all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S Sciatic Nerve Pain?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

CoachWTF

Level 1 Valued Member
So, I've been training off and on with kettlebells for the last few years. I've done a bunch of swings, and my TGUs are pretty solid. However, recently I had a bout with a tight piriformis, which then seriously aggravated my sciatic nerve. Since then, I've been sort of cautious about swings because my physical therapist said to lay off. I hadn't really considered that swings could be the cause, and I've worked hard at getting more flexible in my hips/hamstrings. The piriformis pain/tightness has subsided. Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm looking to complete a round of Simple and Sinister, but am nervous about daily swings. Any info or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Ma'am,

I had about the worst bout of piriformisitis known to man (certainly felt that way) in mid December, last year. It was so bad I could hardly walk 15 to the bathroom. It took me 2 weeks of lacrosse ball torture and foam roll pergutory to be the pain under control. As soon as I could handle the pain, I started Rite of Passage, which focuses more on Clean and Press, but still prescribes swings and snatches, although in a lower volume. The full body tension of the C&P and the hip hinge and plank position of the swing have not aggravated my piriformisitis in the least. The same can be said for snatches, a ballistic movement like the swing, and GUs (TGU). The only thing that causes muscle tremors or twitches in my piriformis, to the point where I notice a change in feeling/tingling of the sciatic nerve, is hiking under load.

I have not had a relapse of pain, but I have experienced tightness and tingling, both of which are controlled by daily foam rolling and the occasional lacrosse ball-ing.

I am not qualified to speak as a PT, but PERSONALLY, I have not let my previous injury stop me from kettlebell training and I am doing fine, making the occasional gain and getting Stronger.

That being said, I will "phone a friend"...
Mr. @Steve Freides , Mr. @aciampa , gentlemen, do you know of any SF physicians or practitioners who could weigh in on this, aside from your own personal knowledge?

@CoachWTF , hopefully you get the answers you are seeking and you can get in that complete round of S&S. Good luck!

If I were you...I would stretch piriformis as part of your warm up (it's usually tight in conjunction with an "inhibited" glute), then swing afterwards. If pain returns, go back to PT or doctor.

But you're not supposed to statically stretch right before exercise! Usually that is correct. The caveat in this case is you will be stretching a facilitated muscle that is cramping your style in order to inhibit it and therefore remove some neurological inhibition to the glute, so it can contract more powerfully. Contracting the glute with swings may in turn decrease excessive piriformis tone. May work, may not. There are many reasons piriformis can get tight.

Also, instead of pure static stretching, you could more dynamically stretch the piriformis by easing into the stretch and holding for 5-7 seconds, then easing out of it and repeating this 7 times. Kinda like pulling taffy.

Where are you located?
Lets see if there are any SFGs in your area - hopefully one that can run an FMS (now that you have been diagnosed and treated) to make sure we aren't missing a movement issue or form issue that could be part of the problem.

The windmill has been a godsend to me as far as piriformis and other lower back and hip related tightness. YMMV but it works wonders for me, enough that I often go through the movement without a weight a few times a day.

The interesting thing for me was that it took me quite a while to acquire the skill to do a windmill without bothering my problematic lower back. Somehow, I knew I'd get it and I knew it was worth sticking with, so I went through several cycles of: try the windmill, do a few, build up the volume a little, start having back problems from it, and put it away for a few weeks or months. After several rounds of this, I figured out what I needed to figure out and now do windmills regularly.

Again, just my personal and experience and your mileage may vary.

-S-

Thanks for the helpful feedback everyone. I'll certainly try to include a little bit of all this in my daily work. Been using lacrosse balls, Kelly Starrett's Supernova, and those seem to help things stay loose and somewhat pain free. Also working on creating a little more flexibility in my hips and hamstrings. The PT said she thought most, if not all, of this was caused my tightness in that area.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom