all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
My biggest question is, aside from being regarded the new "entry point" for SF KB work, where this fits with the other stuff out there.

For instance, does it replace only the PM in what would be a recommended sequence working towards employing more advanced KB routines (KB Strong or ETK+-> RTK, for instance), and does going through ROP's concentrated high-volume pressing remain seen as a necessary preparatory/screening step, or is this seen as a replacement for ETK completely (i.e. is  ROP now a pressing program for those who wish to work on pressing, but not seen as a necessary step).

My guess (and sincere hope!) is that S&S is an intro book, updated revised and detailed  ETK and that we will see sequel(s) in the near future.

S&S has clear task/homework -for all of us. Heavy GU with seamless transitions, total control and comfortable overhead position + heavy and explosive 1HSW with crisp technique = "easy" heavy Presses and Snatches in the future. Near or distant, who cares.

I actually started work on a short article partialy related to this,mainly to sort out my own experience (sorry for bad English, no revision yet):

Another example of Apprentice trying to be smarter than the Master: ETK, both PM and ROP.

Get-Ups and Swings, c’mmon that’s easy, let’s do the full programme! For some reason,  the progress in my Presses was not not so great as I have expected… When worked to a relatively heavy Get-Ups, my Presses “suddenly and surprisingly” improved.

Ok, Pavel was right, but - how the hell can I complete a snatch test when snatching once week, on the light day? Well, seen from todays perspective, lot of Swings plus lots of heavy Get Ups plus Presses plus easy Snatches (allowing to concentrate on the perfect technique) = good Snatch.

Same goes for the Swing volume at the SFG cert – they are not meant to “punish the victims" (…well, mostly), but teach us something. It is an interesting fact that after thousands of swings the snatch feels kind of lighter, even after 2 days Hardstyle tough love.

To paraphrase the well known saying, “if at first you don't succeed, try doing what Pavel told you the first time”. And yes, do exactly what he told you. If you change it, you are doing completely different programme – complain somewhere else.
I would personally suggest to finish both Simple & Sinister goals - the sequel will be probably out (and as I said, it is just my guess and wish) sooner than most of the readers complete the outlined goals. Chief says elswhere: "Those who understand life do not hurry". StrongFirst is for patient gentlemen and ladies who simply enjoy what they do.

The book is called Simple & Sinister for a reason - let us not overcomplicate things, right?

Two questions.

1. My wife andI are doing s&s by the book. The workout is taking us about 45 minutes. Should we go more I go you go to bring the workout length down to 30 min?

2. Is it possible to add deadlifts in the afternoon (we workout in the morning)  something like three sessions in two weeks?

Ladies and Gentlemen, I believe this book is AMAZING! I have been focusing on body weight for the better part of two years but recently started up again with KBs. I set a specific fitness goal two years ago and completed it last June and I've been looking for something else. I started S&S two days ago (12/3/13) and plan to do the program AS WRITTEN for a minimum of one year. Just the tWO exercises and moving up a size when ready. The only other exercise I do is Bikram yoga. My wife and I are planning a 10 mile race next May so that may fit in lines with going out and "testing yourself."

Presently, I am swinging one-handed the 24K for the ten minutes are will start compressing rest soon. Also getting the 10 TGUs in ten minutes. Will soon sprinkle in the 32K as outlined in the book. (As an aside, I'd been swinging two-handed the 32 and that's had nice carryover to the one hand with the 24. Also, I have in the last dne getups after swings and LOVE it! I feel much more warmed up. so nice to see this in S&S.)

So, rince and repeat. I have a 40K sitting on the side in my "courage corner" waiting for me. Who knows when I'll use it? But I plan on STICKING to it as written. Maybe, just maybe I'll handle the bulldog and then move up to the Beast. If and when that happens, maybe I'll try another program. Let's trust the process!

Godo luck everyone!

Today marked six days straight. I was wondering if you need to take a day off? I feel alright and wish to keep going. Alot of people say treat it like a job and do it, well some of us work everyday, so why not train everyday?

Speaking of dead lifts...The kettlebell dead lift is shown in the S&S text and was taught in the SFG user class that I took last month. It is not listed as a part of the S&S program, but seems to be a basic of the SFG curriculum. Not trying to tweek, but where does it fit in the world of someone embracing S&S?

Dave, in my own learning experience,  kettlebell dead lift is a drill to learn now to swing.

Just to be clear. A H2H swing, is a 1 hand swing. Just because you switch at the end of each rep does not disqualify it as being a 1 hand swing.

1-hand swings can be as few as 1 rep per hand, or as many as you want.  Alternating (H2H) swings simply help to manage grip fatigue.

As Daniel mentioned...it never fails..."can I do this instead...can I add this, or subtract this..."??  Well, as Dan John said on his forum..."if you add anything to Mass Made Simple, that I did NOT advise you to do, then you're not doing MMS. You can do whatever you want, but if you change it, don't call it MMS, because it's not the same thing"~!

An even better one is his One Lift a Day program....do one lift, for 45:00....brutaly simple concept...but people will ask..."can I add some squats to that?"....absolutely....but then you're doing TWO lifts....!

People....

Hello everyone.

Can someone tell me when the abs should be relaxed after tightening them at the top of the swing?

Thanks in advance.

@ Swinger, I think you need to be careful when you think about "relaxing" the abs during a swing. After the "plank at the top", you may choose to pull the bell down, which activates the abs as well. When you inhale sharply for the backswing, your abs are somewhat relaxed, but there is still tension as you are inflating the lungs and the sharp inhale activates the diaphragm, especially when inhaling through the nose(think of sniffing).  I think the most relaxation they get is probably during the start of the float up right before the plank and reversal. That being said, if you truly relaxed them at that point, you run the risk of extending your spine versus getting the proper hip extension.

Thank you Joe. I used to think think that the abs should be tensed throughout the swing but the instructions in S&S were to tense at the top of the swing, so I wondered when should they be 'not tensed' in the motion in order to go from one state to the other.

Is it OK to do 3 or 4 days of S&S and 2 days deadlifts 10 reps total and barbell military press 3x(1,2,3)?

It has been a goal of me to deadlift 2x bodyweight (between 150 and 155 - now 110kg deadlift) and press bodyweight (75-77,5kg). I feel like S&S perfectly complements my goals, and after a week of S&S (have been a little sick, no barbell), it feels like it has a positive effect on my body. I deel better now. S&S gives me a broad base of strength and movement, and the deadlift and military press are my goals

On the last page of S&S, the summary page, Pavel advises if you're doing another lifting program that you cut back to 2 days of S&S. I'd recommend starting with that, and adding sessions if you feel good.

Regarding the 10 reps in 10 minute TGU criteria in S&S, is that 10 reps with time under tension to total 10 minutes (5R/5L 1 minute each) or perform 10 solid TGU within 10 minutes?

Thank you.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom