all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S Very beginner question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mack

First Post
My form is good enough with light/low medium kettlebells that I've switched to attempting the 10x10 KB swings and the 10x1 TGU.
I noticed that I can't really get through all 100 KB swings. Even if I take 2 to 15 minutes between sets, my deadlift muscles don't "snap" after somewhere between 50-80 depending on the day.

1. My question: is this considered a breakdown in form, and I should I stop? Or should I continue to "just swing" without "snapping hard" to finish the 10x10? I can't materially reduce the weight of the bell since I am already starting low. Because I am obese/very overweight, this limitation is due to my deadlift muscles "butt/core" getting exhausted and not due to the weight of the bell (as an experiment one day I tried the reps with a baby weight of 4kg and same limitation was observed).

2. Followup question: The "talk test" does not give me enough recovery time to keep the "hard snap" in my kettlebell swings (one handed or two handed doesn't matter). I need anywhere from 2 to 15 minutes depending on the day and the set to get the "pop" back in my swing after the first 40 or so. Especially if I do the full range of motion in the goblet front squat warmups (which in my shape are more taxing than the KB swings!) Will I maximize injury avoidance & strength results by swinging without "snap" or by taking the necessary rest?

Background:
I am currently 80 lbs overweight, but started at 130 overweight in January and have dropped 50 so far. I was not sedentary but was previously swimming 1-2 miles 2-4 times a week to keep up some conditioning but avoid joint impact strain. I have a heart condition that increases cortisol & catabolism if not tightly controlled, and my recovery time in days is usually about 2-3 times the average. I gained most of this weight being sedentary after a virus weakened my heart and gave me this condition. Before my heart condition, when lifting heavy, I would often only be able to deadlift above 75% every 2 weeks. 20 years ago, I used to be a college athlete and serious amateur martial artist, and spent several adult years between 5.5 and 8% bodyfat. My doctors have approved my exercise program, which includes other things like walking up/down steep slopes and chi-kung not mentioned. I get the best results in terms of range of motion and injury avoidance and strength if I do these light to moderate exercises for an hour to two hours first.

Could you be so kind to upload a vid of your deadlift??

If you're struggling at 50 why not stop at 50 then buffer it that eventually 50 does not take so much out of you?

Last edited:
Could you be so kind to upload a vid of your deadlift??
I don't deadlift right now, unless you mean the wall deadlift with a light kettlebell to practice form, as in ETK? I apologize, maybe I included too much information. :) My question is whether failure to do a "hard snap" constitutes a breakdown in form for S&S, and whether it is worthwhile waiting 15-20 minutes for recovery or at that point am I "done for the day?"

@Mack Welcome!

I was in a similar situation, I totally lacked "power endurance". I switched to sets of 5 and 7 for a while, which worked great. Sets of 10 build up more acid, which is intentional. But Pavel mentions in QnD that people have different rates and speeds of acid buildup and also of clearing it between sets. IIRC beginners tap faster into it.

So maybe sets of 10 are too acidic for you - at least for now. I would work on building up volume with sets of 5 and 7, somewhere between 50 and 100 reps per session. Over time your volume will build up. Throw in sets of 10 here and there. In fact, an older program by Pavel calls for alternating sets of 5 and 10 (ladder approach).

I don't deadlift right now, unless you mean the wall deadlift with a light kettlebell to practice form, as in ETK? I apologize, maybe I included too much information. :) My question is whether failure to do a "hard snap" constitutes a breakdown in form for S&S, and whether it is worthwhile waiting 15-20 minutes for recovery or at that point am I "done for the day?"

Kettlebell deadlift is what I was referring to.

"hard snap" is relative. Let's do this for context..

Upload a vid of your KB deadlift and of your swings so we can give you more useful feedback

And of course: The more you weigh the more your body has to move... and the heart has to work extra hard. So I guess patience and consistency are more important than volume or KB weight.

Good luck!

Nothing wrong in reducing the total volume to 60 reps, and to reduce reps per set to 5 or 6. This is how I built up to 10x10 with the 24 originally. I dont recall exactly but I started with 10x6 then 10x7 and so on until I reached 10x10. It took me one or two months.

You can also do less reps per set: 12×5 then 14 x5 then 12x6 then 14 x 6. Many ways to arrange it. Or even work up to 20x5 before increasing reps per set. If you are needing as much as 15 minutes rest, this road might be the best for you.

15 minutes of rest is too much and will make the program impractical. Just start the sets on the 2 minutes, or on the 3 minutes if you prefer. Do as many sets of 5 as you can, up to 20 under this time scheme. If you can do 10 sets, that's fine, you'll be able to increase that number as weeks go by. Power can drop slightly, but not that much. If form changes, stop.

At the end of my many experiments, I came to the conclusion that if you are doing 60-100 good swings almost daily, you will make progress.

Last edited:
@Mack ,
When starting my journey, and even now, the reps 8-10 tend to want to be a "push" rather than a snap.
I was also not systemically fit enough to handle 10x10 without it affecting my recovery.

For several months I did 5x20 EMOM and really tried to dial in the snap to standing plank along with the other parts of the swing. During this time I mainly worked with the 16k bell.

I then transitioned to 7x14 emom (first two sets 8 swings) until that was EASY.

The next progression was this....
10x 5 3min rest
10x7 on the three minute clock
10x10 on the three minute clock

Then progressing with slightly shorter rest times until the load and self management of the rest times was more intuitive

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom