all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S & S - slight knee pain

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Oskarand

Level 4 Valued Member
I am on the S & S protocol. Currently on 24kg. I have slight pain in my right knee on the insight. Could this be from doing the swings wrong?

My knees bothered me a while back because my feet were turned out a little too much when doing my swings. I keep them just a little more parallel now and no knee issues.

I have been noticing this exact thing for a week or two, right knee. It seems like I might be snapping my knees too hard when thrusting the bell upward for the swing. I am going to be experimenting with where my feet point to see if it helps.

My knees sometimes bark at me with S&S but i’ve assumed it was because my forward foot was too far forward in standing up from the lunge thus puting strain on that knee.

I’ll check my knee position in the swing. That theory makes sense.

I am on the S & S protocol. Currently on 24kg. I have slight pain in my right knee on the insight. Could this be from doing the swings wrong?
What other activities do you do besides S&S?
Have you had any previous knee issues?
Do you have the ability to, or have you considered having your form checked by an SFG.
Important thing is to monitor it. If it gets worse, you might consider getting your form checked, and or seek a qualified medical opinion.

It's always my knees that bother me too... usually my right. I think it may be due to trying to do too much volume. At least for me its always when I'm trying to move up to 32 kg swings.

Another thing that might help is, if you are not already doing this: do the entire warmup (hip bridges and halos). Having more of a warmup might help.

It seems like I might be snapping my knees too hard when thrusting the bell upward for the swing
Snapping the hips (not knees) to thrust the bell forward (not up). If you think of standing up straight as forcefully as you can coming out of a deep hinge the bell will fly forward, then up as you plank, easily and with lots of speed.. My knees would bark at me if I snapped them into extension every time.

Yeah I'm definitely working on my technique again after taking a break from S&S for a few months
Occasionally I get knee irritation doing doubles ballistics, comes from bowing out the knees a bit to clear the bells (old knee injury), if it happens I play around with different stances to find the right groove.

My knees sometimes bark at me with S&S but i’ve assumed it was because my forward foot was too far forward in standing up from the lunge thus puting strain on that knee.
Jim I had some forward knee irritation standing from the lunge too, stepping out more helped fix it. What I do is fix the forward leg in position and push forward with the back foot, it kind of levers you up and eliminates the urge to use the forward leg/knee to rise up, only then will I allow the forward knee to straighten as I stand.

Jim I had some forward knee irritation standing from the lunge too, stepping out more helped fix it. What I do is fix the forward leg in position and push forward with the back foot, it kind of levers you up and eliminates the urge to use the forward leg/knee to rise up, only then will I allow the forward knee to straighten as I stand.

Bret,

Try not to laugh at the joys of growing old but I have deliberately brought the front foot in closer to avoid dorsiflexing my rear toes too much, due to an issue with foot neuropathy. (Was it Gilda Radner who said, “If it ain’t one thing it’s another!”)

I love the getup and Ryan Talbert has me doing them better than ever before but I may just need to put them on hold for awhile.

Lots of good alternatives.

Jim

Bret,

Try not to laugh at the joys of growing old but I have deliberately brought the front foot in closer to avoid dorsiflexing my rear toes too much, due to an issue with foot neuropathy. (Was it Gilda Radner who said, “If it ain’t one thing it’s another!”)

I love the getup and Ryan Talbert has me doing them better than ever before but I may just need to put them on hold for awhile.

Lots of good alternatives.

Jim
I never laugh at the expense of a fellow warrior :)

I have had a jammed big toe for 25 years, my right foot the toe didn't retract like the left side, so breaking boards with round kicks made it worse. I was doing alot of rocking with dorsi-flexed toes and suddenly it broke free, I was astonished that it could happen.
I know your issue is different but thought I'd share

I never laugh at the expense of a fellow warrior :)

I have had a jammed big toe for 25 years, my right foot the toe didn't retract like the left side, so breaking boards with round kicks made it worse. I was doing alot of rocking with dorsi-flexed toes and suddenly it broke free, I was astonished that it could happen.
I know your issue is different but thought I'd share

That’s really interesting because I’ve avoided rocking with dorsiflexed toes due to the neuropathy. Thanks for sharing!

That’s really interesting because I’ve avoided rocking with dorsiflexed toes due to the neuropathy. Thanks for sharing!
You could make it a win win by rocking between sets of swings to bring down HR, gentle consistent rocking in doses that don't inflame is what worked for me.

Bret - I think you gave the solution! "Snapping the hips (not knees) to thrust the bell forward (not up). " - last time I did it I focused on snapping the hips and it feels much better. Also, the breathing cycles made more sense when really focusing on the hip movement. .

What other activities do you do besides S&S?
Have you had any previous knee issues?
Do you have the ability to, or have you considered having your form checked by an SFG.
Important thing is to monitor it. If it gets worse, you might consider getting your form checked, and or seek a qualified medical opinion.
I live in Dubai and there are a few certified SFG instructors here so will do that one day. I have my own business and cash flow is low at the moment but as soon as I close some more business..

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom