all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S Progression advise from 32 to 36

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

adirik

Level 4 Valued Member
I have been on the SS program for past 3 months, starting with 24 kg swings and a 35 lb DB for get ups and close to achieving the simple goal with the 32.
By close I mean getting the 100 swings in 6 to 7 mins most sessions and can get to 5 mins if I “push it” – which I know means I “don’t own this yet”.
I get the 10 TGUs in 10 minutes and am very pleased that I can do this with a 32 – which I thought was near impossible frankly when I started with a 35 lb DB.

Last week I tried 2 SS sessions where I plugged in a 77.9 lb bell (32 with a 5 lb and 2.5 lb plate duck-taped) for 1 set of TGUs.
They were challenging but I got them and felt good.
I just bought a 36 kb bell, so I would like to continue the SS program with the next goal of “owning the 36”.

For swings, the 32 will keep me busy for a while until I can own the simple goal but will start to mix in the 36 slowly in September
For TGUs, I thought to try one of these 2 approaches for the next few weeks
- 1 x 36, 4 x 32….then move to more depending on how I feel
- Or > 1 with the 36 to the standing position only

Any other suggestions?

thanks

I would sneak in a few sets with the 36 for both swings and getups... don't time it yet until you can strongly do all sets with a 36

Thanks Pavel and Mark for the responses

I have not tried 1 handed swings with the 36 yet - just some practice sets of 2 handed swings after I got the new bell home into my garage gym.

Agree that duck taping plates is not a good long term idea for TGUs (or swings) - but it served the purpose of letting me get a few get ups with a weight close to a 36 and increasing my confidence that I should buy a 36!

My thought initially was to weave in some TGUs with the 36 while I keep the 32 for swings until I can "own" the simple goal - but maybe I should try to also mix the 36 in for swings too - and not focus on time, keep reps low and powerful, long rests..?

thanks

Why not keep it "simple" and attain the simple standard first? (pun intended)

if you are a bit confused, I'll be happy to help.. send me your email, I might have something that would be perfect for your situation

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom