all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S + pull up fighter program + push

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

antiquity

Level 3 Valued Member
This is my first post here. I have a sustained background in weight training and sports, and have recently become enamored with KB training. I am 47, 175 lbs, and have the following numbers: BP max = 295 lbs, DL max = 405 lbs, Squat max = 365 lbs, and OHP max = 165 lbs. I can also do 25 pull ups and run a sub 20 min 5K. I have done 531 for years, with a lot of bodyweight assistance plus play sports and stay active.

Starting S&S I purchased a 28KG bell, and also had a 16KG bell already. I can do 100 1-arm swings with the 28KG bell, and also (after a couple weeks of practice with the lighter bell) get 5 TGUs with the 28KG bell. I haven't done a timed test yet. I am wondering if anyone can give me feedback on what I am doing with my total program. I am not doing heavy Barbell work, but still feel like I need some extra work to keep my total strength up.

Typical workout:
3 rounds of prying squats, bridges, and halos. I use the 16KG bell for squats and halos.
Prescribed swings for the day (usually rotate each workout between 1-arm and 2-arm swings)
TGU's. (Add in a few with 16KG bell as I feel is needed, and sometimes do all 5 with the 28KG bell)
(Takes about 25 min at this point)

Then do the Pull up Fighter program (using max of 15 pull ups, from a dead hang). Total is about 50 pull ups or so.
Superset these with ring dips (matching the same number) or 5x5 (or 3x8) of OHP or Bench press. or 5x10 weighted ring push ups
(Total time ends up being about 45 min all said and done)

I work out 6 days a week with S&S, and do some variation of pull ups/push after like above. Is this sustainable? My goals are to stay strong (and keep looking strong) while learning new skills and staying ready fo sports/life. Should I continue this until I reach simple goal with a 32KG bell? Or would it be better to go for a larger jump in bell size like the 36 KG bell? Thanks for any advice.

Welcome to the forum!
It doesnt seem sustainable in the long term, but if youre recovering well you could continue to do it for a while and see what happens.

Thank you for the reply. I wonder what the best option for me would be? I really like the S&S as a different protocol than what I am used, but from what I read here people seem to describe as a base strength to build from. What if you already have that? I want to experience the benefit and satisfaction of S&S, but don't want my overall strength to suffer. What would you suggest for someone with quite a bit of strength and experience, but who wants to benefit from S&S?

You're starting with a great strength and conditioning base so I personally think you could start slowly incorporating the 36 with the 4 week step cycles outlined in the book. It's unorthodox to go from 28-36 but 8 kg jumps are not. If so, you'd drop s&s to 3-4 times per week (which is recommended after reaching Simple) add in 2-3 days of your push/pull routine on the off days and that's 5 or 6 days a week covering pretty much all the bases. The only downside I can see is then you won't own a 32kg bell, which is a really nice size to have around!

You're starting with a great strength and conditioning base so I personally think you could start slowly incorporating the 36 with the 4 week step cycles outlined in the book. It's unorthodox to go from 28-36 but 8 kg jumps are not. If so, you'd drop s&s to 3-4 times per week (which is recommended after reaching Simple) add in 2-3 days of your push/pull routine on the off days and that's 5 or 6 days a week covering pretty much all the bases. The only downside I can see is then you won't own a 32kg bell, which is a really nice size to have around!
Thank you. I am struggling a bit, as you suggest, with my next two KB selections since I started with an unconventional weight at 28KG (I also own a 16 KB one). I was thinking either a 24 and 32 or a 24 and 36. The advantage of the former is a nice array of KB's in the most usable weight range. I can do swings, snatches, get ups, presses, etc.... using all three regularly. The disadvantage is I would have three within a relatively narrow range. The advantage of the latter is the heavy bell to start mixing in gradually, with the disadvantage being it may be too heavy for most things. Another thing I should mention is that I do have a pretty solid set up with a squat rack/bench/plates and DBs so any real heavy work I can do there. Any further thoughts or feedback are appreciated.

Thank you. I am struggling a bit, as you suggest, with my next two KB selections since I started with an unconventional weight at 28KG (I also own a 16 KB one). I was thinking either a 24 and 32 or a 24 and 36. The advantage of the former is a nice array of KB's in the most usable weight range. I can do swings, snatches, get ups, presses, etc.... using all three regularly. The disadvantage is I would have three within a relatively narrow range. The advantage of the latter is the heavy bell to start mixing in gradually, with the disadvantage being it may be too heavy for most things. Another thing I should mention is that I do have a pretty solid set up with a squat rack/bench/plates and DBs so any real heavy work I can do there. Any further thoughts or feedback are appreciated.
Another option, since you have plates already, is something @kennycro@@aol.com and a few others on here have talked about called a
Hungarian Core Blaster. You can make one yourself for about $20 with parts from the hardware store if I remember correctly and you can really load it up. I believe it's usable only for two hand swings but I haven't googled it or seen one in person... might be suitable for one hand as well.

I think you're more than ready for a 36kg..

If you enjoy S and S, then you can just "repeat until strong" as the saying goes

However, if you enjoy the barbell more, then you can revisit it then periodically touch on s and s

You can make one yourself for about $20 with parts from the hardware store if I remember correctly and you can really load it up. I believe it's usable only for two hand swings... might be suitable for one hand as well.
Hungarian Core Blaster

This a good video that show you how to make it and how it works for swings.

The video demonstrates making one for Standard Weight Plates with a 1 inch hole.

You can purchase pipe with a larger diameter, if you have Olympic Plates.

Yes, it cost around $20 to make and about a minute to assemble,

Yes, it requires a two hand swing. It is only good for swings.

It is adjustable. You can load it up with more than enough weight for heavy swings.

I worked up to swing with 170 lbs with mine.

Another Loading Approach

Attaching Band to a light or moderate Kettlebells is another method.

It allows you to increase the loading and works the muscle in the Kettlebells Swing differently; evokes a different training response.

This post provide more information on Banded Kettlebell Swings

As the post indicates, where you anchor the Band to the Kettlebell changes the muscle involvement in the movement. Think of it as Bench Pressing by changing the bench angle from Incline to Flat to Decline.

The same muscles are working but the work load shifts and it a bit different.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom