanks again

Video would be helpful—hard to pin anything down without seeing it.

Any other contributing factors? (injuries, falls, changes in work or home etc...)

Video would be helpful—hard to pin anything down without seeing it.

Any other contributing factors? (injuries, falls, changes in work or home etc...)
@Jan Henneau ... Read "etc..." as "tried a new intimate move with the wife".

"Dan Fielding: Sascha? That thing you told me about... did you ever try it with any of your other husbands?
Sascha Minkoff: A few times.
Dan Fielding: And did any of them... survive?
Sascha Minkoff: Only John Wayne. But he never walked the same."

I had a similar situation which was helped by trigger point therapy at my local PT. I had built up a bunch of knots around the scapula area and developed some numbness in my fingers which came with a slip in strength. Once I got the work done the numbness cleared up and the strength came back to 100%. My feeling is that during single arm swings I was letting my shoulder move to freely - not packing it in, I believe this led to the problem.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom