all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S Results (so far)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Great to hear, Stuart! Please do me a favor and post a review on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Kettlebell-Simple-Sinister-Pavel-Tsatsouline-ebook/product-reviews/B00GF2HP9G/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Ladies and gents, it is when you reach the "simple" goals that really makes things happen.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't performing 100 swings in 5 min be awfully close to tabata levels of intensity?  I think an average swing cadence for 10 swings is somewhere between 15-20 seconds, and if you perform a set every 30 seconds for 5 minutes, you're right there, with an additional minute..

@Misabi - Just want to let you know that the SFG is tough, and rightfully so. I did not pass, however I still learned a ton of stuff there. I do plan to continue my journey of strength as a lifestyle change, not just to get a cert. If you get a chance, I recommend attending a SFG cert, just be more prepared than I was :). Thanks for the encouragement.

I'm finally beginning to get a better understanding of this, (well I think I am).

Here is a chart , showing 2 HR graphs 1 from today the 2nd Feb and 1 from the 31st Jan. It shows a couple of interesting points on my HR for the exercises performed.

For the swings it took longer to hit my max HR
For the TGU  my Max HR was lower and my recovery was better.

Another interesting point is I have lessened my overall intensity and working at about the 80% effort point that Pavel has referenced as optimal.

I'm still performing the swing correctly, getting the float and the tension on in the correct place, and the TGU is between 30 and 40secs under load all with a 32kg Kettlebell. Yet I'm getting stronger and fitter. I know that about 3 months ago my 80% was working with the 24kg and now its 32kg, if This keeps up in a few more months I'll be on track for the 40kg... Then we are getting into serious territory.

I'm enjoying working hard but not to the extreme.

Hey all,

3 1/2 weeks in? Somewhere around that.

40kg  for both movements.  No blistering times or anything crazy.  But a lot of strength, stability, opened hips (read: dissipation of tight back)  and some quality weight gain.

Have implemented  48kg into 40 of 100 swings and 4 of 10 TGU.  But, quality starts to suffer and shoulder needs a better pack on the 40kg sets for swings.  However, the results to this program are undeniable.  Its a blast.  The gains come quick if you approach slow

"The gains come quick if you approach slow."  Kevin, well said!

Please post a review of S&S on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Kettlebell-Simple-Sinister-Pavel-Tsatsouline-ebook/product-reviews/B00GF2HP9G/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t performing 100 swings in 5 min be awfully close to tabata levels of intensity?  I think an average swing cadence for 10 swings is somewhere between 15-20 seconds, and if you perform a set every 30 seconds for 5 minutes, you’re right there, with an additional minute..

Stan, you are wrong. I recommend you read the book for an explanation. Hint: you're confusing testing and training protocols.

I think the S&S is outside both the Tabata and HIIT protocol. Yes the timing for achieving the 100 swing can easily fit into the 20-10 work rest timing, and there are many saying they do it well under the 5 mins. So is it about the effort the intensity or the recovery or a blend of all. I think mostly its about replenishing alactacid energy system in the first case and building from there. Then there is the TGU component this is about time under load, in my view. Only Pavel could really answer the intention. There are so many subtle gems in the book that it takes a few readings to start to grasp the complexity of such a simple system.

I think it's important for everyone who references Tabata to truly understand what that means. Lyle McDonald has a nice write-up here:  http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/effects-of-moderate-intensity-endurance-and-high-intensity-intermittent-training-on-anaerobic-capacity-and-vo2-max.html

The biggest thing I want to call to folks' attention is that the intensity level was 170% of VO2 max  for 20 seconds. I've heard this described as a "gun to the head" level of intensity. If the study participant failed to maintain 85 RPM during the study, the session was ended, so you have that limitation as well. It is damn near impossible to adequately reproduce that level of effort with most modalities, even a KB snatch. So while I'm not saying that any other exercise done at very high intensity for 20 seconds followed by 10 seconds of rest wouldn't be an effective training session, calling it Tabata training doesn't seem like the right label to me personally.

Thank you for your review, Stuart!

Kyle, S&S is not similar to Tabata.  Tabata is a glycolytic protocol.  S&S is an alactacid + aerobic recovery protocol.

Just an update on this. I have my log in front of me.

Again, when I first started S&S on 12/02/2013, I used the 16kg for both drills. I finished the swing in less than 5 mins, and the TGU took 10:30 (though I think I was holding the high bridge for three seconds per rep). After sticking with the 16kg for a week or so, I slowly started working the 24kg in, one rep for a few sessions, then two, etc., per the book. I was only able to work out 2-3 times per week on most weeks.

On 1/19/2014, I had my first session of all one-handed swings with the 24kg.

On 2/9/2014, I had my first session of TGUs with only the 24kg.

Today (02/17/2014), I timed myself with the 24kg. The one-handed swings took me 5:55, so I'm getting close. The TGUs took me 7:35 (not holding the high bridge). I was surprised at that, because strength gains have always come slow to me. Remember just about 10 weeks ago, it took me 10:30 to finish the TGUs with the 16kg - and I've only been getting 2-3 sessions a week in, most of the time.

In addition to this, my home life has been extremely stressful. My appetite hasn't been what it should, and I haven't been feeling like eating much. However, I'm also trying to lose some fat, so it's OK in that regard. So, I'm on a calorie deficit and have lost about 8 pounds since starting S&S.

I think most of my friends probably think I'm too skinny - I'm now 152 at 5'10". But with my shirt off, I think I look better than I have in years.

Seeing my timing results from today, I do plan to start trying to increase my calories and begin to slowly build some muscle as I feel I'm very close to ordering a 32kg and beginning to work it in.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom