all posts post new thread

S&S Quest

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Here's today, August 5th 2017:

swings: 2 x 10 (l/r) 24kg. 4 x 10 (l/r) 32.8kg. 4 x 10 (two handed) 32.8kg

Dumbbell GUs: 1 (left handed) 60lb. 3 attempts with right side, faulted 3 times.

Kettlebell GUs: 6 x 10 (l/r) 24kg

Faulted again on my right side with the 60lb dumbbell. Was just gassed after 3 straight attempts, could only manage 6 more total with the 24kg kettle bell.

Something is just wrong with my right side get up. I'll make a video this week, would love to hear people's feedback.

Here's today, August 6th, 2017:

swings: 4 x 10 (l/r) 32.8kg. 4 x 10 (two handed) 32.8kg, 2 x 10 (l/r) 24kg.

TGUs: 10 x 1 (l/r) 24kg

GTG Pull-ups: 1 x 2 -- 1 x 2 -- 1 x 1 over 7 hours.

Attempted a 60lb get up on each side. Couldn't complete one on either side. Was able to stand on my left, but had to let the dumbbell down immediately.

Refining my get-up in anticipation of making a video later this week. Focused on keeping the load-bearing shoulder away from the ear when rolling to the elbow and in the tall sit.
Keeping the bicep by the ear in the lunge. And making that lunge long, on the way up and on the way down.

Here's yesterday, August 7th, 2017:

GTG pull-ups: 1 x 2 -- 1 x 1 -- 1 x 1 throughout the day.

That's all. Felt like I needed a day off from the 'bells.

Decided to start recording my weight on these logs, since I have a scale and might as well. Yesterday I weighed 179.0 lbs, which is actually down about 1.4 pounds since about a week ago. Not on a diet, per se, just eating less overall, trying to get more protein.

Here's today, August 8th, 2017:

swings: 6 x 10 (l/r) 32.8kg, 4 x 10 (two handed) 32.8kg -- 9 minutes.

TGUs: 2 x 1 (left) 60lb dumbbell, 1 x 1 (right) 60lb dumbbell, 1 x 1 (right) 24kg kettlebell.

GTG pull-ups: 1 x 1 -- 1 x 2 -- 1 x 1.

Finally got one 60lb dumbbell get-up on my right side. Felt gassed immediately after. Did one more on my left successfully, attempted another on my right and got close, but was just not tense enough through the arm when I stood -- like always.

Got a 24kg kettlebell get up on my right side after that and that felt like "it" for the day.

I drilled the lunge-to-stand on my right side without weight several times, as I have periodically for the last few weeks while trying to get the 60lb TGU to work on my right. Can't tell if I'm getting better at it or not.

Swings felt pretty good. I have a feeling the GTG pull-ups have already made my grip a bit stronger. Today was the first day I didn't do any with the 24kilo bell. I default to that weight when I feel like my grip on the 32.8 is getting weak. Today it wasn't necessary, which was nice.

And today I weigh 179.0 lbs, same as yesterday.

Wednesday August 9th, 2017:

swings: 10 x 10 (l/r) 32.8kg -- 10:30

TGUs: 2 x 1 (l/r) 60lb dumbbell, 8 x 1 (l/r) 24kg kettlebell -- 23:00

no GTG pull-ups today. felt like taking a day off from them.

Still think the pull-ups helped build the grip strength that allowed me to move up to the 32.8 bell for swings, though as I mentioned before the sets of two-hand swings worked my grip more than I'd expected.

First day I did all 10 sets single-handed with the 32.8kg bell. Doubt I would have been able to move up as quickly if I had't mixed in pull-ups.

Get-ups felt good. Didn't go for a second 60lb one on either side. Saved energy for the 24 kilo KB. Also started on my right (dominant) side. Usually I start on my left, as Pavel suggests in the S&S book. But I feel like I drill the right side ones better if I start with them.

today's weight: 178.2 pounds.

Friday August 11th, 2017 -- traveling, ended up at a gym with only a 50lb kettle bell. wack.

swings: 10 x 10 (l/r) 50lb.

TGUs: 3 x 1 (left) 60lb dumbbell. 2 x 1 (right) 60lb dumbbell, 1 x 1 (left) 50lb kettle bell

Sunday, August 13th 2017:

Was still traveling yesterday -- ended up at a gym with a 28kilo kettlebell, but only had time for one TGU. So it ended up being

Swings: 10 x 10 (l/r) 32kg

TGU: 1 x 1 (right hand) 28kg

Monday August 14th, 2017:

swings: 10 x 10 (l/r) 32.8kg

TGUs: 6 x 1 (l/r) 60lb dumbbell. 4 x 1 (l/r) 24kg kettlebell.

GTG pull ups: 1 x 2, 1 x 2, 1 x 1

Last edited:
Wednesday August 16th, 2017:

swings: 10 x 10 (l/r) 32.8kg -- 9:30

TGUs: 6 x 1 (l/r) 60lb dumbbell. 4 x 1 (l/r) 24kg kettlebell. -- 22:50

GTG pull ups: 1 x 2, 1 x 2, 1 x 1

Today's weight: 177.6 lbs

Last edited:
Saturday August 19th 2017:

swings: 10 x 10 (l/r) 32.8kg -- 9:12

TGUs: 1 x 1 (left) 60lb dumbbell. 1 x 1 (left) 24kg kettlebell.

GTG pull-ups: 1 x 2, 1 x 2

yesterday's weight: 176. too lazy to check today.

Faulted twice in my right side get-ups and decided to call it a day. the good news is I've recovered from a glute/lower back injury and am back to normal swings again.

hope today was just a matter of getting my bearings back after a few days of healing.

Here's today, Thursday August 24th 2017:

swings: 2 x 10 (two-handed) 24kg. 4 x 10 (l/r) 24kg. 4 x 10 (l/r) 32.8kg

TGUs: 10 x 1 (l/r) 24kg.

first day back after a lot of resting and stretching. Certainly feel better. Swings are actually pretty comfortable, even the heavy ones.

Didn't time anything intentionally. Eased into things.

Here's today, Friday August 25th 2017:

TGUs: 1 x 1 (left) 60lb dumbbell

Like yesterday, still easing into things.

today's weight: 176.4

Spent several days off stretching and resting. Feeling considerably better, knock on wood.

Here's today, Tuesday August 29th 2017:

swings: 4 x 10 (l/r) 24kg. 6 x 10 (l/r) 32.8kg

TGUs: 10 x 10 (l/r) 24kg

weight: 175.4

Here's today, Wednesday August 30th, 2017:

TGUs: 10 x 10 (l/r) 24kg

weight: 174

Still feel good, having stretched thoroughly after yesterday's session. Still knocking on wood.

I'm beginning to think my injury was the result of not having progressed through the 28kg bell. I'm also pretty certain I would've been doing my get-ups with the 28kg bell if there was one at my gym.

I can't recommend dumbbell TGUs. The weight being distributed laterally outwards instead of down your forearm makes it much more awkward.

Here's Friday, September 1st 2017:

TGUs: 2 x 1 (l/r) 24kg

swings were tough on Friday, and I felt sore the next three days. I've been extra cautious, still healing from the injury.

I had a flight to catch, was forced to cut get-ups short.

Here's Tuesday September 5th, 2017:

swings: 10 x 10 (two-handed) 32.8kg

TGUs: 10 x 1 (l/r) 24kg.

I've moved back down to only two-handed swings for the moment. Feels easier on my injured side, after it felt a little aggravated from last week.

Although get-ups are very stalled -- I haven't gotten back to the 60lb dumbbell for weeks -- the 24kg felt easier this week than last, despite having stayed away from them while recovering.

Read a post on the forums recently about using an extra tight grip (down to the pinkie) to keep the working arm maximally tense during the get-up. Just tried it tonight, seems to make a serious difference. Look forward to going deeper with that through the week.

Here's Wednesday September 6th, 2017:

swings: 10 x 10 (two-handed) 32.8kg

TGUs: 10 x 1 (l/r) 24kg -- 2 x o.25 (l/r) 32.8kg

Rather than bother with 60lb dumbbell get ups, I'm just going to do quarter get-ups with the 2 pood kettelbell until I can get up with it. The dumbbell work was just aggravating.

I feel like I made a breakthrough in recovering from my glute injury. I had been advised it might be a pinched nerve, possibly the sciatic or ischias. Looking up the symptoms, that seemed to be right.

I consulted physical therapists and did a lot of recommended stretches for sciatic nerve pain: figure four, pigeon pose, etc. They seemed to help, but even while I was resting I felt some residual aching in my left glute and back directly above it.

I then found these threads from a couple years ago:

S&S Sciatic Nerve Pain?

Pain in Left Buttock

After reading these, in my case it seemed like the sciatica diagnosis may have been off. I never had tingling or numbness. And I never felt discomfort or pain in my leg. It seems more likely to have been a piriformis issue.

So I incorporated the stretch that Sean Schniederjan describes in the "Pain in Left Buttock" thread:

"Lay on your right side and "sideways squat" (flex both knees and hips) so the left leg is airborne and the right is against the floor.

Now extend the left knee and gradually bring the left hip into deeper flexion. It should look kind of like a pistol squat. But gravity is pulling on you sideways -especially that left leg- instead of down. Hold for 10 seconds or so."

After doing this I feel better doing swings than I have in weeks. Much more effective than any of the other prescribed stretches.

Here's today, Friday September 8th, 2017:

swings: 10 x 10 (two handed) 32.8kg

TGUs: 6 x 1 (l/r) 24kg. 4 x 1 (l/r) 60lb. 2 x 0.25 (l/r) 32.8kg

I lied in the previous post. Went back to incorporating the 60lb dumbbell.

What can I say. The jump between 24kg and 32.8kg just seems too big to make in a single bound. Though I'm still doing quarter get-ups with it.

Swings still feeling considerably better after doing the piriformis stretch daily.

Here's today, Sunday September 10th, 2017:

swings: 6 x 10 (l/r) 32.8kg 4 x 10 (two-handed) 32.8kg

TGUs: 2 x 1 (left) 60lb. dumbbell 1 x 1 (right) 60lb. dumbbell

weight: 172.8

Here's yesterday, Monday September 11th, 2017:

swings: 6 x 10 (l/r) 32.8kg 4 x 10 (2 handed) 32.8kg

TGUs: 4 x 1 (l/r) 24kg, 6 x 1 (l/r) 60lb dumbbell

weight: 171.6

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom