all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S & S Questions - Links

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@undeadmonk3y Check out the revised and updated edition of S&S. “Timeless Simple” is the new first standard (“Simple Challenge” is the 5:00+10:00 time challenge), it is 10 x 10 one-arm swings and 10 getups (5 per side, alternating each rep), with 32kg, done powerfully and explosively in one session (no specific time standard).

If you can do that, you have enough baseline general strength and power to specialize into other domains such as barbell, double-bell work, etc.
I’ll definitely check that out. Thanks!

I’m sorry, I’m not sure I understand your question. My limiter?

Yes, don't actually DO this, but as a thought exercise -- if we lined you up (after an S&S warm-up) with a 32kg kettlebell and said "go" for 10 swings every :30, then 1 min rest, then 10 get-ups with 32kg, what would stop you from being able to do it? Can you actually swing the 32kg with one arm and good form? Does your grip fail? Are you not able to recover that quickly between sets? Can you do a get-up with it, and if not, what part is hardest? Etc...

Yes, don't actually DO this, but as a thought exercise -- if we lined you up (after an S&S warm-up) with a 32kg kettlebell and said "go" for 10 swings every :30, then 1 min rest, then 10 get-ups with 32kg, what would stop you from being able to do it? Can you actually swing the 32kg with one arm and good form? Does your grip fail? Are you not able to recover that quickly between sets? Can you do a get-up with it, and if not, what part is hardest? Etc...
Gotcha. Well, the last time I did S&S, before I injured my shoulder (not because of S&S - it’s good now), I was still progressing to get ups with the 24 kg, I hadn’t graduated to the 32kg yet. That I was before I started doing Stronglifts. So I don’t have a good answer for you other than I just hadn’t hit even timeless Simple yet.

No, not yet!
Give the new S&S edition a read, start back with 24kg and work the progression in the book up to 32kg for all sets of both exercises. Don't worry about going for the Simple Challenge time standard if you don't want to, if you're itching to get into barbell programs and double-bell work, etc. You should be able to perform the 100 swings and 10 getups any given day with 32kg, that's "owning the weight".

I was still progressing to get ups with the 24 kg, I hadn’t graduated to the 32kg yet. That I was before I started doing Stronglifts.

You might surprise yourself! I tested my get-up before and after Starting Strength LP (which is similar to Stronglifts) and could do one each arm with the 32kg both before and after. Notable that when I tested "after" I had not done any get-ups in almost 3 months. It felt different -- my shoulder stability was reduced a bit from not doing get-ups so I didn't feel as controlled when transitioning, but my strength was definitely increased. The standing up from lunge was much easier (from squats and deadlifts), the press-up from the floor was easier (from bench press) and the overhead position was stronger (from overhead press).

@undeadmonk3y Check out the revised and updated edition of S&S. “Timeless Simple” is the new first standard (“Simple Challenge” is the 5:00+10:00 time challenge), it is 10 x 10 one-arm swings and 10 getups (5 per side, alternating each rep), with 32kg, done powerfully and explosively in one session (no specific time standard).

If you can do that, you have enough baseline general strength and power to specialize into other domains such as barbell, double-bell work, etc.
This is much to my liking!
I got the swings down to 7 minutes a few times but never lower. As for the getups, I do them regularly with the 40kg, and in 10 minutes or thereabouts without even "trying" to squeeze the time down.

I'm known as strong among my training partners. I thank S&S for this.

Hello kettlepeople! I was on S&S for some time, then quit for a while (some injuries involved), recently got back into it and spending time with 24 kilo now. Can pass 5 minutes + 5 minutes test formally but do not move to 32 yet — I don't have a sense that I truly own 24... S&S 2.0 is quite specific about that (I have just recognised 2.0 exists at all). Now the question:

I'm thinking about getting 2*20 competition bells for exploring and practicing new movements — clean, double, clean, press, snatch etc. How to blend such new stuff with daily S&S? Does combining have any sense at all? Not sure about affecting progress, performance, body strengthening and so on.

competition bells

Why comp bells? Would you be doing these new movements in GS-style, or hardstyle?

My thought would be this: If you do S&S 5-7x/week (near daily), then replace 2-4 sets of swings with 2-5 sets of 5 double C&P, or swings, or squats, or snatches on each side. If you do S&S 3-4x/week, then do a full S&S session with these added in (before get-ups or after, according to your preference).

Why comp bells? Would you be doing these new movements in GS-style, or hardstyle?

My thought would be this: If you do S&S 5-7x/week (near daily), then replace 2-4 sets of swings with 2-5 sets of 5 double C&P, or swings, or squats, or snatches on each side. If you do S&S 3-4x/week, then do a full S&S session with these added in (before get-ups or after, according to your preference).

I suppose I stick to hardstyle, but just curious about contoured flats (Závodní kettlebell – litinová bulina či girja | StrongGear). About changing: it is ok to downgrade the weight to 20 on alternative movements?

Well maybe my question is stupid - if we talking about double movements it is not downgrade but 20+20 :)

Bought the kindle few days back and just recently bought the paperback. The revised version was truly an eye opener for me. More on that in another thread in the future.

as for Now I do Armor of War (by @Tom Furman) due to swedish autum. It mostly rain but when it dont, it rains even more. My only place to work out is in our garden tool shack. The celing is to low for get-ups. Working out indoor is not an option unfortunately.

In a month I’ve been doing AoW for 12 weeks and was reminded of @Brett Jones article To Every Season: A Simple Way to Structure a Year of Training | StrongFirst.

As the spring is nearing in a few months and I can train outside again. Would it be advised to just pursue Simple until the bad weather season strikes again or should I rotate between other programs as the article suggests? Like

Last edited by a moderator:
As the spring is nearing in a few months and I can train outside again. Would it be advised to just pursue Simple until the bad weather season strikes again or should I rotate between other programs as the article suggests?

I guess it depends on whether you have achieved Timeless Simple or not. If you haven't, continue S&S for as long as you can. If you have reached Timeless Simple before, I guess rotation every 6 or 12 weeks wouldn't hurt, especially if you want to pursue other modalities or goals. For example, do you want to press the bulldog? Follow RoP or a PlanStrong plan. But if you just want to reap the benefits of a GPP program you don't need to deviate from S&S, before next autumn hits again.

I guess it depends on whether you have achieved Timeless Simple or not. If you haven't, continue S&S for as long as you can. If you have reached Timeless Simple before, I guess rotation every 6 or 12 weeks wouldn't hurt, especially if you want to pursue other modalities or goals. For example, do you want to press the bulldog? Follow RoP or a PlanStrong plan. But if you just want to reap the benefits of a GPP program you don't need to deviate from S&S, before next autumn hits again.

I did reach Simple earlier. like a year back. But I know now that I was doing S&S totaly wrong by pushing it like crazy in order to move up in weight.
So to give an honest answer, no I have not reached it. Guess that answers my own question (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive had a quick flick threw the book but im a bit unsure...
I do 10 swings left
Rest
10 swings right

Then do i do the turkish get ups left x5 then right x5

Or do i do 10 left swings 1 get up 10 right swings 1 get up and repeat x5

Sorry i find it abit confusing!

The standard is finish all swings before doing the Getups.. that being said I often mixed it around to get a different "feel"

Not sure if this is in the book. At least I havn´t found it.

S&S is supposed to be done 5-6 times/week. Easy endurance, right? I have two cases below, whitch one is right?

1) Being able to use a heavier weight but less frequently (~3-4 times/week)
2) Using a slightly lighter bell but more frequent (~5-6 times/week)

Does the question makes sense? I can expand on it if its needed.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom