all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S: Variety day instead of light day?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Oscar

Level 7 Valued Member
I´ve been doing S&S for the last 1.5 years, currently progressing from the 24 to the 32. Every few days I take a light day, which usually consists on 80 swings with the 24 and no TGU or just a few with the 24.

My goals are: Short term: practicing S&S with the 32. Medium term: Simple. Longer term: SFG

I´m thinking on changing the light day for a variety day, in order to give the body and mind some rest from swings and get ups. I would also like to do the SFG cert after achieving Simple, so I think that practicing the technique wont hurt. Today I tried some C&P, snatches and double front squat like this:

Warm up: Halos, goblets and TGU with 20 kg.

Practice:

- C&P ladders 2 x (1, 2, 3), 20 kg.
- Snatch 8 x 5, 20 kg.
- Double front squat 3 x 3, 24 kg + 20 kg.

I took long rests, focused on practicing the technique and have some fun. It was a nice session and everyting went well.

So my questions are:

- Is it a good idea a variety day instead of a light day? Or should I stick with swings and get ups?
- if yes: what do you suggest for the variety day?
- Are C&P and snatches a good idea for the variety day? or would I be better off doing something completely different from swings and get ups, like pistols and push ups or pull ups or whatever?

Thanks!

I really like it. I’ve always preferred to alternate S&S with something else (pressing days) just to help stay focused and work on weaknesses

Another option if you want to do S&S daily would be:

Sunday: S&S H
Monday: S&S L + C&P
Tuesday: S&S M
Wednesday: S&S L + Snatches
Thursday: S&S H
Friday: S&S L + Dbl Squats
Saturday: S&S M

In a way, the S&S light sessions would serve as a warm-up to your additional training

I like the variety day. Maybe not snatches though as the swings will take care of that during S&S.

I would think about some barbell work if you have access. If not go bodyweight. Like pull ups, push ups, and pistols .

Fir these days it might help to set an alternative goal. Such as 1 arm push up/pull up. Or just a bigger max set

Well, based on the responses I'm gonna go for the variety day.

Based in the replies, I'm not sure if C&P and snatches are a good idea, or if I should go for pistols, push ups and pull ups, like @Kyle Kowalczuk and @Mark Limbaga suggested. I don't have access to a barbell right now.

I think it was @Anna C who suggested a while back to start practicing the SFG lifts during the final stretch towards Simple?

I think I'll give the C&P and snatches a try for a while and see how it goes. If it's too much along with S&S, I can switch to bodyweight stuff.

Thanks all for the great replies!

Having just achieved Simple I will say that I used some variety days. Allowed me to practice some other skills (Front squats, presses, cleans, snatches, jump rope) when I needed some “play”. I doubt it had much impact on my achievement of Simple.

Based in the replies, I'm not sure if C&P and snatches are a good idea, or if I should go for pistols, push ups and pull ups, like @Kyle Kowalczuk and @Mark Limbaga suggested. I don't have access to a barbell right now.

Why not combine them?

Variety Day A: C&P + Push-Ups (pressing movements)
Variety Day B: Snatches + Pull-Ups (pulling movements)
Variety Day C: DBL Squats + Pistols (legs)

or

Variety Day A: C&P + Snatches
Variety Day B: Pistols, Push-Ups + Pull-Ups

Your short term goal and mid-term goal are based 100% on S&S. So for now, keep that as a priority. Your long term goal is SFG, so I'd practice those movements on light days or as a variety day since they will help you reach that goal but since it's a long-term goal, there is no rush to force them into your program. Just have fun practicing them.

By the way, approximately how long is your long-term goal of SFG?

My current goals are to compete at the TSC in April 2019 and reach the sinister goal.

Last edited:
By the way, approximately how long is your long-term goal of SFG?
I don't have a time frame for these things anymore. Reaching Simple is taking longer than I expected, and I don't know how much longer is going to take. If I was rushed, I think it could take 6 more months for Simple and other 6 months for SFG. But I'm not a fitness professional, so I'm not rushed at all. I think I will set the SFG goal after reaching Simple, I don't like planning too far ahead.

That said, I weight 71 kg, so I could lose 3 kg to do the SFG with the 20 kg bell. If I do that, I think I will have the SFG standards in me by the time I reach Simple, with some short skill practice. Something to consider.

TSC sounds like a lot of fun. Why are you waiting until 2019? I'm considering participating in the unofficial online TSC this year , hosted by @damogari. I would do it just for fun and to set personal records for future reference. I'm not snatching nor deadlifting nor doing pull ups, so you can imagine my numbers. Derek Toshner is getting nervous and he doesn't even know why.

Damogari, are we doing the online TSC this year?

That said, I weight 71 kg, so I could lose 3 kg to do the SFG with the 20 kg bell. If I do that, I think I will have the SFG standards in me by the time I reach Simple, with some short skill practice. Something to consider.

I'm 68.6kg myself and have wondered about that 68kg cutoff. I think I would get a lot of satisfaction doing the SFG with the 24, but still have a ways to go at this stage. I was talking to an SFG about this and he said 'it's strongfirst, not lose-weight-first'. Not saying one approach is more right than another either

it's strongfirst, not lose-weight-first'.
Would Mayweather be champion if he had to fight 100 kg guys?

It doesn't make sense that I should snatch the same bell as a guy who weighs 28 kg more than I. in that line of thinking, ask him if he would be willing to do the snatch test with the 28, like guys above 100 kg, or return the SFG certificate. Or he could email Pavel telling him the the SFG rules are wrong.

I will eventually comply with the SFG standards with the 24, no doubt in my mind about that. I will probably go even further. But that doesn't mean that the 24 kg bell is mandatory for the SFG standard for a guy my size.

TSC sounds like a lot of fun. Why are you waiting until 2019?

I was thinking of participating in the TSC for Oct 2018 for fun but I’ll be on vacation the week before and get back on the 26th, the day right before the TSC. So I wasn’t sure I’d be in any condition to go compete. Either way, I tried reaching the facility closest to me several times but I haven’t heard from them.

I didn’t know there was a unofficial online TSC. Sounds interesting.

Would Mayweather be champion if he had to fight 100 kg guys?

It doesn't make sense that I should snatch the same bell as a guy who weighs 28 kg more than I. in that line of thinking, ask him if he would be willing to do the snatch test with the 28, like guys above 100 kg, or return the SFG certificate. Or he could email Pavel telling him the the SFG rules are wrong.

I will eventually comply with the SFG standards with the 24, no doubt in my mind about that. I will probably go even further. But that doesn't mean that the 24 kg bell is mandatory for the SFG standard for a guy my size.

I know what you mean, it's hard being on the small side and held to the same standards as people 25+% bigger than you.
I think it's a bit different than combat sports though, as you're only competing against yourself.
I'm quite inspired by people like Pavel M., who at our size is putting up numbers that are respectable at any weight.
I think that statement was just emphasizing that the goal should be to get stronger and if you shouldn't compromise strength to meet a certain weight (not that you necessarily have to).
With that said, I'll be avoiding junk food leading up to my SFG!

Damogari, are we doing the online TSC this year?

As I remember last time there was a very little response to the idea of "unofficial TSC" so I decided to not promote it further. I also think that it may be against the best interest of StrongFirst.

Anyway, if there is someone who would like to test his Deadlift, Pull up and Snatch numbers (we can call it DPS Challenge :)) we can agree to test it on specific day (different from official TSC date) and compare numbers, maybe even post a video in our training logs. We just have to make sure that this action will not draw people out from the original event which is superior on every level.

Last edited:
Another variety day option I really enjoy is "Strength Aerobics". Fun circle and good for the overall work capacity. I added the snatch for training purposes.

Take a kettlebell you can comfortably press ten times or so and do:
  • 1 left-hand clean
  • 1 left-hand military press
  • 1 left-hand front squat (change stance if needed before squatting)
  • Park the bell
  • Shake off the tension with “fast and loose” drills
  • Repeat on the right.
Strength Aerobics: A Powerful Alternative to HIIT | StrongFirst

I added a swing and a snatch before the clean to get into the groove. Since you should use a light bell you don´t affect your S&S-swings, but you will get lots of practice.

I believe a TSC can be held and be official without being part of the twice-a-year event. I don't think this happens much now, and I confess I'm not sure if it's still allowed, but when the TSC started, it was just single events here and there, and each event was like a local powerlifting or other athletic meet - people competed with whoever was at their location, the results were posted online, and that was that.

-S-

The weight classes for StrongFirst certifications have been given a lot of thought, and they represent our best thinking on the subject. There is nothing wrong with dropping a little weight to make a weight class - it's a time-honored athletic practice and a matter of personal preference.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom