all posts post new thread

5/3/1 - Back from the Dead(lift)

04/16/24

Warmup

Power - Jump onto 42 in’ box x 3 x 3 sets

Snatch Grip DL - work up to 315 lbs x 5

Ab wheel x 5 x 3 sets

Single Arm KB Press - 53 lbs x 5,5,15 R/L

Wasn’t sure if I’d deadlift today. Originally, today’s Pull workout was going to be weighted chins but smth whispered deadlift. The weights were flying so I decided to set a lifetime PR on the snatch grip: no straps/no belt. Felt awesome.

I realized earlier last week a revelation that I always seem to forget…I HATE BEING BIG!!!

I had gained substantial weight in the past months, a lot of which, was muscle. This no doubt helped my pressing strength more than anything. However, I felt heavy meaning slow, sluggish, immobile, constantly tired and bloated. My belly was popping a little…

The weight gain made me feel a little aged and I was constantly “eating my way through my sticking point.” To be honest, I felt crappy at the end, despite the pressing progress. This may have also been from overdoing it.

With summer approaching, however. This desire to be lean resurfaces like the thoughts of a great white shark ruining my beach getaway. I miss being shredded so I’m moderating my diet, allowing myself to accept mediocre bench press strength in exchange, though I have a suspicion…that desire will in due time resurface again ROFL

With summer approaching, however. This desire to be lean resurfaces like the thoughts of a great white shark ruining my beach getaway. I miss being shredded so I’m moderating my diet, allowing myself to accept mediocre bench press strength in exchange, though I have a suspicion…that desire will in due time resurface again ROFL
Even at my advanced age, this desire haunts me every year...and every year I sabotage it because, psychologically, I'm compelled to maintain my strength. So I'm trying to embrace my muscular "dad bod". But I support you @Philippe Geoffrion! Good luck!

Even at my advanced age, this desire haunts me every year...and every year I sabotage it because, psychologically, I'm compelled to maintain my strength. So I'm trying to embrace my muscular "dad bod". But I support you @Philippe Geoffrion! Good luck!
Thank you sir. I may accept the dad bod…when I’m actually a dad! ROFL

The extra mass helps…but for me, it’s mostly with pressing. However, Everything else seems to improve when I lose extra fluff

04/17/24

Warmup

Upper back work/shrugs

A1) Bench Press w/ pause
Work up to 205 lbs x 5

B1) KBell High pull
2 x 24 kgs KB x 15 x 2 sets

C1) BW Squats
1 set of 50

Well, to my satisfaction, my bench strength has remained despite eating much less the past week, soreness in my pecs and a truly crummy night of sleep.

I opted for a technique change. A few to be precise. I’ve always unracked the bar with my hips down, basically in pressing position. After observing many powerlifter using the methods of dropping their hips after unracking the bar, I gave it a shot. Oddly, my flutes barely moved…watching the video, it was almost as if I could’ve pressed with a slight decline/bridge. This may be because of the fat pad being thicker and thus higher than a standard bench.

I also decided I’d give the “soft pause” technique a try. And it didn’t disappoint. I felt very solid and my last best bench set was 205 for 8 in the touch and go style but today I paused. The reps felt smoother with the pausing and it felt like I had another in the tank.

So happy, happy, happy with that. I’ve changed my diet a lot, eating lite during the day and following my workout, eating a large meal. Before bed, it’s oatmeal and a banana with chamomile tea. Breakfast and lunch are oats with yogurt, berries and black coffee. Lunch is sardines w/olive oil, toast and some pistachios to crunch on throughout work. For dinner, I’ll eat a mixture of salad with lots of veggies and a carb (rice,potatoes) and a protein. For the protein, I’m leaning more toward fish and poultry instead of pork or beef, though I’ll have the latter two once or twice a week.

Another small victory was after my workout when I was stretching, I hung in a tucked front lever position for maybe 30 seconds. Five months ago, I couldn’t do a pull-up, or even pull myself into a tuck lever because of some funky shoulder issue that plagued me. No problems today! Feelin good…knock on wood.

Longest deadlift set ever (felt unbalanced from left to right and realized I wasn’t even gripping the bar symmetrically. The reason I don’t lock out is because I feel my grip is going to slip out at the top.)

Bench Press pauses from today

04/22/24

Warmup

Squat - Bar x 3, 135 x 2, 225 x 2, 275 lbs x 1
315 lbs x 3

Standing Cable Rows - 20,15,15

Push-ups (Diamond, feet elevated) - 20, 15,15

Tied my best ever set w/ 315 for a triple on low bar squats. Wasn’t half bad. Took it easy on everything else.

Did a couple workouts over the weekend I didn’t log, most notably a dip set of five w/ 90 lbs.

Squat maybe a wink high. I blame the camera angle and my enormous Vastus lateralis. For what it’s worth, I’ve never been reslighted for depth. I’m counting it IDC!!!

Back
Top Bottom