all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S & S Questions - Links

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Apologize if this question has been asked. Started S&S in January after a very long layoff and really getting into the groove.

Any recommendations for some simple Push up/ab programming that would compliment S&S?
In Even Easier Strength, Dan John recommends doing a single set of 5 of an ab exercise (e. g. ab wheel rollouts) at the end of each session. I guess Hanging Knee/Leg Raises would be great at the end, also deloading the spine. I think @Harald Motz does something similar (ab wheel rollouts daily at the end of a session).

Pushups: Maybe some GTG here and there. Or replacing one TGU session per week with sume pushup ladders within a 15 minute block.

Keep the goal the goal :)

I think @Harald Motz does something similar (ab wheel rollouts daily at the end of a session).
yes, absolutely. The last months I do 'just' one set of the rollouts (from standing) 5-10 reps at the end of a session. For me it id s an 'easy and convenient' way to be getting one of the most effective ab exercises in with high quality on a regular basis.

Hello comrades, my question is can I practice my goblet squat with a heavy weight (32 kg) for my warm up? I’m currently practicing my 32 kg kettlebell and found that the added weight to my swings and get ups showed all my imperfections and strengthened me immensely. I want to achieve this with my goblet squat also and maybe increase my range of motion in my hips, ankles, etc. Is this a good or bad idea for the long run?

Hello comrades, my question is can I practice my goblet squat with a heavy weight (32 kg) for my warm up? I’m currently practicing my 32 kg kettlebell and found that the added weight to my swings and get ups showed all my imperfections and strengthened me immensely. I want to achieve this with my goblet squat also and maybe increase my range of motion in my hips, ankles, etc. Is this a good or bad idea for the long run?
Yes. It is recommended to use your swing weight in goblet squat in S&S. But take it easy, when you feel like using a lighter one, use it.

If you’re looking to increase your range of motion in the bottom position, it’s better to use a lighter bell. You might be able to pry with 32kg, but if it’s challenging too much, it might limit you.

Last edited:
Hello comrades, thinking of training in mma and bjj soon but still want to achieve sinister. Is it possible for me to commit to both types of training without burning out?

Can you guys check my form for one-arm swings with the 32 kg kettlebell?

Nice and powerful! You are definitely getting some good training effect with those swings.

You have some torso wist going on with the left side swings. See if you can eliminate that and keep everything aligned as it would be with 2H swings.

Also if you can focus on a straight standing plank, and holding it just a bit more/longer, that will help your alignment. Your standing position has your shoulders back from your hips. Ideally you will be standing tall, just like standing posture, but angled back slightly from the ankles to counterweight the bell when it's out in front.

Let me know if that makes sense. Keep up the good work. ?

Nice and powerful! You are definitely getting some good training effect with those swings.

You have some torso wist going on with the left side swings. See if you can eliminate that and keep everything aligned as it would be with 2H swings.

Also if you can focus on a straight standing plank, and holding it just a bit more/longer, that will help your alignment. Your standing position has your shoulders back from your hips. Ideally you will be standing tall, just like standing posture, but angled back slightly from the ankles to counterweight the bell when it's out in front.

Let me know if that makes sense. Keep up the good work. ?
That you for reviewing my technique I will be sure to apply your critiques and eventually post an updated version.

Hey guys, been reading this forum the biggest part of the day. Has lead me to some questions though. First let me say I ve been doing S+S since about day 1. I have taken breaks a few times here and there. I have completed the simple challenge several times over the years. I even got through it with the 40kg once. I have been away for 6 months doing some ruck type training but the body is telling me its time to get back to it. I pulled my book out reread it only to find out there was a second edition. I ordered it straight away and have been through it twice. Also ordered the Q+D. Haven’t read that yet. I am determined to get that sinister goal in these next two years. So......this is really leading up to a question I swear...

This last two weeks I have been getting my groove back with a 24kg. Been pretty easy. Moved up to a 28kg because get this....I have managed to lose my 32kg. How do you even do that. And apparently KB are impossible to buy right now. But its is fine. My question is when I get the 32kg and pass the simple in some time is the Q+D been a thing to help guy push onto the sinister goal? Because I have always got stuck on that 40kg. Although with new update and some changes to my training based on that I may get closer.

So in summery is reading and learning Q+D a good thing to do to eventually help me with my sinister quest?
And what is this A+A thing I keep reading about? Is there a book out there for that or something? Been unable to find much info on that. I seems like people have used it to bridge gap also.

My question is when I get the 32kg and pass the simple in some time is the Q+D been a thing to help guy push onto the sinister goal? Because I have always got stuck on that 40kg. Although with new update and some changes to my training based on that I may get closer.

So in summery is reading and learning Q+D a good thing to do to eventually help me with my sinister quest?
And what is this A+A thing I keep reading about? Is there a book out there for that or something? Been unable to find much info on that. I seems like people have used it to bridge gap also.

Welcome, @Buckfan74

Without seeing your technique and assessing your training and strengths/weaknesses, hard to say whether Q&D or A+A will help you progress farther than sticking to S&S as written or using one of the many programs from the StrongFirst blog to get from Simple to Sinister. Any/all will bring you some new training adaptations, and all can be in line with the same goals. So I'd say, just follow your interest. And you could hire a coach to get you that last bit... could really help narrow in on what you need, specifically. Search for a StrongFirst Instructor that offers Online training and has achieved Sinister.

You can read about A+A here: A + A Training – Be Well and Strong
Also there are many forum threads about A+A if you use the search feature.

Hi all. Have been training S&S for almost exactly 1 month having started ~12kg swings & GU's and now using a mixture of 16 & 20 bells for the swings & GU's -- typically slowly introducing more reps with the heavier bell in similar (but not exact) fashion to the book. I train everyday, rest/off days are typically just a lighter day. I feel great.

However ... the 20kg swing does not feel 'strong' -- I tested the 16kg bell and passed, hence why I moved up. I would currently swing the 20kg bell 40-80 times out of the 100 total swings on a given day depending how I feel and do all 10 GU's with the 20kg.

My question is ... it almost feels like I could go up in weight on the GU, but not yet for the swing. Is this common and/or advised?

Thanks all

feels like I could go up in weight on the GU, but not yet for the swing. Is this common and/or advised?

Yes, that's fine. One can advance ahead of the other. S&S 2.0, pg 67 "You might run into a situation where the two lifts are progressing at different rates. This is very common. It is your choice whether to advance them independently or hold up the rabbit to let the turtle catch up."

There are plenty of older threads on this forum of people discussing swings being ahead of get-ups, or get-ups being ahead of swings, and speculating on why. My own speculation is that a more naturally athletic person is more likely to advance on swings, and a stable or yogi-ish person is more likely to advance on get-ups. But, it doesn't matter. You just want to keep practicing both so you get the training effect from both. And they will both get better if you just keep practicing and keep the overall stress/stimulation appropriate for you.

BTW, are you doing 2H swings in some practices as S&S 2.0 recommends? That would give you some important work with a heavier kettlebell.

Yes, that's fine. One can advance ahead of the other. S&S 2.0, pg 67 "You might run into a situation where the two lifts are progressing at different rates. This is very common. It is your choice whether to advance them independently or hold up the rabbit to let the turtle catch up."

There are plenty of older threads on this forum of people discussing swings being ahead of get-ups, or get-ups being ahead of swings, and speculating on why. My own speculation is that a more naturally athletic person is more likely to advance on swings, and a stable or yogi-ish person is more likely to advance on get-ups. But, it doesn't matter. You just want to keep practicing both so you get the training effect from both. And they will both get better if you just keep practicing and keep the overall stress/stimulation appropriate for you.

BTW, are you doing 2H swings in some practices as S&S 2.0 recommends? That would give you some important work with a heavier kettlebell.
Thanks very much. I haven't actually read 2.0 (just the first version) so will give it a read.

With regards to the 2H swings .. am I right in thinking a 2H 32kg swing is the same for strength development/CNS as it would be to swinging a 1H 16kg? Or do you find/suggest the heavier bell actually helps progress along faster?

Thanks very much. I haven't actually read 2.0 (just the first version) so will give it a read.

Very good! 2.0 is well worth the cost and time to read. And you will see me there. :)

With regards to the 2H swings .. am I right in thinking a 2H 32kg swing is the same for strength development/CNS as it would be to swinging a 1H 16kg? Or do you find/suggest the heavier bell actually helps progress along faster?

It depends on how effective your technique is, so hard to say and "equivalent" (though I might estimate 1H 16kg to be similar to 2H 24kg).

But yes, the heavier bell helps progress along. S&S 2.0 recommends 2H swings "at least once out of every three sessions." See pg 61-62.

But yes, the heavier bell helps progress along. S&S 2.0 recommends 2H swings "at least once out of every three sessions." See pg 61-62.
But it says to use the same bell for 2H swings, I read it more as a deload session

But it says to use the same bell for 2H swings, I read it more as a deload session

Ah, yes, you're right.

It also says, "In the beginning, do only two-arm swings. Once you feel competent, mix in one-arm and hand-to-hand versions." (pg 16).

This can vary by person. I might suggest that most men should work up to 2H swings with 24kg, and swing that 2H for at least a few weeks before switching to 1H swings. Develop a good powerful swing with a decent weight. Then mix in the 1H swings.

There's no set timeline for getting there, though. Some men who are starting from sedentary will need a few weeks or months to work up to 2H swings with 24kg. Others who have a recent athletic background can swing 24kg 2H immediately after learning the swing. For women, roughly same statement, but with 16kg. Working up to it might also include a few weeks of kettlebell deadlifts before getting to the swing. But if the hip hinge and movement pattern is easy for the trainee, this might just be a 10-minute lesson on the way to the swing. It also may include working with lighter weights for both deadlift and swing. All depends on the trainee. This guidance is all in the book, but it's sometimes hard for a beginner to see what is best for them to do for that good initial progress.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom