all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S + Weight room?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

WabaR

First Post
Hi there,

I am a longtime reader of Strongfirst forums but I first time poster so please let me know if my post in unclear or unfit based on your guidelines!

I reached the Simple goal of S&S a few years ago but fell of a bit after the birth of a few (3) kids. Over that time I haven't been too active except for the 1-2 days a week I supervise the weight room at school. The coaches actually supervise the kids but a teacher needs to be in the room at all times so I am allowed to go workout. I am there 75 minutes 1-2 days a week and have done 5x5 stronglifts for bench and back squat for the past two years. I really enjoy it and have made great gains strength wise but I am also getting fatter.

I'd like to work on my diet and go back to S&S for fat loss but here is my question. How would you recommend I use my weight room time each week? Will continuing to bench and squat make S&S less effective? Should I do cardio instead? The weight room has powerlifting equipment with platforms, cardio equipment, and basic machines but no Kettlebells.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Welcome!

Your post is well in line with what I have seen on the forum, so no worries about form here:)

in answer to your question, I think your goals are what should determine how you use your time. If you want to keep getting really strong, I can imagine doing S&S four times a week and keeping your current routine. If weight loss and overall fitness is the priority then I can see doing S&S 5-6 times a week with some easy aerobic work on the treadmill. I love uphill walking for this, but easy running is a great option too.

Last edited:
@Pavel Macek gave a good guideline..

Practice until you can unlock the simple standard (timeless simple is sufficient IMHO)

Then practice 1-2 lifts PTTP or easy strength style twice a week

Hi there,

I am a longtime reader of Strongfirst forums but I first time poster so please let me know if my post in unclear or unfit based on your guidelines!

I reached the Simple goal of S&S a few years ago but fell of a bit after the birth of a few (3) kids. Over that time I haven't been too active except for the 1-2 days a week I supervise the weight room at school. The coaches actually supervise the kids but a teacher needs to be in the room at all times so I am allowed to go workout. I am there 75 minutes 1-2 days a week and have done 5x5 stronglifts for bench and back squat for the past two years. I really enjoy it and have made great gains strength wise but I am also getting fatter.

I'd like to work on my diet and go back to S&S for fat loss but here is my question. How would you recommend I use my weight room time each week? Will continuing to bench and squat make S&S less effective? Should I do cardio instead? The weight room has powerlifting equipment with platforms, cardio equipment, and basic machines but no Kettlebells.

Thanks for the recommendation.

- meet the Simple standard first (again) - Timeless is enough.
- focus on your diet - that is the key in your fat loss. Of course, steak+veggies and swings+get-ups are great combo.
- when you meet "Timeless Simple", post again, and I will give you a simple blueprint.

@Pavel Macek gave a good guideline..

Practice until you can unlock the simple standard (timeless simple is sufficient IMHO)

Then practice 1-2 lifts PTTP or easy strength style twice a week

Thank you Mark. Btw. you should change your signature to Elite. Well deserved, brother!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom