all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Safe swing area size? Backstop?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Eoj

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello,

Are there general gym recommendations in size, clear area, or even backstop recommendations for S&S?

In a garage gym, I swing in the middle of thee stall mats. I let a 24kg bell slip, it flew about 6 feet, bounced another 2 feet and dented a heavy garage door.

Not the end of the world, but with the whole family training, I suspect a 90% chance it happens again some day.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
joe

Don't be Jimmy Kimmel in the super bowl commercial... ?

But hey if your bell flew 6 feet, you're swinging explosively! (y)

I recommend to make whatever adjustments you need to prevent damage to your physical space if that reoccurs... And use chalk to help your grip.

Thanks,

I think this time was mental lapse more than anything.

I understand not being able to quantify any absolutes and leaving things to users best judgement. It sounds like a padded bunker is best for practice and living room is worst.

It seems like about 10’ is now my preferred clear space up front. Is there a similar danger to the rear I’m not thinking about, or is a bell going backwards rare?

Thanks again!

It seems like about 10’ is now my preferred clear space up front. Is there a similar danger to the rear I’m not thinking about, or is a bell going backwards rare?

Sounds like you're good. You could lose grip at the bottom and it might hit the floor but won't go far. I'd make sure there are no pets or kids nearby as well. Anyway you'll get more confidence as you practice, and anywhere feels safe after a while.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom