all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S: Soccer GPP Adaptation??

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The funny thing about the video was that it just happened to be in my "Recommended for you" list on Youtube. I was going to start a new thread and saw this soccer thread and thought Perfect! I did not intentionally search for this - I do have some sort of a life.

I was a varsity college soccer player, and this is what I would do now with what I now know.

- S&S
- Original Strength contralateral movements in particular, crawls.
- Loaded, single leg deadlift
- Skater/shrimp squat unloaded
- Swings 1/3 bodyweight focus on power and conditioning.
- Light goblet squats and/or double kettlebell front squat for volume offseason or when you don't have a game coming up. Load them more if you want to gain mass.
- Loaded carries for time rather than max weight.
- Deadlift offseason or once a week in season not near game days. DL give strength without much hypertrophy. It is part of many sprinter's programs in track these days as you read in 4HB.
- Sprint repeats with rest periods, not HIIT.
- Unloaded walking lunges
- Long jump (safer than box jump) for power.

I play football every Saturday. I have played all my life and have been doing S&S for 2 years, so I have a rough idea of the effect it has on football performance.

In short, I feel a bit better and play better since I started S&S. I have air throughout the match and feel more solid in the contact situations.

I wouldn't add any strength training above S&S neither in the off season nor during the season, unless you have identified a very well defined weakness(that s&s doesn't address). My strength and power has been just fine from S&S only. You'll be better off dedicating that time and energy to football practice, football games, specific football training or just running.

In the off season I would aim for 4-6 S&S sessions + 2 slow runs per week.

In the season I would focus on football games, practice and training and fit 2-4 S&S sessions depending on your other activities.

You could try this:
A lot of people don't know this, but dancing skill and trapezius size are very relevant to soccer performance ROFL

But really @Reventio007, I know how it feels to be a little suspicious of non-specific training programs. You think "how can someone I've never met have designed a program that will work for me?" and then you start thinking of ways to personalize it. I've done the same thing. Sometimes I still catch myself doing the same thing, though less now than I used to. Truly, people are not that different. As strange as it may sound, you could put 100 people on S&S, and 99 of the them would get results as promised; that's why it's so popular. A little suspicion is healthy, though, and I certainly don't fault people for wanting confirmation that it will work specifically for their goals.
The best advice I can give you is to spend the next year or two doing nothing but programs put together by other (experienced) people, exactly as written. Give S&S at least 3 months before you change gears, 6 months would be better. After a while doing other people's programs, you'll be amazed at how much you've learned about how to train yourself.

Last edited:
Original Strength is a movement system that builds on developmental patterns like head nods, rolling, crawling, rocking. It is built around contralateral movement, stimulating the vestibular system and diaphragmatic breathing.

It is (a) extremely beneficial to mind and body (b) really scaleable (you could use it with heavily injured people - or build up to heavy loaded carries and sled pulls) and (c) it doesn't tax the CNS much - on the contrary, it actually helps recovery and stress relief.

The founder, Tim Anderson, is an immensely strong and nice guy. He could do a barbell TGU of 135lbs at a BW of 155 without specifically training it.

And he has crawled for a mile (in 44 minutes):

A lot of people here on the forum use it - especially for patterning movements, rehabbing, prehabbing and mobility. Personally it has helped me with winging scapulae, core stability, neck problems and wrist stability.

A good starting point is the book "Pressing Reset: Original Strength Reloaded". And just pick some movement snacks from the youtube channel and play around with them: Original Strength

Thank you. I see the benefits now.

I'm kinda lacking in funds, so I can't get the book...

What would you recommend I focus on in the youtube link you gave me?

I was a varsity college soccer player, and this is what I would do now with what I now know.

- S&S
- Original Strength contralateral movements in particular, crawls.
- Loaded, single leg deadlift
- Skater/shrimp squat unloaded
- Swings 1/3 bodyweight focus on power and conditioning.
- Light goblet squats and/or double kettlebell front squat for volume offseason or when you don't have a game coming up. Load them more if you want to gain mass.
- Loaded carries for time rather than max weight.
- Deadlift offseason or once a week in season not near game days. DL give strength without much hypertrophy. It is part of many sprinter's programs in track these days as you read in 4HB.
- Sprint repeats with rest periods, not HIIT.
- Unloaded walking lunges
- Long jump (safer than box jump) for power.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

If you don't mind, can you tell me the reasoning about the exercises and loaded/unloaded weights you chose? Speed without HIIT, I understand, but what's with the unloaded ones?
Also, i'm curious about how you would program that?

How about the OS movements... Do you have a soccer specific routine made?

Thanks again

I play football every Saturday. I have played all my life and have been doing S&S for 2 years, so I have a rough idea of the effect it has on football performance.

In short, I feel a bit better and play better since I started S&S. I have air throughout the match and feel more solid in the contact situations.

I wouldn't add any strength training above S&S neither in the off season nor during the season, unless you have identified a very well defined weakness(that s&s doesn't address). My strength and power has been just fine from S&S only. You'll be better off dedicating that time and energy to football practice, football games, specific football training or just running.

In the off season I would aim for 4-6 S&S sessions + 2 slow runs per week.

In the season I would focus on football games, practice and training and fit 2-4 S&S sessions depending on your other activities.

Thank you.

I felt that way too back then when I had a team. I'd like to get the feeling back.

(Off-season) Does your team have gym sessions, and you work S&S around it? Or they let you do your own thing, and hence you doing S&S?

Our club back then tried to get us running 2.8km in under ten minutes, since it was the requirement for the Asian Cup or some asia league I forgot. While we were nearing the times, and some have successfully done so, I believe it was torture lol.

Since you have been doing S&S for 2 years, I'm guessing you alternate back and forth between different weights depending on how you feel that day since you are dedicating time and energy to football practice, games, and specific training. Am I correct?

I'm currently taming a 30lbs one for my one arm swings. Not much, but I was dropping 6 footers during collisions back then with only 10lb swings and team training for practice.

Okay, so, thanks for the inputs everybody!

I will do S & S to the letter.

I will do OS on wake up or bed time; cooldowns or warm-ups if I don't feel pressed for time.

But what exactly are the MED exercises inside original strength?

Thank you.

I felt that way too back then when I had a team. I'd like to get the feeling back.

(Off-season) Does your team have gym sessions, and you work S&S around it? Or they let you do your own thing, and hence you doing S&S?

Our club back then tried to get us running 2.8km in under ten minutes, since it was the requirement for the Asian Cup or some asia league I forgot. While we were nearing the times, and some have successfully done so, I believe it was torture lol.

Since you have been doing S&S for 2 years, I'm guessing you alternate back and forth between different weights depending on how you feel that day since you are dedicating time and energy to football practice, games, and specific training. Am I correct?

I'm currently taming a 30lbs one for my one arm swings. Not much, but I was dropping 6 footers during collisions back then with only 10lb swings and team training for practice.

I'm not doing any strength training aside from S&S, neither off season nor on season.

As you say, during the season, I do use different weights. I use 28 kg - 32 kg for swings and 32-40 kg for tgu. I usually go light the day before the match and might take the day off the day after the match, depending on how I feel. I also vary the volume quite a while.

Regarding your current working weight, you might consider doing 2 hand swings with 24 kg instead of doing lighter 1HS. This is what the book suggests for males.

Welcome to the forum.

I second @Snowman
For soccer I would go for pure S+S plus Original Strength resets (with a special focus on hips and ankles).

Try S+S for, say, 6 weeks before you add any specific isolated exercises. Or even longer.

Your midsection will have to work a lot with proper tension and technique so you don't need your finisher rounds.

Hi,

I have been curious about what you said regarding the midsection for some time now...

Besides the tssaa breathing during the up swing... and probably the up portion of goblet squats... do you mean that I should do this breathing and contraction during movements of the TGU?

After researching about the best option to get back in shape
You don't need the best option, you need to pick something reputable and commit to it. All of our simple, basic programs would suffice. Kettlebell Simple and Sinister with a kettlebell, Power To The People with a barbell, Naked Warrior with bodyweight.

I wouldn't make it more complicated than that - you have three good choices above. I have found, speaking only for myself but I know I'm not the only one, that adhering to a simple program is, for most people, more likely to be successful.

-S-

Hi,

I have been curious about what you said regarding the midsection for some time now...

Besides the tssaa breathing during the up swing... and probably the up portion of goblet squats... do you mean that I should do this breathing and contraction during movements of the TGU?
Hi @Reventio007 : No, just do the TGUs "breathing behind the shield". You can of course use your outbreath for the transitions but that is more or less up to you. What I meant is, that TGUs are a great "core" and "abs" exercise, especially with heavier weights. Bret Contreras found that the TGU produced very high average and peak contractions of all midsection muscles (front, back and sides).

Just try to stay tight and move "gracefully". (No wobbling and no jerky transitions.)
Here is Mr. Contreras articel: Inside the Muscles: Best Ab Exercises | T Nation

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom