all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S with a cold?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

coolrunnings

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi guys

Silly question maybe, but I am 3 weeks into S&S and have been our for the last week with a cold. I am on the tail end now, probably 80% better. What's the general consensus on working out I'm this state?

I think there's a general guideline about symptoms... if your symptoms are above the neck (stuffy nose etc), probably fine to exercise; if below the neck (coughing, body aches) probably best not to.

But yeah, if you feel like it, that's probably as good a guide as any.

I'd say go for it, but go light. Maybe 6 swings per set instead of 10, and get-ups with lighter weight or with a shoe.

What I was going to say was if you have the desire to train, do it.

Allow for extra rest and obviously stop if it doesn't feel right.

I think there's a general guideline about symptoms... if your symptoms are above the neck (stuffy nose etc), probably fine to exercise; if below the neck (coughing, body aches) probably best not to.

But yeah, if you feel like it, that's probably as good a guide as any.

I'd say go for it, but go light. Maybe 6 swings per set instead of 10, and get-ups with lighter weight or with a shoe.

Yep good wisdom. If it's a respiratory infection it's best not to do anything more strenuous than an easy walk. You can actually deepen a respiratory infection with strenuous exercise.

Hello,

You might try. If you feel everything is ok then you can keep going. If you feel something is not right then you would berger stop. Listen to your body but do not force it.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hi @coolrunnings !

I've had a lot of issues with colds and flu's due to some toncillitis, and I've pondered this question 20+ times over the last couple of years.

My conclusion: I have no idea.

Sometimes I'll feel awful (all over) but the training will actually help. Sometimes it will seem to worsen it. Sometimes it will feel great on the day, but I will be deeper in the next. The average, though, for me, is that a training session is almost never worth an additional sick day, so I'll simply stay away from it. What I do instead is grip training with CoC's, which takes far less toll on the body, but keeps the CNS from getting lazy. I've found that I can catch up quite easily with conditioning while CNS slack from no strength training takes longer - hence the grippers are a good solution for me.

Stay healthy!

I know this might sound silly, but when I'm trying to decide if I feel well enough to lift, I give myself the choice: workout or nap? If I decide that the nap sounds better, it's then officially no contest - no workout, and I lie down and even if I don't sleep, I'll read - being horizontal seems to help.

The "workout or nap" choice also means that if I'm not feeling well enough to lift, then the time ought to be directed towards recovery and not simply going on with whatever else.

-S-

Hello,

@coolrunnings
If you know well your body, you will be able to decide only by 'thinking', as @Steve Freides said. Then, go for recovery. This comes with experience and knowledge of your training.

Otherwise, try doing a little warm-up. If you still don't feel it (tired, pain,...) then go for recovery.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Being in the middle of this decision right now, I really appreciate the ideas. One threshold I like to use is if everything just feels heavy, I'll try to work through, but if I feel like I'm going to actually drop something, I'll pass.

But at the moment I'm kind of liking Stevens "nap" idea...

I've tried doing it with a cold when I'm really congested and I find it difficult, mainly the breathing part... I usually pull off of it and do some press ladders, get-ups, mobility work until I can breathe properly again.... I used to think that missing those practice sessions really was going to screw up my progress... I find that it helps as it give me a mental break, some variety and such.

As Dan John says... just make sure to keep the goal, the goal.

I find exercise to help with illness but hinder injury. In the military it was common to be asked, "are you hurt or are you injured?" If only hurt, get back to work. I think I'm better because of it too. A good run flushes out a hangover for example and it also clears out the sinuses of a cold.

I've also experienced great training sessions while feeling crappy. No way to find out if your body is lying to you until you ask it directly by moving some weight around, maybe take a little more warmup time than usual though.

Otherwise, I think Steve F. hit it on the head. If you're not willing to sleep (extreme of recovery), you better be willing to work.

When I was working in a hospital at age 21 I found one day a guy in the same age with heart attack. He had an infection, kept training heart, infection of the heart muscle, boom. sure he survived, but why risk it?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom