all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S vs Q&D.......again

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

tobrien

Level 4 Valued Member
I am currently doing John Russia’s FHT program. My wife and I are expecting a new baby in mid-June, and after that I’ll need to taper down to a more efficient training program. I did S&S today just to see how it felt, and I was able to achieve Timeless Simple (swings in ~15’, TGUs in ~10th’). I’m debating whether I should plan on doing S&S or Q&D when the time comes. I plan on doing 2 days of S&S between now and the birth of our son. Any thoughts/recommendations?

Also, I would like to continue with some form of barbell training along with S&S/Q&D. Any recommendations on how best to do this?

Thanks in advance!

I would do S&S swings or Plan 015 swings from Q&D (they are basically the same) two days a week, and Q&D snatches 2-3 rounds once a week followed by barbell lifts (80-90%, 10 reps in 2-3 sets favoring doubles and triples).

Im doing Q&D snatches + GTG push ups since my daughter was born on Dec 28th. It has been very time efficient, an average of only 12 minutes, 3 times a week. Can't beat that with a newborn.

When I did S&S it was about 30-40 min 5 times a week. I can't afford that with a newborn.

What @james_1127 said. Q&D two or three times per week with a couple of deadlift sessions on the days in between (easy strength style). This is the recommendation found in the All Terrain Conditioning manual as well, so you could consider it the approved SF method.

First, congrats on yours incoming baby. Your life is about to change ;) If I were you, I would pick S&S and rotate it with Q&D every 12 weeks.

Applying very broad comparisons, allowing for huge variability, my view is to say S&S is appropriate at any time and Q&D is appropriate only under some circumstances. At the right time, a positive nudge, wrong time a negative one, just a little too much load/intensity.
As it is an advanced programme - and you fit the criteria for that - under your usual circumstances it perhaps is an appropriate progressive choice. But under different circumstances? Under new and different circumstances? And all on top of and during a very unusual change to all our 'normal' circumstances.
As others have said, maybe progress on to it but keep it short and take longer than you would otherwise to immerse yourself into the core of the programme - take more tentative steps, perhaps.
Anyway, you are in a good place, take a step back, enjoy having a new human around and when able to navigate through a change of circumstance, a fine fallback position is S&S, which isn't really a fallback position at all.
We all have new normals now. I'm back on S&S again. I've not done 32 get ups for a long time, so I'm just going to re-aquaint myself with that pleasure and just poodle along to get through this existential crisis. And eat chocolate.
Enjoy the precious joy of being a new parent.

You didn't mention it, but Naked Warrior is in my experience the most time-efficient program from Pavel. I've had good progress on as little as two sets per day: one in the morning, one in the afternoon, increasing difficulty whenever I could get 5 reps and adding reps every 2 weeks. 1-2 days off. 2-3 minutes per day. Hard to beat that time-wise. Squeeze some swings in whenever you can and you get conditioning too.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom