all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S progression 16, 20 and 28 kg kettlebells?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

davidbarcena

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello everyone.

I'm new to the forum and to the strenght training in general.

I'm 40 and have feen fairly sedentary for the most part of the last 15 years. About a year ago, I started training at home (mostly bodyweight exercises) and some barbell and dumbell training in the gym for the last 3 months or so).

I now moved to a rural area and the nearest gym is quite far away so I thought I'd go back to home training, buy some kettlebells and follow Simple & Sinister.

Kettlebells are quite pricey here, but I found a bargain for a 2 and set of 3 kettlebells 16, 20 and 28 kg. I know in S&S pavel recommends following the 16 > 24 > 32 kg progression, so what do you think? Maybe I could still follor S&S properly with the 16 > 20 > 28 progression instead? And then in the future consider getting a 32 kg?

For reference, I'm 186 cm tall (6'1") 88 kg bodyweight (194 lbs). My 1RM bench press is 75kg and I can do a maximum of 7 strict pull ups.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Should work fine

book recommends increasing the weight on 20% of the reps every 2 weeks when making a 4KG jump (from 16-20) and every 4 weeks when making an 8kg jump (from 20-28)

Yeah, I see no issues. The jump from 16 to 20 will be quite easy. The jump from 20 to 28 might be a bit more challenging but should be very manageable.

No, it will never work.

Just kidding..... ;) Should work fine.

Don't hesitate to interchange your 16 and 20 depending on how you feel each day. And go ahead and use the 28kg for 2H swings as soon as your swing is solid. (and use the 28 for kettlebell deadlifts, even in your beginning stages)

Also spend plenty of time with 20kg get-ups, and don't rush them. Time under tension and focus on technique will prepare you for 28kg.

@davidbarcena do what Anna said and you'll be solid! The jump from 20kg to 28kg for get ups might be hard, but with time and patience I think you'll be able to make it work.

20 to 28 is a big jump. Percentage wise it is similar to the percentage weight difference between 24 and 32 though. So you might proceed being aware of the size of the jump and realising that progress will be slower ie you will need to spend more time on 20 so it is really easy doing the work before you step up to a set with 32. Anyway, the back up plan might be to get a 24kg later on if you decided that you need one after you have worked through the 16 and 20. The added experience will help you decide what to do at that point.

Thanks a lot everyone for your answers and advice.

I bought the 16, 20, 28 set.

I'll start S&S soon and see how it goes. It I find the jump from 20 to 28 too much I can always get a 24 as Oab suggests. But I'll try without it first.

Anyway I tried with the 16 and two hands swings are fairly easy (I have to work on the technique thought) but Get ups with 16 feel extremely difficult!! I can't even imagine how hard the get up with 32 must be!!

I think it'll take quite a while to master 16, so 28 seems far away in the future. We'll see.

I'll keep you updated. Thanks again!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom