all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S progression

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Commando

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi,
I got a 16, 24 and 32kg bell.
I own 16 1h and 24 2h. The normal progression would be the slow transition to
24 1h. But wouldnt it be easier to work in the 32 2h and after I own it to go 24 1h?
I mean 32 2h is equal to 16 1h, right? Or does the generated force differ and the 32 got a much bigger impact on the whole body despite its 2h in my case?

Thanks for your help,
Steph

as @masa says after the initial learning of 2 hand swings, one is only supposed to do 1 hand swings as one moves up in weight, swapping out a set at a time for a heavier weight (excepting shadow swings). Wether or not that will work for you is another matter. I prefer the book way, even though it feels like hell until you have switched completely.

I did all my progressions with one handed swings. I think that is the best way to do it for S&S training. One of the reasons I believe that is because you need to train your grip to handle the weight in one hand. If you train with the two handed swings you will miss out on that. Some other reasons are shoulder packing and the anti-rotation muscles. You will miss out on working those aspects with the two handed swings. Although you do a hip hinge with both movements there are some very different elements when doing the one handed swing.

Last edited:
Thank you for your imput. I did it they book-way when I made the step from 16 to 24, but anything mental blocks me from 1h 24. Ill try slowly to work it in.

Thank you for your imput. I did it they book-way when I made the step from 16 to 24, but anything mental blocks me from 1h 24. Ill try slowly to work it in.
You can change grip mid-set, if it helps. E.g., 2H x 5 + 1H x 5.

What helped me in weight transition was: "dippy bird/drinking bird" movement. Basically you just hold the bell in one hand then hinge and plank. I.e. you don't try and project power into the bell. The bell will reach below chest level in the plank positoon, but over time you transition to swinging the bell. Just disregard if it doesn-t make sense.

Hi,
I mean 32 2h is equal to 16 1h, right? Or does the generated force differ and the 32 got a much bigger impact on the whole body despite its 2h in my case?

In my opinion the 32kg with two hands is a very different exercise than 16kg (or 24kg) with one hand and cannot be compared.

When you follow S&S by the letter, you should really own the one-hand swing when increasing the bell size.

Am not sure myself, that when I own the 24kg, means being able to bang out 100 swings in 5 minutes on a regular basis, that I also will be able to do 10 reps of 32kg one-hand swings with decent form.

What you can do, use the higher weight and do less reps per set and mix it with your 10 reps per set of your working weight, e.g. do 10 reps with 16kg, rest, do 2 reps with 24kg, rest, repeat on the other side, and so on.

Slowly increase the reps with 24kg and reduce the sets with 16kg to stay within your 100 swings total.

Hi,
I got a 16, 24 and 32kg bell.
I own 16 1h and 24 2h. The normal progression would be the slow transition to
24 1h. But wouldnt it be easier to work in the 32 2h and after I own it to go 24 1h?

I think your idea makes sense. The book does say do both types of swings... it just doesn't say specifically how to work them in beyond the initial stage. For the program, it says 1H is what you do once you progress to it... but I read this as after you get to the point of being able to do 10 x 10 with 24kg, because the book as written doesn't have males doing 1H swings with less than 24kg. So I think, sure, use the 32kg for 2H swings to help your strength and power development as you're getting to that point.

Why would you do two-arm swings at all if the one-arm version is so great? Because two-arm swings generate more power, as proven on the force platform. With reduced stabilization demands, you can really let it rip. Hence, do both types of swings. When you are very competent in the two-arm swing, and not a moment sooner, add the one-arm swing to your practice.

Tsatsouline, Pavel. Kettlebell Simple & Sinister (Kindle-Positionen536-540). Unknown. Kindle-Version.

And later in the sample progressions it goes from 24 kg one-arm directly to sets of 32 kg one-arm.

However, Pavel also says to progress gradually. So take your time.

Also reread the chapter "The Goals and how to reach them". Look very carefully at the sample progressions. In the example the volume stays the same for 14 sessions (4 sets of 24, 6 sets of 32) + some deload days with 2H shadow swings @ 20 kg. So Pavel has pretty slow progressions in mind.

I've tried many ways to progress through S&S and the recommendation I got from @aciampa almost 3 years ago still proves to be the best:

Do this for your typical S&S swing session:
- heavy bell, 5 x swings on the minute for 20min
- moderate bell, 10 x swings on the minute for 10min

Alternate these two sessions by your energy levels and feel. When you are trying to go for the 5min goal, take your moderate bell (which should be your goal bell load) and over the course of 2-4 sessions, compress the time down to 10 x swings every 30sec.

I cheated and bought the in between bells. 28k, 36kg. I didn't like the idea of the big jumps in weight and felt like working in heavier bells made me own the lighter bell faster. FWIW.

I recommend to keep doing one-hand swings. Safe the two-hand swing (lighter weight, shadow swings) once you own "Simple"

@Commando, as you've seen from the different replies you've received, there is no one "correct" answer. We can say that correct, by the book, is to progress to using the 24 kg for all 1-hand swings before going heavier.

Using the 32 kg, however, isn't bad, it just isn't S&S "by the book". Heavy 2-handed swings do offer the benefits you mention, so you now need to define your goal. The S&S book explains quite clearly why the 1-handed swing is the swing of choice for most people - decide if that's you and, if so but you still want to use your 32 kg, use it as a side-dish but not the main course of your S&S meal.

E.g., if your time allows, do a set or two of 2-handed 32 kg swings, then rest 5-10 minutes, then do your S&S session. Or save the 32 kg work for a day when you're not doing an S&S session, but only do a little, again a set or two, maybe 3 at most.

-S-

I have one question regarding that approach - should I switch between 2 and 1 handed during the swings? Because that seems almost impossible. Or should I put the bell down after 2 swings, switch to 1 hand and continue that way?

should I switch between 2 and 1 handed during the swings?

That question and answer appears in the article comments; screen capture below.

I agree with what Steve says here -- I would definitely switch during the set. It takes a little practice, but just try it, with a light bell outside on the grass, if needed, and you'll have it in no time. As the article says, "The reason you will mix single-arm and double-arm swings in a single set is to allow your two-hand swing to “teach” your one-hand swing. "

upload_2018-6-1_13-46-16.png

Personally, I have found it easier to work in a heavier weight by using 1-handed deadlifts as a transitional exercise, instead of 2-hand swings.

I'm in the heavier 2hsw camp. If you want to lift heavy weights you have to lift heavy weights, just work them in slowly and gradually. This helps me with overall strength which bleeds over into greater strength in other movements. WTH effect..

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom