all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S taking much longer than expected

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
It looks like you have your answers and are getting there. But just wanted to say you are not alone. I've never been able to complete a S&S session in 30 minutes. Best I've managed was 35 minutes using a lighter than normal bell, and I felt like it was rushed. Most of my S&S session have taken around 50 to 60 minutes.
I've had similar in yoga. I've followed a yoga system where the poses are listed in order, pictures on a card. Should be 45 minutes according to the book, it takes me 1 hour 10 mins to complete. But I put that down to being carful and not rushing into poses.
Better safe than sorry.

You are:

#1, using a heavier weight
#2, trying to keep your heart rate down
#3, trying to fit it all into a specific time

You can't have all three - pick any two:

You can have #1 and #2: go heavy weight, keep your heart rate down, at the expensive of #3's shorter time frame.​
You can have #1 and #3: go heavy, take shorter rests, at the expense of #2's higher heart rates.​
You can have #2 and #3: go lighter, stick to your target heart rate and target time, but you'll have given up on #1.​

You don't have to pick your two goals and stick with them forever.

You can focus on shortening workout length gradually if you pursue #1 and #2.​
You can focus on gradually lowering your heart rate if you pursue #1 and #3.​
You can focus on gradually going heavier while sticking to your time and HR if you pursue #2 and #3.​

Note the word "gradually."

Engineers have a saying similar to this: "Light, Cheap, Strong - pick any 2."

NB: I don't believe S&S suggests using a heart rate monitor.

-S-
This is one of the smartest, clearest and concisest posts I’ve ever read on this forum! Well said.

This is one of the smartest, clearest and concisest posts I’ve ever read on this forum! Well said.
The "pick any two" idea really is a thing amongst engineers and has been for a long time. This just presented a perfect opportunity to use that idea in the context of the kinds of things we talk about here.

But it exists in other forms, too, e.g., you will a quotation - I think it's from Pavel - that the goal of any strength training program is to lift as heavy as possible, as often as possible, while remaining as fresh as possible. That's basically just this same thing in a different form, and the idea is the same, namely that you can pick two of the three and then try to gradually improve at the third because it's not possible to have them all at the same time.

Last but not least, thank you, @Gerry K, for the compliment, much appreciated!

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom