all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S: Turkish Getup Stages

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

GovernorSilver

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi all,

Per instructions in Simple & Sinister (original, not 2.0, I guess) I started practicing the two exercises from scratch instead of jumping into Program Minimum. I have progressed to sets of 5-6 reps - not always clean/perfect - of the Turkish Getup in the Prone to Elbow stage.

The book says to practice the TGU in stages but I am unclear as to how best approach the next stage, which is Elbow to Tall Sit. Do I practice Elbow to Tall Sit by itself until I get to 5 perfect reps? Or do I practice the TGU from starting position (Prone) to Tall Sit?

So far I tried a few reps of Elbow to Tall Sit, then finish the set with Prone to Elbow. I've also tried Prone to Tall Sit.

@GovernorSilver you can add stages each time. Eventually you'll be doing a full TGU.

You could also practice the each stage at a time as you suggested. Both are ok. The only important thing is that you try to have perfect technique, whichever alternative you choose.

I personally prefer to add stages.

@GovernorSilver you can add stages each time. Eventually you'll be doing a full TGU.

You could also practice the each stage at a time as you suggested. Both are ok. The only important thing is that you try to have perfect technique, whichever alternative you choose.

I personally prefer to add stages.

Thank you.

Tomorrow, I'll focus only cleaning up the Prone to Elbow stage, then on the following session, try a mix of the two stages again.

Hej @GovernorSilver Welcome to the forum.

This is practice. Feel free to do full get ups here and there. And then deconstruct it again. At the beginning it is not about progression, reps, sets, etc. Just learn and practice the movement until you get the hang of it. Feel free to go freestyle :)

Last edited:
Thank you, Bauer.

Once in a while, when I perform the "perfect rep", the kettlebell is being moved with the least amount of effort, thanks to me stumbling upon just the right combination of body angles and coordination of body actions (posted foot pressure, elbow pressure against the floor, etc.). I am happy to continue the quest to reproduce the perfect rep with greater frequency, while also exploring the next stage.

Hi @GovernorSilver ,
Sorry I'm late to the party!
@Bauer 's advice is awesome!
I've included some ideas to play with on how to program the getup, and some Strongfirst articles that will give you additional advice for each step of the Getup.

Best of luck!

The book says to practice the TGU in stages but I am unclear as to how best approach the next stage, which is Elbow to Tall Sit.

Getup Programming Variations
  • Regular: Normal rise and lower
  • Pyramid: Up one side down the other
  • Compound: Reverse each step before proceeding to the next
  • Building: Each getup goes one step higher
  • Skipping: Repeat one step 3 times
  • Rocking: Moving back and forth between any 2 positions
  • Paused: Pause 3-10 sec at each step
  • Focus: Pause at one step for 1 minute
  • Multiple: Repeat the entire sequence
  • 5 Minute: Take 5 minutes to rise and lower
Once in a while, when I perform the "perfect rep", the kettlebell is being moved with the least amount of effort, thanks to me stumbling upon just the right combination of body angles and coordination of body actions (posted foot pressure, elbow pressure against the floor, etc.).

To Elbow
To Hand
To Lunge
Stand up
Overview

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom