all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S & S Questions - Links

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Arash Mohammady the recommended first time through Q&D is 8-12 weeks, then run it in 6 week blocks between your other programs. Some people have been running versions all year long with good results as well.

I would recommend running it as written for at least 8 weeks and then see how you might want to modify the programming to suit your needs.
Thank you for the response! I’ve been reading the book and I am almost finished with it but I’m still having trouble understanding the reasoning for the six sided dice because why can’t I just do 100 reps in those 2-3 days?

Hello there. I have reached timeless simple. Can I proceed to 40kgr or do I have to reach timed simple first?

Hello comrades, so I have owned the timed simple standards and I’m working toward reaching sinister. Currently doing Q&D for three months to increase mitochondria and get some what the hell effects. My question is do I need to gain mass to achieve the timed tests for 40 kg and the beast? I am currently 135 pounds at 5’9 so is it possible for me to achieve sinister at this size?

Hello comrades, so I recently introduced a friend of mine to S&S and he just got his first 16kg kettlebell! However he is able to do the TGU on his right side but he is having immense trouble on his left side because he is blind on his left eye which doesn’t allow him to see the kettlebell perfectly. How can he over come this obstacle, and have you seen this before in other girveks?

Hello comrades, so I recently introduced a friend of mine to S&S and he just got his first 16kg kettlebell! However he is able to do the TGU on his right side but he is having immense trouble on his left side because he is blind on his left eye which doesn’t allow him to see the kettlebell perfectly. How can he over come this obstacle, and have you seen this before in other girveks?

That's a new one! But there's no need to see it perfectly. It's just about having a point to fix the gaze on that helps maintain balance. I can actually see my hand (if not the kettlebell) throughout the kettlebell-gaze portions of the get-up with the kettlebell-side eye closed.

Here's something to try: Do the get-up unweighted on both sides with eyes closed. Once comfortable with that, comfort with the movement increases, and losing sight of the kettlebell shouldn't be a show stopper. If the hand is not visible, I would still orient my head the same way and just find a fixed object to look at with the right eye.

If the hand is not visible, I would still orient my head the same way and just find a fixed object to look at with the right eye.

For some reason when I started doing getups I actually focused on the ceiling right beside my hand rather than the hand itself and have progressed fine to the 40kg and am likely attempting the 48kg this week for the first time. The few times I've actually tried to "fix" my getups by looking at my hand I felt very unstable and awkward so I've just stuck to what I'm used to. Muscle memory is definitely a thing.

Quick question, will me pausing on S&S for 3 months for Q&D training weaken my Turkish get ups or will I be as strong as a left off after the three month period is over? If yes how can I keep my Turkish get up strength? GTG perhaps?

Quick question, will me pausing on S&S for 3 months for Q&D training weaken my Turkish get ups or will I be as strong as a left off after the three month period is over? If yes how can I keep my Turkish get up strength? GTG perhaps?

I paused get-ups for many weeks at a time while doing A+A heavy swing protocols and didn't lose strength in them. I don't know specifically for Q&D, but my bet would be that you will be as strong as you left off - maybe just a bit less smooth, and maybe less stamina for a full 10 reps, and maybe less stability in the tripod position and other odd positions... but that all comes back quickly. Meanwhile your strength base may improve, so that will help propel you forward.

I paused get-ups for many weeks at a time while doing A+A heavy swing protocols and didn't lose strength in them. I don't know specifically for Q&D, but my bet would be that you will be as strong as you left off - maybe just a bit less smooth, and maybe less stamina for a full 10 reps, and maybe less stability in the tripod position and other odd positions... but that all comes back quickly. Meanwhile your strength base may improve, so that will help propel you forward.
Thank you Anna for the informative and quick response

I only have 2 kettlebells, 20kg and 32kg
Been practicing one-arm swings with the 20kg bell and occasionally two-arm swings with the 32kg bell.

I can say the I own the 20kg bell one-arm swing and TGU with the timeless simple standard.

My question is can I make the progress to a 32kg bell one-arm swingy using those 2 kettlebells only, I tried doing the last 2 10 swing sets with the 32kg bell and I find it acceptable yet it’s hard and the form is not perfect.

I only have 2 kettlebells, 20kg and 32kg
Been practicing one-arm swings with the 20kg bell and occasionally two-arm swings with the 32kg bell.

I can say the I own the 20kg bell one-arm swing and TGU with the timeless simple standard.

My question is can I make the progress to a 32kg bell one-arm swingy using those 2 kettlebells only, I tried doing the last 2 10 swing sets with the 32kg bell and I find it acceptable yet it’s hard and the form is not perfect.

Bad form could lead to an injury that would set you back for weeks, or worse. Don't force the 1H 32K to chest height using bad form. Just let your hip snap decide how high it goes... you will get there eventually.

Since you don't have an in-between bell, I would suggest you only start 1H 32K after you populate at least half of the 100 swings with 2H 32K, with the rest being 1H 20K.

Just for reference, my swing progression was 20K, 24K, 32K.

Until I get my hands on a 40K bell, I'll manage with somehow attaching change plates to the bottom of my 32K bell. If anyone can give/show an idea for quick on/off change plate attachment between sets, it would be much appreciated.

Has anyone here experimented with increasing the intensity of the aerobic recovery period between sets of swings/TGU's? It seems like this would be another way to progress one's training, especially for those with an endurance bent.

If one could, for an extreme (to me) example, jump rope at 130 RPM for 20-30 minutes while passing the talk test, might that not make an interesting addition to S&S?

Not that I can do that now, mind you.

Just looking at S&S book where it recommends only training 2-3 days when doing another sport.

Given the gap in training time from the regular S&S program should you focus more on two hand swings over single arm?

Also any tips on getting other exercises to aid shoulder strength for TGU. My swing is a 24kg, but I struggle with stability in the acutal get up on the 16kg. Especially right side from an old injury.

Hey everybody,
Recently I’ve been thinking about optimal rest time for my daily training. I belong to the group of people who need a timer to stay focused and motivated. The talk test and just going by feeling is not working for me.
For swings I found out using EMOM provides me with great strength and conditioning gains.

I’m especially interested in your experiences and options of the TGU. I use EMOM here too, which doesn’t feel optimal for weight progression.

I have done a two day per week TGU routine in which one day was a volume day, doing reps OTM, for up to 40 minutes. The other day was the heavy day. I would start at reps on the 5 minute mark (OT5M). When I had a handle on that I would go to OT4M, OT3M, etc., until I could do the heavy bell OTM. It then became the volume bell, adding a couple of minutes here and there, working back up to 40 minutes. Meanwhile, I would bump up a bell on the heavy day, starting back over at OT5M.

I made at least as good TGU progress on that format as any other, so, naturally, I quit doing it.

You could adapt that to S&S, doing your ten TGU's at an interval that allowed good recovery, say OT3M for example, working to OTM, then bumping up a bell, or something along those lines.

I think you could be really missing out on some of the benefits of S&S by approaching it that way though. Learning to control your breathing and letting it guide your rests is worth doing. I resisted it for a long time, but finally made myself do it. Once I "got it," it was just another reminder that:

There is a very good reason for every single thing Pavel tells us to do. Every. Single. Thing.

Last edited:
So today I'll start introducing 40K swings. Out of necessity, it will be double 20K swings... my favorite brand just restocked their 40K bells and it will be sometime before I receive mine.

Question is: Is there a place in S&S for double kettlebell swings in general? If so and for someone transitioning from 32K to 40K swings, where would they belong; on 2H or 1H days or both? Using 2x16K or 2x20K or both?

I don't have any specific goals regarding double bells other than doing long cycle C&J once a week to replace my hikes once winter sets in... it's snowing right now here in Colorado!

I have done a two day per week TGU routine in which one day was a volume day, doing reps OTM, for up to 40 minutes. The other day was the heavy day. I would start at reps on the 5 minute mark (OT5M). When I had a handle on that I would go to OT4M, OT3M, etc., until I could do the heavy bell OTM. It then became the volume bell, adding a couple of minutes here and there, working back up to 40 minutes. Meanwhile, I would bump up a bell on the heavy day, starting back over at OT5M.

I made at least as good TGU progress on that format as any other, so, naturally, I quit doing it.

You could adapt that to S&S, doing your ten TGU's at an interval that allowed good recovery, say OT3M for example, working to OTM, then bumping up a bell, or something along those lines.

I think you could be really missing out on some of the benefits of S&S by approaching it that way though. Learning to control your breathing and letting it guide your rests is worth doing. I resisted it for a long time, but finally made myself do it. Once I "got it," it was just another reminder that:

There is a very good reason for every single thing Pavel tells us to do. Every. Single. Thing.

You’d spend 50 min on TGU? Wow, definitely too long for me in the morning. But ic how your approach would work well.
Letting my breath guide myself on TGU seems counterintuitive, since I’m never really out of breath or have an extremely high heart rate...

Curious to hear more experiences. :)

Hey everybody,
Recently I’ve been thinking about optimal rest time for my daily training. I belong to the group of people who need a timer to stay focused and motivated. The talk test and just going by feeling is not working for me.
For swings I found out using EMOM provides me with great strength and conditioning gains.

I’m especially interested in your experiences and options of the TGU. I use EMOM here too, which doesn’t feel optimal for weight progression.
Update: I’ve discarded my timer and .. surprise surprise, I’m moving more weight with better form, while feeling less gassed after. Instead of 20-30 min it takes me 60-70 min now. But I’m sure this is gonna improve soon.

The lesson for me is, I should just listen to Pavel. And I can only recommend the same to others who doubt him. ✌️

Hello comrades I just completed 3 months of Q&D and went back to S&S to train with 40kg. My first day I believe I put too much chalk and my hands dried up so much so I ripped skin in the middle of both my palms. From this experience I realized the lack of hand maintenance I do and I’m reviewing my form for kettlebell swing because I’ve noticed the heavier the bell the more I have to get the form down. My question is how long should I let my hands heal? Can I train with ripped skin in my palms or will it get worse? I love to train daily so I’m hoping for as soon as possible.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom