Other S&S working weights and progressing

Misabi

Level 5 Valued Member
A few things you can add as you progress and aspire to progress..

1. Add more power to your swings.. work up to comfortably swinging to shoulder height for all sets still with talk test governed rest periods.

2. Do the getups especially the segment up to standing extra slow (each phase takes about 3-5 seconds) these will get you stronger and better conditioned
Thanks Mark, much appreciated.

Last edited:

Misabi

Level 5 Valued Member
A few things you can add as you progress and aspire to progress..

1. Add more power to your swings.. work up to comfortably swinging to shoulder height for all sets still with talk test governed rest periods.

2. Do the getups especially the segment up to standing extra slow (each phase takes about 3-5 seconds) these will get you stronger and better conditioned

Thanks Mark.

I focussed on your 1st point today, I indeed may have been slacking on this one since stepping up to the 32kg and settling for waist height swings at points. Today I focussed on generating enough force to get the float at chest heigh for every swing.

I carried on with partial TGUs with the 32, as per @Molson's suggestion and was able to get comfortably (though I wouldn't say easily) through the roll up to the elbow then up to seated and posting on the straight arm. I'm happy with this progress.
Strength certainly does seem to be a skill as much as it is getting physically stronger. Or at least as much mental as physical in parts. I didn't feel like I could do that several days ago and certainly not a week or so ago. I was couldn't even press the bell while laying on my back just a couple of weeks ago.

IMayAgainKnowChris

Level 5 Valued Member
Thanks Mark.

I focussed on your 1st point today, I indeed may have been slacking on this one since stepping up to the 32kg and settling for waist height swings at points. Today I focussed on generating enough force to get the float at chest heigh for every swing.

I carried on with partial TGUs with the 32, as per @Molson's suggestion and was able to get comfortably (though I wouldn't say easily) through the roll up to the elbow then up to seated and posting on the straight arm. I'm happy with this progress.
Strength certainly does seem to be a skill as much as it is getting physically stronger. Or at least as much mental as physical in parts. I didn't feel like I could do that several days ago and certainly not a week or so ago. I was couldn't even press the bell while laying on my back just a couple of weeks ago.
“Strength is a skill” really hits the nail on the head. I saw a video with Christian Thibaudeau and he was saying that he was doing snatch grip high pulls at 110kg and I guess who ever employs him said “it’d be great to get a video of you doing those at 180kg” and he was like WTH But trained for 3 weeks only doing the SGHP and nailed the 180kg. He made a specific point of saying that nothing physically changed about him. He didn’t add muscle, change diet, yada yada yada. He just greased that neurological groove.
I find on days when I’m firing on all 4 cylinders that I can TGU the 32 On each side and feel relatively good about it.
Here’s another boring anecdote. When I lifted in my 20’s I was 155lbs and my max bench was stuck at 185x2 forever. I just could not get past that sticking point. Could do that for 2 but couldn’t press 190x1. One night when I was benching with my buddy he told me if I do A, B, C and D I could hit 195 For a single. Some stretches or foot position, something like that. Anyhow, he put 205 on the bar and spotted me and thinking I did the magical top secret foot position or whatever I smoothly pressed 205. I’ll never forget when he looked at me and was like “oops. I guess I “accidentally” put 205 on there. Good job”. Goes to show how much of a mental game things can be sometimes. (Slightly different than the neurological adaptation part but still interesting)

Top Bottom