all posts post new thread

5/3/1 - Back from the Dead(lift)

Day 4

4 rounds
A1)Clean and Press - 135 x 1,2,3 ,3,3, 6 (RM)
A2) One Hand Chin - 5,5, 5 two arm—15 (RM)

B1) Squats - 245 x 5 x 2 sets

RE
Band rows, Face pulls x 3 sets x infinity

Was a bit tired from walking yesterday and today and my glutes, calves and hamstrings were all sore from it and SLDL so training suffered a bit.

Skipped dynamic exercise as I needed to share the bar today and if you don’t claim your spot, you can wait for hours for it...not really but it gets difficult.

Happy my press is pretty much where I left it. HSPU have preserved it. May’ve even been stronger if my back and legs didn’t feel fried from the week’s work.

Squatting was a challenge today for sure, but needed to get some in. The heavy squat and DL days will demand bodyweight exercises for the upper body as two barbell lifts a day is pushing it. Nonetheless, the squat isn’t far behind where it was. I could maybe get 10 reps w/ 245 fresh.

For these two lifts, repetition goals are
Press - 135 x 10
Squat - 245 x 15

When I squat this weight for 15 reps, and FS it for 6, I’ll be able to jump to the next plates@ 365 lbs. I may also do either Anderson, Box squats, or attempt a heavy zercher with the 365 before deciding to back squat it. Also, a belt would get me there faster but not an option rn.

Day 5 Rest Day

A beautiful day in Paris yesterday spent with friends by the river. We walked around 13 km, got ice cream and played music together. A perfect recovery day and great reminder of why I came here.

Day 6
6 km walk to park.

A1) Zercher squat x 245 x 10
A2) Vertical Jump x 3

3 Rounds
B1) One arm push-up (feet up) x 5
B2) Front Lever tucks x hold for as long as possible

R.E. 3 Rounds
C1) One ArmSwings x 10 per arm
C2) Chins neutral grip x 10
C3) Dive bomber pushups

power snatch practice- singles with 135

Strong session for squats. I will probably emphasize squats over pulls for a while as my pull feels far stronger than my squat. Tomorrow will be a pressing emphasis day with Bridge Press being the main barbell lift. Knee dominant moves will be more emphasized then hip but I will still have both. Need those quads and upper back stronger to squat 365 x 3, which is my goal but I will probably only attempt after successfully doing so with the zercher squat.

One top set has felt great for barbell lifts, but seeing as I can’t expect to PR every time, especially on presses,I may do clusters, rest pauses or just higher volume days for the bar or, just rotate the lifts west side style like week 1 bridge press week 2 floor press week 3 incline press. I am limited in the variety of loading though. BW assistance exercises are still serving me well and I am pleased on how they’ve assisted my barbell work and visa versa.

Day 7

6 KM walk

Dynamic 3 rounds
A1) Philippe's Burpee (explosive) x 3
A2) Power Clean + 2 Hang Cleans w 135 lbs.

Strength 3 rounds
B1) Bridge Press 245 x 5,6,5
B2) Chins w/ 26 kgs x 3,2,1

RE
C1) Walking Lunges x 100 (50 per leg)
C2) Crawling
C3) One long farmers walk with 26 kg plate in each hand.

Stretch

Good training day, used a closer grip on Bridge Press to accommodate shorter ROM. Chins felt tough because of rep work yesterday but that's okay. My Burpee is like a quick drop into an explosive pushup that transitions into a squat. I like it because it primes my body very well and I use it not for conditioning but for speed. Lunges were a nice way to finish and flush the legs while crawling and farmers both for some nice shoulder reinforcement and grip/core strength. Walked back home afterwards.

Day 1
Off after a late night of frivolities!

Day 2

A1) Vertical Jump
A2) Trap style DL- 135x 5, 250x 5, 365 x 5,
480 x 5 (Top set)

B1) Dips w 26 kg x 6,6,5
B2) Step up - BW x 8,8,8 per leg

RE
C1) Single Arm rows w 26 kgs x 15, 15
C2) OH single arm plate walk x infinity

Once again pleased with pulling. I think limiting barbell work to one lift a session keeps my spine fresh for the heavy set. This was a big PR by 3 reps. Having a goal before the set and visualizing for like 5 minutes really seems to be magical.

Dips felt good, but the bar heights are uneven and one side is wobbly. We use two bike racks lined up next to each other, which is nice as it allows you to adjust the width. Closer feels easier on my shoulders. Step ups are hard, I don’t actually touch the ground with my non working foot to alleviate cheating. It’s like a pistol with one leg straight down instead of forward, a little easier on the knees and doesn’t make flexibility my limiting factor.

Rows for the back, some walls and we’re cake.

Today’s deadlift set

I see we have a similar approach to our training...mixing in a lot of different movements into the rotation. Love the creativity and the atmosphere. Keep up the good work!

Day 2

3 Rounds
A1)Explosive Push-up x 3
A2) Dead Stop Floor press off blocks-190 lbs x 5
+ 1 AMRAP with 135 x 22
A3) Front Lever practice
A4) Bridge + lat stretch

B1) Goblet Squat w 52 kgs x 6, 8, 10

C1) Band face pulls x 20, 20
C2) Plate Around the worlds

Figured out a way to load only 190 lbs on bar but only will work on a floor press off of blocks. We acquired new weights at the park, shaped like legos.thet weigh 26 kgs, like every plate, but the shape allows me to load a single one directly in the middle of the bar and on the blocks, there is enough room to wiggle my torso under.

Deadstop floor press was a tough mudder. First rep is East, but a whole reset between reps and the dead start is really difficult. I’m much, much stronger when u have pretension and at least a bit of stretch reflex. Did a light RM set afterwards.

Used the LEGO weights for my goblet squats too. These felt solid, and am looking to see what heavy squat I will do tomorrow.

I think the typical lifter is spoiled, so that everything except the deadlift is done without a dead stop, even if it's not meant to. Like how many so called strict presses, have you seen on Youtube that started dead on the chest? Deadstop pressing, whether is vertical or horizontal or whatever, is really hard, and really teaches how to give your all in the beginning and get the weight moving.

I think the typical lifter is spoiled, so that everything except the deadlift is done without a dead stop, even if it's not meant to. Like how many so called strict presses, have you seen on Youtube that started dead on the chest? Deadstop pressing, whether is vertical or horizontal or whatever, is really hard, and really teaches how to give your all in the beginning and get the weight moving.

Yes, I agree completely. I find them even harder than a dead squat. There must be some value in doing harder variations like this and such that mine is so weak compared to my regular floor press, I'd imagine that bringing it up would have some good carryover for speed and strength off the chest, right???

Yes, I agree completely. I find them even harder than a dead squat. There must be some value in doing harder variations like this and such that mine is so weak compared to my regular floor press, I'd imagine that bringing it up would have some good carryover for speed and strength off the chest, right???

This is a really interesting question. Do regular folks need to work deadstop strength?

To extend this to an extreme example, consider jumping and squatting. A good jump is kind of like an extremely short ROM squat relying very heavily on stretch reflex. Does deadstop squat strength add to your jump, or does the jump bypass that portion so completely that you never miss it? I don't know.

I like doing all my heavy grind work deadstop - specifically because I'm trying to teach the body how to grind. I suppose, philosophically, I've sort of separated my training into heavy grinds with no bounce, and relatively light power work for bounce.

This is a really interesting question. Do regular folks need to work deadstop strength?

To extend this to an extreme example, consider jumping and squatting. A good jump is kind of like an extremely short ROM squat relying very heavily on stretch reflex. Does deadstop squat strength add to your jump, or does the jump bypass that portion so completely that you never miss it? I don't know.

I like doing all my heavy grind work deadstop - specifically because I'm trying to teach the body how to grind. I suppose, philosophically, I've sort of separated my training into heavy grinds with no bounce, and relatively light power work for bounce.

it’s hard to say. When you think of real life, most things we lift don’t have much of a stretch reflex but then again most things aren’t anywhere near as heavy as a barbell we can load.

For me, long limbs all equaled a pretty nice stretch reflex. I’d think learning to recruit that tension before it runs out would help propel you past your sticking point. Many seem to agree, Josh Brant and Jeremy Hoornstra being teo who definitely are proponents of dead stop bench training. Anderson seemed to use it to great success in the squat. I’d think taking away our advantages would help strengthen we’re we lack, heck quarantine showed me that. But specificity must also be observed and I’d think you’d have to continue training the lift as it is done proper to really reap the benefits. Anyways, I’m sure in the least it can’t hurt and will help develop a more powerful spring from the bottom but so does speed utilizing the SR. I suppose that’s why I use them all

But specificity must also be observed and I’d think you’d have to continue training the lift as it is done proper to really reap the benefits.

This for sure. Particularly if your goal is lift the heaviest barbell you can, you gotta have both - train the reflex, but work on the "sticking point" strength. But for folks who never plan to do a max lift, maybe the deadstop isn't so important? I've been pondering on what the "real world" actually looks like.

If you gotta push a stalled car, that's dead stop.

If you gotta push another person... assuming you get a running start at them, you probably get a little bounce. If they're on top of you and you want them off, that's dead stop.

If you're trying to get something heavy up to a high shelf, it'll probably be some kind of push press, you get some bounce.

I suppose in the end, if you have the time and energy, it's better to work both, like you said. I just like the thought experiment.

This for sure. Particularly if your goal is lift the heaviest barbell you can, you gotta have both - train the reflex, but work on the "sticking point" strength. But for folks who never plan to do a max lift, maybe the deadstop isn't so important? I've been pondering on what the "real world" actually looks like.

If you gotta push a stalled car, that's dead stop.

If you gotta push another person... assuming you get a running start at them, you probably get a little bounce. If they're on top of you and you want them off, that's dead stop.

If you're trying to get something heavy up to a high shelf, it'll probably be some kind of push press, you get some bounce.

I suppose in the end, if you have the time and energy, it's better to work both, like you said. I just like the thought experiment.

Indeed. I suppose it’s only really important to train something specifically if you’re only concerned with improving that one thing like a power lifter is to the lifts. But I think for myself, I’d rather have really lifeapplication more so than just a strong bench press and no application outside of that. If I have a strong bench, I’d want that bench to help push a car or an opponent or anything for that matter.

@Philippe Geoffrion & @WhatWouldHulkDo

I don't remember ever doing a real dead squat. It's so awful to get in position. I have done some very long pause squats, though, like a minute or two with a decent weight (~50% 1RM) and those can be hard on me to get up. But I can't comment on dead squats specifically. Though I have done pin zerchers, and love them, maybe the ultimate primal feel-strong exercise there is.

I have trained the dead bench according to what the aforementioned Bryant recommends. I think it helps with driving the bar off the chest, really forces me to use all the muscle fibers in the beginning. It's very taxing and very hard on the muscles. It doesn't feel good at all.

Part of the difficulty of the dead exercises comes to whether one can effectively preload the muscles and generate tension. The press behind the neck is a great example. If I have the weight all on my traps, and start pushing from that point, all of a sudden, it's very hard on the shoulders. But if I take just a little of it on the arms, and from there to the rest of the body, it's far easier. Still miles from reps with a descent and the stretch reflex, though. With the dead bench the weight is all on the safeties and I have to generate the force from nothing. I suppose the same distinction could be done with the dead squat, so that would one start the ascent with the bar on the back or slightly before it, how much of the load is on me and how much on the pins. It's the same with the zerchers. I would think it a good idea to set the pins so that the start doesn't get too comfortable.

The box squat also deserves a mention when it comes to the subject. Now, I haven't done it for long, so I'm not that qualified to comment on it. But I really loved the exercise, both on how it felt and how it made my free squats feel.

I think the dead exercises, so to say, would have a meaningful effect for everyone. Teaches how to recruit the muscle fibers right in the beginning, that explosive strength.

The extent of the help for any individual would of course be individual. Take the bench press as an example. The powerlifter and the shot putter have a very different bench press. I would say that both benefit from how the other one trains but the different style should be used sparingly.

Of course, we could also discuss the length of the stretch reflex. Josh Bryant recommends quite long breaks between the single reps in the dead bench. Simmons thinks the stretch reflex lasts for so long that actually training a paused bench is counterproductive. There are different viewpoints and different thoughts based on the same viewpoints.

In general, for the average guy, train however you feel like you want to train, for specific needs like competition SAID comes into play more strongly.

@Philippe Geoffrion & @WhatWouldHulkDo

I don't remember ever doing a real dead squat. It's so awful to get in position. I have done some very long pause squats, though, like a minute or two with a decent weight (~50% 1RM) and those can be hard on me to get up. But I can't comment on dead squats specifically. Though I have done pin zerchers, and love them, maybe the ultimate primal feel-strong exercise there is.

I have trained the dead bench according to what the aforementioned Bryant recommends. I think it helps with driving the bar off the chest, really forces me to use all the muscle fibers in the beginning. It's very taxing and very hard on the muscles. It doesn't feel good at all.

Part of the difficulty of the dead exercises comes to whether one can effectively preload the muscles and generate tension. The press behind the neck is a great example. If I have the weight all on my traps, and start pushing from that point, all of a sudden, it's very hard on the shoulders. But if I take just a little of it on the arms, and from there to the rest of the body, it's far easier. Still miles from reps with a descent and the stretch reflex, though. With the dead bench the weight is all on the safeties and I have to generate the force from nothing. I suppose the same distinction could be done with the dead squat, so that would one start the ascent with the bar on the back or slightly before it, how much of the load is on me and how much on the pins. It's the same with the zerchers. I would think it a good idea to set the pins so that the start doesn't get too comfortable.

The box squat also deserves a mention when it comes to the subject. Now, I haven't done it for long, so I'm not that qualified to comment on it. But I really loved the exercise, both on how it felt and how it made my free squats feel.

I think the dead exercises, so to say, would have a meaningful effect for everyone. Teaches how to recruit the muscle fibers right in the beginning, that explosive strength.

The extent of the help for any individual would of course be individual. Take the bench press as an example. The powerlifter and the shot putter have a very different bench press. I would say that both benefit from how the other one trains but the different style should be used sparingly.

Of course, we could also discuss the length of the stretch reflex. Josh Bryant recommends quite long breaks between the single reps in the dead bench. Simmons thinks the stretch reflex lasts for so long that actually training a paused bench is counterproductive. There are different viewpoints and different thoughts based on the same viewpoints.

In general, for the average guy, train however you feel like you want to train, for specific needs like competition SAID comes into play more strongly.

Awesome insights @Antti. I think definitely the disadvantage to dead weight lifts is not being able to feel the weight first. It’s almost like getting sucker punched as opposed to being braced and prepared for an incoming blow.

Truly dead exercises where you relax between repetitions at the bottom are especially harder. One can easily lower a weight to the rack and while maintaining tension, gently test the bar on the rack and do a rep far more easily then to relax between reps, reset up and start from ground zero again.

The box squat is an interesting animal because there are so many variations people do from bouncing to rocking to lightly tapping. For me, I rock just a tad (I find it near impossible not to if you’re really trying to ‘sit back’) and has almost the same effect for me as a board press as a box squat below parallel with perfectly straight knees makes no sense to me as in a physical impossibility.

As for the benefits of dead stop, you’re right. I’d think they’d have some effect on developing starting strength. It is funny how (some) sprinters can run a 200 meter dash faster than double their best 100 meter time. This is because the second 100 meters has a running start. I’d think dead bench would give you a little bit of that ‘running start’.

Last edited:
Day 3

A1) Front squat - 245 x 1,1,2,1,2

3 Rounds
B1) Chins x 10, 10, 13
B2) HSPU x 6, 6, 6

RE
Band Pull Throughs x 50
Pull Aparts x 50
Band Curls x 50

Got a couple doubles on the front squat which pleases me. This lift is going slowly and it will be critical to improve it. Of course, I haven’t done it fresh really yet as I have with my pulls. The rack is a bit wobbly as well and you nearly have to squat to take it out as it’s the same uneven bike racks I use for dips. The setup is paramount to success, as it is with all lifts I find, and the higher up towards my throat I can anchor the bar, the stronger the rep will be.

Everything else was just business as usual. Day or days of rest to come and OH press gets its first first day of a training week next. Think I’ll do three days on, one or two off rotating pull, bench, squat, press days so that every lift gets its own first day as part of the rotation, with other variations taking up the next two days. Like Day 1) Squat, Day2) BTN Press then Day 3) Snatch deads, break, followed by Day 1) floor press (main bench variation rn), Day 2) zercher squat and day 3) push press.

Day ?

A1) Press- 135 x 3,3,3,3,3 7 Top set
A2) Pullups x 6,8,8,8,8, 12

B1) High Bar Squat - 240 x 3,3,5 (10)
B2) Hanging Leg Raises x 3,3,3,3,3

Broke my rule today. Did two heavy barbell lifts but heck, it felt right. It seems my training has evolved again and hopefully I am to evolve with it. Bar is so bent now. After one day break, someone bent it to he//. Kind of upsetting but hey, gotta make it work.

I find my lifts get stronger the more sets I do. This is my body adapting to the movement and since I don’t have access to a variety of weights, I use the heavy weights to warm up. I do less reps to get the feel and after a few sets of pauses and adjustments, I’m ready for a big set.

Cleaning the bentbar for Press was anything but pleasant. It spins around at the catch, throwing me off balance. The squats are done on somewhat rocky terrain and all these things effect the lifts. Still I am pleased with the session. First sets are paused reps, for squats and presses, and PR set is TnG. Felt strong today. Will see if I can pull tomorrow, or take it easy.

Top press set.

Top HB Squat set

The Day after yesterday

Warmup
Cleans, snatches w/135 lbs

Sumo- 360 lbs x 1,2,3, 12 (top set)
Floor Press- 240 x 2,2,3
Dips w 25 kgs x 8,8
Chins (parallel grip) - 15, 15
Horizontal Bw rows x 15,15
BSS x 20, 20

Odd. My deadlift seems unaffected by yesterday’s squats though my glutes and adductors are somewhat sore. Hit a nice top set and now I have little doubt I can pull the 225 kg bar for a single. It’s bent shape gives it a little less ROM now but hey! That’s okay.

Forfloor press, this makes it a larger ROM, almost like a cambered bar. There was evidently residual fatigue from heavy presses today as I felt myshoulder and chest? not feeling up to it. Dips showed me it was shoulder fatigue, as they felt easy and theynearly eliminate felt involvement,which is nice, as they’re nearly the exact opposite type of press.

Did a bit more volume afterwards, buy I’m pleased with my pull. Had some grip issues during the set with the bar swinging so there’s one strange rep then had to reset for my final rep. Also, I wonder if I’m more used to a fat bar now and if it’s feel off to use a regular one. Food for thought. Maybe one day we’ll see.

Deadlift top set

Day 3

Floor Press185-190 x 5,5,5 15(top set)
Band rows- 20 x 5 sets
Belt Squats 20 x 2 sets (26 kgs)

Pretty good top set for floor press. Decided to go lighter and used the LEGO weight in the center. This was slightly problematic but worked okay in the end, as you’ll see in the video.

Took it easy on assistance work as it’s day three but happy with the this series. Squat gets fresh day next!

Day 4

Low Bar Squat- 250 x 11
Planche + Front Lever practice

Did what I shouldn’t have and broke my rule And did 4 days in a row ?. Oh well, only got one more rep of five pounds plus over my high bar RM, which was only two dats before this so I blame fatigue. Also, signs that I shouldn’t push we’re present a CrossFit like group was using the bar so I sat around for about an hour in blazing heat, warming up, being too warm, waiting. Felt tired before I even begun. But as of today, two days off do hit the press tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom