all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S warm up & stretches - running

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Nacho

Level 6 Valued Member
Im going for a run a couple of times a week at the moment ( I also do S&S ) and I really dont have any warm up routine for it. I think it could be beneficial to have one, especially if I go running after sitting all day.

Maybe it would make sense to do S&S warmup & stretches... ?
Or would something else work better for it? Would you add something?

Yes, I have tested it a few times, and I think that both the prying goblet squats and the bridges prepare the body for running in a useful way. Halos may not be all that relevant, but they are good mobility drills for the vast majority of us, anyhow. :)

As a general guideline, a few light sets/reps (2-3 x 3-5) of goblet squats paired with a few get ups (3-5 x 1/side) work well preparing for just about any activity. This also helps refine the movements for the heavier practice in S&S.

For stretches post training, the Brettzel 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 are tough to beat.

would something else work better for it? Would you add something?

Your connective tissue are somewhat like String Cheese. String Cheese is more pliable and flexible when it is warm; so is your connective tissue.

Thus, Stretching works better after a workout.

A good running warm up is to just start off with a easy jog and after a few minutes increase the intensity; similar to starting off with a light weight in an exercise and gradually increasing the weight.

Kenny Croxdale

I agree with Kenny on this one. An easy jog, or even walking is really all the warm up a person needs to get ready for a run...
(45+ years of running...)

Andrew Read has some thoughts on the subject:

Starting running pain free - readpt.com

The salient point being ankle mobility. I don't know your age or running background but little things can amount to big things over time. It seems as though if your Goblet squat is up to snuff then ankle mobility probably isn't an issue. Overall I think this is good article.

Your connective tissue are somewhat like String Cheese. String Cheese is more pliable and flexible when it is warm; so is your connective tissue.

Thus, Stretching works better after a workout.

A good running warm up is to just start off with a easy jog and after a few minutes increase the intensity; similar to starting off with a light weight in an exercise and gradually increasing the weight.

Kenny Croxdale

Yes, but I think there is an important distinction between dynamic mobility work (like the warmup drills in S&S) and stretching. I've understood that static stretches should be avoided before powerlifting 1RM, sprinting etc according to numerous studies. In my experience, though, (N=1 has it's limitations), doing bridges and goblet squats certainly does not weaken my kicks or knee strikes, although doing them in the warmup does improves the range of motion in those techniques. Thus, I don't think they would hurt the running either, yet they do counter the negative impacts of sitting too much.

I've understood that static stretches should be avoided before powerlifting 1RM, sprinting etc according to numerous studies.

Static Stretches

Good point. Static Stretches dampen the Stretch Reflex, decreasing Power Output.

...doing bridges and goblet squats certainly does not weaken my kicks or knee strikes, although doing them in the warmup does improves the range of motion in those techniques.

Weaken Nor Improve

I doubt that impede you kicks or knee strike that much, providing you don't go crazy with them.

However, static stretches prior don't do that much to improve them either.

Research shows the greatest training effect with static stretches is when they are preformed after your workout, rather than prior.

This take us back to...

String Cheese

To reiterate, you're connective tissue is similar to string cheese. When it is cold, it has very little elasticity; more likely to snap apart.

When string cheese is warmed up, it is very elastic and flexible. Thus, static stretching post training produce elicits a greater degree of flexibility.

Dynamic Stretching

Dynamic Stretching prior to training is a much more effective method to employ prior to training. It primes the Stretch Reflex and the Central Nervous System displaying/producing greater Power Output.

Neural Charge

Chris Thibaudeau, Strength Coach, uses Dynamic Movements prior to training as a means of providing what he terms as a, Neural Charge; priming your training movement to be more explosive.

Beyond Stretching

Pavel "explained that since preceding a strength movement with a similar, explosive plyometric movement allows for a greater weight to be used during a strength movement, a greater training effect is elicited. He gave the example of Dr Fred Hatfield would, during competition, precede his squat with a verticle jump and his deadlift with a depth jump." [Building Strength and Power With Complex Training - World Class Bodybuilding Forum]

The Size Principle

The firing sequence of muscle fiber is...

Slow Twitch Type I > Fast Type IIa > "Super" Fast Type IIb/x.

However, when explosive movements like Dynamic Stretching is preformed, the "Super" Fast and Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber are innervated quickly, learn to fire faster

Car Type of Muscle Fiber

Slow Twitch: Think of them a small 4 cylinder car.

Fast Twitch: Think of them as a 6 cylinder car.

"Super" Fast Twitch: Think of them as a fuel injected 8 cylinder car.

The Muscle Fiber Car Race

In this Muscle Fiber Car Race, the "Muscle Fiber Cars" have staggered starts.

The Slow 4 cylinder car is given a heard start.

Then the Fast 6 cylinder car follows behind the Slow 4 cylinder car.

Finally, the "Super" Fast fuel injected 8 cylinder car follows behind the Slow 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder Fast Twitch.

Race Results

The Fast 6 cylinder car quickly overtakes the Slow cylinder car.

The "Super" Fast fuel injected car then passes the Fast 6 cylinder car.

Summary

1) Static Stretch prior to exercise in dampen Power Output to some degree.

2) Connective Tissue is more pliable when heated up; post Static Stretching is more effective.

3) Dynamic Stretching primes the Stretch Reflex, Central Nervous System, engaging the Fast and "Super" Fast Muscle Fiber.

4) Research show that up to 18% more power is produced with the Stretch Reflex. The only way to develop the Stretch Reflex is to train it.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
Sorry for being a little unclear.
I didn`t mean I`d do the stretches as a warmup also, but leave them to be done after run.

Static Stretches

Good point. Static Stretches dampen the Stretch Reflex, decreasing Power Output.

Weaken Nor Improve

I doubt that impede you kicks or knee strike that much, providing you don't go crazy with them.

However, static stretches prior don't do that much to improve them either.

Research shows the greatest training effect with static stretches is when they are preformed after your workout, rather than prior.

This take us back to...

String Cheese

To reiterate, you're connective tissue is similar to string cheese. When it is cold, it has very little elasticity; more likely to snap apart.

When string cheese is warmed up, it is very elastic and flexible. Thus, static stretching post training produce elicits a greater degree of flexibility.

Dynamic Stretching

Dynamic Stretching prior to training is a much more effective method to employ prior to training. It primes the Stretch Reflex and the Central Nervous System displaying/producing greater Power Output.

Neural Charge

Chris Thibaudeau, Strength Coach, uses Dynamic Movements prior to training as a means of providing what he terms as a, Neural Charge; priming your training movement to be more explosive.

Beyond Stretching

Pavel "explained that since preceding a strength movement with a similar, explosive plyometric movement allows for a greater weight to be used during a strength movement, a greater training effect is elicited. He gave the example of Dr Fred Hatfield would, during competition, precede his squat with a verticle jump and his deadlift with a depth jump." [Building Strength and Power With Complex Training - World Class Bodybuilding Forum]

The Size Principle

The firing sequence of muscle fiber is...

Slow Twitch Type I > Fast Type IIa > "Super" Fast Type IIb/x.

However, when explosive movements like Dynamic Stretching is preformed, the "Super" Fast and Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber are innervated quickly, learn to fire faster

Car Type of Muscle Fiber

Slow Twitch: Think of them a small 4 cylinder car.

Fast Twitch: Think of them as a 6 cylinder car.

"Super" Fast Twitch: Think of them as a fuel injected 8 cylinder car.

The Muscle Fiber Car Race

In this Muscle Fiber Car Race, the "Muscle Fiber Cars" have staggered starts.

The Slow 4 cylinder car is given a heard start.

Then the Fast 6 cylinder car follows behind the Slow 4 cylinder car.

Finally, the "Super" Fast fuel injected 8 cylinder car follows behind the Slow 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder Fast Twitch.

Race Results

The Fast 6 cylinder car quickly overtakes the Slow cylinder car.

The "Super" Fast fuel injected car then passes the Fast 6 cylinder car.

Summary

1) Static Stretch prior to exercise in dampen Power Output to some degree.

2) Connective Tissue is more pliable when heated up; post Static Stretching is more effective.

3) Dynamic Stretching primes the Stretch Reflex, Central Nervous System, engaging the Fast and "Super" Fast Muscle Fiber.

4) Research show that up to 18% more power is produced with the Stretch Reflex. The only way to develop the Stretch Reflex is to train it.

Kenny Croxdale

In case I was unclear: I was walking about the warmup drills in S&S, and I define prying goblet squats, bridging for repetitions and halos as dynamic exercises, not static. Dynamic and active mobility work is what I find beneficial during warmup, which is seemingly compatible with the research you refer to.

+1 to @offwidth and @vegpedlr

I personally rather enjoy an easy/moderate S&S session before an easy/moderate run or mountain bike ride (my locomotive activities of choice). Perhaps it's suboptimal, but it just feels good to me and I haven't been able to identify any substantial risk, so I figure why not...

Admittedly, I don't usually do the stretches after S&S per the book. Also, I probably wouldn't combine S&S with running/riding if I were attempting something approaching a max effort at either, on the theory that the energy could be better spent toward that max-ish effort. But a blue collar session with my working weight before aerobic activity works just fine for me.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom