all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S Swing Critique and TGU sub

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

J.C.S.

Level 4 Valued Member

History of GS kettlebell lifting, and would like you good folks to critique my HS swing. My right arm is my strong (compared to STRONGER left arm) arm. Did 10x10 today, I believe this was set 9.

Also, I am unable to complete TGU due to Osgood-Schlatter on my left knee. I have tried sleeves which did not help, and think heavier duty knee pads may alter the movement. Anyone else have this issue and must sub exercises? Thank you!

Also, I am unable to complete TGU due to Osgood-Schlatter on my left knee. I have tried sleeves which did not help, and think heavier duty knee pads may alter the movement. Anyone else have this issue and

Im not familiar with that disease, can you squat? If you can, you might try the TGU to squat variation. I cant do normal TGU due to a patellar tendonosis and Im progressing fine with this variation.

Last edited:
@J.C.S. , I like your swing. I see a little bit of GS influence... like a foreign accent ;)... but it is nicely hardstyle.

Your hinge is effective, your power is good, your arm swing and shoulders look solid.

I would like to see a straighter line of your body at the top of the swing. See how your hips and head are forward of the line? Ideally you are a vertical board at the top of the swing.

upload_2017-12-21_16-16-28.png

The other thing you can work towards that will make it more hardstyle is taking advantage of the eccentric loading at the bottom. Like a coiled spring, or stretched rubber band, you can store power at the bottom of the swing and use that to come up. I think this element is absent from GS which may be why I don't see it. Just as you load the hamstrings when you crouch down before a vertical jump, you should feel this loading at the bottom of the swing. Also, if you stretch your chest forward as you stretch your arm back, you will get more of this loading in the upper body; this helps too.

Im not familiar with that disease, can you squat? If you can, you might try the TGU to squat variation. I cant do normal TGU due to a patellar tendonosis and Im progressing fine with this variation.
@Oscar Osgood is a fairly common overuse injury I developed as a child. There was/is an avulsion fracture of my tibial tuberosity (i.e. large bump inferior to patella). It makes kneeling positions very painful, but I can complete all other movements.

I am not familiar with the TGU to squat variation. Do you have a good reference for it?

@J.C.S. , I like your swing. I see a little bit of GS influence... like a foreign accent ;)... but it is nicely hardstyle.

Your hinge is effective, your power is good, your arm swing and shoulders look solid.

I would like to see a straighter line of your body at the top of the swing. See how your hips and head are forward of the line? Ideally you are a vertical board at the top of the swing.

View attachment 4698

The other thing you can work towards that will make it more hardstyle is taking advantage of the eccentric loading at the bottom. Like a coiled spring, or stretched rubber band, you can store power at the bottom of the swing and use that to come up. I think this element is absent from GS which may be why I don't see it. Just as you load the hamstrings when you crouch down before a vertical jump, you should feel this loading at the bottom of the swing. Also, if you stretch your chest forward as you stretch your arm back, you will get more of this loading in the upper body; this helps too.

@Anna C I do see the excessive extension at the top position and will work on that in the future. Loading in the eccentric portion makes alot of sense and also will be a focal point. As I am getting older and priorities change, the HS approach is really clicking in my mind. I see that you are an instructor and was curious if you have clients who have issues with the TGU due to knee pain. Any alternatives that you suggest? Breaking it up into portions that avoid painful kneeling position? Windmill or bent press sub? Thank you for your technique critique!

I haven't had anyone that can't kneel but I have seen a few variations that might work. Might try to make a video tomorrow.

Woah @Oscar you can almost touch your armpits with your knees. I'm jealous of that squat.

Thanks! My squatting has improved a lot from doing this TGU variation. Its quite difficult to stand up from the sitting position.

However, in that video, the ground has a slight slope that is helping me (very subtle but I think it was helpful, my heels are higher than my toes). Also, if you take a look, my armpits are a bit forward since my torso is rotated and maybe inclined to the side. That helps me keep my arm vertical at the bottom of the squat. This picture below shows what I´m saying:

upload_2017-11-15_17-5-51-png.4427

This picture is a snapshot of Strongfirst Bent Press demostration, which in this case it was performed as a bent press-to-squat, hence the torso rotation and inclination

That noise you heard was my knees screaming, "No, no, no!!!" ;):D

That is some good flexibility @Oscar!

@J.C.S. this is me performing a TGU to squat with 19 kg.

There is another nice variation at this linl below. Take a look at the complete thread, you might find it interesting.

Replacement for Get-ups, as Complement to Swings?

Keep in mind that the transition from sitting to squatting is a bit tricky, as it requires good movility. Try it with a light KB first.

@J.C.S. this is me performing a TGU to squat with 19 kg.

Yes, very nice. Now I don't have to make a video :) Not sure I could do it that well anyhow. It's tricky but a nice mobility move and gets most of what the regular get-up does. Hard to go heavy, but a good way to practice and get that time under tension.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom