all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S start with 12 or 20

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Advenedizo

Level 1 Valued Member
I ordered a 16 kg bell two months ago, and it has still not arrived. I had planned to start S&S with it.

I would like to order either a 12 kg or a 20 kg that they have on stock. I can perform the TGU with an adjustable dumbbell for now, so the only problem is the swings.

I am a male, 41 years old and overweight, but used to be strong 6 years ago.

Do you think I will be able to start swings with the 20 kg or should I just pick the 12 kg? I understand that the 20 kg will be more useful in the long run, but I have never swing a kettlebell, so I do not know what to expect.

20kg..

Get proper coaching via an SFG either in person or online and you will be swinging the 20kg decently quite soon

I ordered a 16 kg bell two months ago, and it has still not arrived. I had planned to start S&S with it.

I would like to order either a 12 kg or a 20 kg that they have on stock. I can perform the TGU with an adjustable dumbbell for now, so the only problem is the swings.

I am a male, 41 years old and overweight, but used to be strong 6 years ago.

Do you think I will be able to start swings with the 20 kg or should I just pick the 12 kg? I understand that the 20 kg will be more useful in the long run, but I have never swing a kettlebell, so I do not know what to expect.
20 kg is great for swings, or 2 hand swings at the beginning. Just take your time learning the movement and don't try to hit the numbers. Spend time building the fundament.

If you have the budget a 12 kg can be nice to have for halos, bottoms up stuff, arm bars, and other drills and mobility exercises.

I'm in a similar situation - I only have one 16kg kettlebell and recently started S&S.

For me, the 16kg is fine for TGU's (I am male).

For swings, the 16kg feels light for 2H swings. I'm currently learning 1H swings and for this the 16kg feels right. My swing sets are a mixture of 2H swings and 1H dead stop swings.

As already suggested above, I would suggest you go for 20kg. You can use it 2H initially and then transition to 1H.

You will outgrow the 12kg in a week or two so I wouldn't recommend it.

If you have adjustable dumbbell I assume that means "plates"? If so, worst case, make Hungarian Core Blaster from hardware store plumbing pipe and use that for the swings and the dumbbell for TGU's. I recently had a handle fabricated for my core blaster, by a local metal sculpture for $20 so I can now do 1 handed swings with it. Works quite well!

The bell arrived yesterday. I now understand why you are supposed to start with the 16.

Two hands swings are possible, but I need to keep sharp focus or I loose form or balance. Cleans are out of the question, I lack the technique and getting hit by a 20 in the arm repeatedly is no fun. Snatches are probably dangerous. I will continue with dumbbell for the TGU, I do not trust myself with the 20.

Today I performed 5 sets of 10. I see that timeless simple will take some time.

Thank you for your suggestions. I bought the 20 kg.
Good buy.

I personally dislike the 12 kg. It is too small and it sits too high on my forearm hurting my wrist. If I needed a 12 kg, I would probably buy a completion or a plastic bell, to make it bigger.

@Oscar , I actually bought competition bell, there is nothing else available in my remote country. Actually the 20s are already out of stock. The market is dry.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom