all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Adrian

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello. I'm new to the forum. Thanks for having me. My question is: would there be any benefits to doing S&S with GTG technique. 5 minutes rest in between sets for strength. Thanks for your time.

Hello Adrian, welcome to the forum.

If you want to spend 2 hours on a session then...maybe yes. For pure strength building the 5 minutes between sets is a good rule of thumb, but more appropriate (in my opinion) for heavy barbell work, like Pavel's Power to the People. S&S is as Al Ciampa noted an A+A program. That means, your set of swings should mostly be fuelled (A)lactic, meaning without to much build up of lactate (when the working muscles "burn") and your recovery between the sets is managed through your (A)erobic system.
Practically there are two ways to accomplish this:

- after your set of swings rest so long, till you can speak (to your kettlebell, when there is only you and the damn iron) comfortably and then yes, then rest just a little bit more, and this makes a whole lot of a difference. Try nose breathing. Try to exhale completely. Then Inhale. It is that simple, but not so easy to do.
- use a heart rate monitor, which I really recommend, especially if you 1. train on your own 2. you are new (especially on S&S), and then there comes the useful Maffetone formula into play. The breathing guidelines above are still valid.

S&S is about: power production, strength, conditioning, tension, relaxation, breathing, work capacity, consistency, the body and it's mind...in short: a foot long, and miles deep when you keep digging.

Simple & Sinister + Heart Rate Monitor | StrongFirst

Five minutes between sets is not really GTG anyway. Pavel recently posted that a minimum rest for GTG is 15 minutes, and although there is no maximum, recommended doing a set at least every hour (this was for bench press).

I sometimes do my S&S swings in a spread out fashion. I do blocks of 2-4 sets, usually with about a minute rest in between, throughout the day, with long rest in between blocks. I do it this way mainly for convenience, so I can get my swings in during the work day, not for any performance reason. Four sets at a time doesn't take very long and doesn't make me break a sweat, so it's easy to squeeze them in. When I do it this way, I often end up doing 3-6 blocks during the day. So while my total volume is usually more than 100, I barely feel like I've done anything.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom