all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S+S stretches for the ultra tight

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Bauer

Level 8 Valued Member
I am sure that the QL straddle and the 90/90 stretches are quite a stretch for some :D

The book doesn't really address how to work around your limitations if you can't even get into the respective starting positions.

My personal answer: I have found it to be extremely helpful to elevate the hips (i. e. sit on some heavy books, a box or the edge of stairs). Otherwise it's too hard to fight against gravity. Use all the props you need to be able to relax and still get a stretch in the right part of the body.

Apart from that I wonder why Pavel prescribes passive stretches and not contract-relax. I use contract-relax with deep breathing (1 set of more than 2 minutes) and have already gained a lot of mobility with this approach. Thoughts?

Thank you for the tip! I was going to make a post asking if there were any alternative stretches for the QL straddle until I saw this. Your idea of propping yourself up has solved my problem and I'm able to get into the stretch so much better now. I also like your idea of contract/relax with deep breathing....haven't tried that yet but I'll give it a go tomorrow.

The only other stretches I add to the 2 in S&S are a T-spine twist for my upper back and I usually end with a cobra stretch. During the workout I also dead-hang from a pull-up bar for about 5 seconds between every set. After all is said and done I hit the foam roller, a hot shower, and relax in my recliner for a bit.

I am sure that the QL straddle and the 90/90 stretches are quite a stretch for some :D

The book doesn't really address how to work around your limitations if you can't even get into the respective starting positions.

My personal answer: I have found it to be extremely helpful to elevate the hips (i. e. sit on some heavy books, a box or the edge of stairs). Otherwise it's too hard to fight against gravity. Use all the props you need to be able to relax and still get a stretch in the right part of the body.

Apart from that I wonder why Pavel prescribes passive stretches and not contract-relax. I use contract-relax with deep breathing (1 set of more than 2 minutes) and have already gained a lot of mobility with this approach. Thoughts?
I highly recommend looking into some of the chiefs earlier works like Super Joints, and Relax Into Stretch if you want options

I highly recommend looking into some of the chiefs earlier works like Super Joints, and Relax Into Stretch if you want options
I forgot about those, even though they were both in my amazon wish list!

Which is better to start with?

If only one, I'd start with SJ but I'd get both - the two together make a great pair because you'll see some similar movement patterns but different instructions between the two books.

-S-

Thanks gents! Bought the kindle version of Super Joints. Unfortunately, it does not appear to be available in hard copy anymore. I'm always excited to add new tools to my tool box.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I just grabbed both of them. Looks like just what the doctor ordered too. I'm really excited about Super Joints because as someone who fights arthritis on a daily basis joint mobility is very important to me. I have been starting my day with a simple version of Scott Sonnon's Intu-Flo and it has definitely helped but after reading the table of contents of Super Joints there looks to be a wealth of information that will allow me to take it to another level.

Add yoga blocks to sit on. Start with two - progress to using one block - then without the yoga blocks.
..Can't afford yoga blocks - No problem; take one og two Ernest Hemingway books from your bookcase to sit on instead

About Super Joints and Relax into Stretch; Great books!

@Hasbro : I am glad this helped.
@Martin Joe : Actually I used to sit on books (not Hemingway though) and upgraded to yoga blocks :D

Yes, SJ and RiS are amazing resources. I am doing the Super Joints routine every day and my joints feel much better.

Having read Relax into Stretch I wonder why Pavel prescribes passive stretching in S+S.

@Steve Freides Thanks for pointing out Flexible Steel, I will have a look at it.

Towels might be a good option for people having trouble with the 90/90 stretch:

(after 30 seconds its about the 90/90)

This might be a bit offtopic but I really like the trifecta stretch from convict conditioning 2:
-back bridge
-l sit
-side twist

I hold every one for 2x10 deep breaths. I feel it really covers the whole body nd takes less than 5mins.

@Hasbro yeah, GMB is great and Elements in particular :)

@Marc I like the trifecta a lot but find it too challenging at the moment. I prefer to do the "down dog to up dog" yoga stretch that Pavel uses in some programs. Thanks for reminding me of the trifecta, though, I might try it again in the near future

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom