all posts post new thread

5/3/1 - Back from the Dead(lift)

Day 5

Press
100 x 5, 110 x 5, 120 x 5
100 x 5 x 10 sets

Accessories at home

Our gym has a powerlifting meet so I helped set up after work today. My session was done in between various other tasks like setting up the platform, monolift, warmup areas, etc. not the most focused session but also…kind of a breeze despite a day of 12 hrs of labor.

Day 6/7 OFF

Day 1
Squat- 135 x 3, 225 x 5, 255 x 3
275 x 10, 225 x 20

Face Pulls, Push-ups, RDLS x 60 reps

Squats a tad high for powerlifting standards. Something to remedy. Hit my goal weight for cycle 1 without much issue. Mobility needs work. Oly lifting shoes? Don’t own any now. Belt use? Considering it.

Seemed the bar was not exactly centered on the 20 rep set. Chaos training accidentally. Assistance was easier today. Hope my glutes aren’t too scorched. InNOut for post workout and my usual eggs, meat, spinach and rice for 2nd post workout.

Top set

Widowmaker

Day 2

Bench Press 195 x 5 x 5 sets

No time for accessories. Glutes sores as usual so threw in a hip warmup. Need to eat more somehow for this early morning session. First set felt the strongest because rest was short (2 minutes) so I could get to work on time.

I don’t like rushing strength sessions but sometimes it is this way. Never had any doubt I’d finish though.

Warmup takes a while because it’s cold and my hips get tight after the squat/deadlifts day. Might be a good idea to implement mobility drills for the lower body on off days. I’m sitting at 175 lbs right now (on empty stomach), which isn’t bad. I’d like to get to 180 within a couple months. For pure muscle gains for me, a little under 1 lb a week seems just right.

Day 6/7 OFF

Day 1
Squat- 135 x 3, 225 x 5, 255 x 3
275 x 10, 225 x 20

Face Pulls, Push-ups, RDLS x 60 reps

Squats a tad high for powerlifting standards. Something to remedy. Hit my goal weight for cycle 1 without much issue. Mobility needs work. Oly lifting shoes? Don’t own any now. Belt use? Considering it.

Seemed the bar was not exactly centered on the 20 rep set. Chaos training accidentally. Assistance was easier today. Hope my glutes aren’t too scorched. InNOut for post workout and my usual eggs, meat, spinach and rice for 2nd post workout.

Top set

Widowmaker

Now that didn't look so tough. You walked just fine after the set.

Regarding mobility I would just take the 225 you had there and sit in the hole with it, as deep as you can, and add a bit of prying in there. 2*20-30s before squats and 1*60s after.

Now that didn't look so tough. You walked just fine after the set.

Regarding mobility I would just take the 225 you had there and sit in the hole with it, as deep as you can, and add a bit of prying in there. 2*20-30s before squats and 1*60s after.
Ha. They feel fine while you’re at ‘em but the following day…woooOOOOOH BUddy!

A little prying may go a long way. Deads today abs my glutes/hamstrings are still sore. We’re gonna need an extensive warmup…or a prayer.

Day 3 REST

Day 4
Deadlift (Conventional on 2 mats)
385 x 2
315 x 5 x 5 sets

Dips, BSS, Curls

Well, time to reset the TM for deads. Probably shouldn’t have used my Sumo stance from the floor. We’ll just count these weeks as a ramp up to find a TM

Dropping back will be a blessing and spare me for squats. I’ll stick with the deficit and conventional stance.

I gripped the bar unevenly unfortunately and didn’t realize until after the start.
The two reps were grinders so I just cut it. Maybe had another but that’s not important rn. It’ll make for a fine starting point to improve on.

My slow point used to be off the floor but I have found it has moved to the typical sticking point at midshin to knees. Hamstring work? Speed work? Mobility work?

Yes.

Top set.

BO sets

Last edited:
Day 5

Press
105 x 5, 115 x 5, 125 x 5
105 x 5 x 10 sets

Pullups 5 x 13 sets, sled

Press is feeling solid. Lower body not as sore today. Maybe body is finally acclimating to the volume. Pullups done between sets.

Really spent a good deal prepping my overhead mobility and core. Previously having a bad habit of poor bracing in the press I told myself if I ever miss a press again, it’ll be because of my upper body and not from doughboy core syndrome.

Last edited:
Day 5

Press
105 x 5, 115 x 5, 125 x 5
105 x 5 x 10 sets

Pullups 5 x 13 sets, sled

Press is feeling solid. Lower body as slow today. Maybe body is finally acclimating to the volume. Pullups done between sets.

Really spent a good deal prepping my overhead mobility and core. Previously having a bad habit of poor bracing in the press I told myself if I ever miss a press again, it’ll be because of my upper body and not from doughboy core syndrome.

13 sets of Press & Pullups=WOW

Day 6/7 REST

Week 4….
DAY 1
Squat-135, 205,235
255 x 10, 205 x 20

*Push-ups (on med ball), face pulls, Dbell RDLS

Forewent mobility before squats after a day at the office. Probably erroneous, especially for day 1, but I felt warm enough. I do not like doing fifty things before doing my heavy barbell lift. It seems to make me unmotivated. This, I try to intertwine my mobility in with the warmup sets of the lift by prying a la advice of @Antti

Prying, pausing, bottom range only reps…examples of specialized variety.

I still have a slow descent, but it feels much slower than it looks. My legs are long and I’m apt to lose balance easily. I feel more controlled moving with zooooom rather than Zip!

Essentially, this is the start of a new buildup to a heavier set of 10 w/ 285 on week 6. This, I approach my top set as if it is still a warmup set and not all outer. This, I feel, will be helpful with mental aspect abs certainly on recovery. Getting “worked up” is more tiring then the set for me. I try to save it all for the lift. That being said, after the set of twenty, I take at least ten minutes before I go on to assistance work.

The assistance work mindset is far less intense than the main lift. In essence, I’m working muscles responsible for a specific movement pattern I’m weak in.

The face pulls/push-ups train stability around the shoulder joint and core. I say core because the abs/glutes are to remain tensed so the body is in ‘plank.’ This, the RP cage, lower back are tempted to compensate. A key for me is too keep my shoulders depressed(as is often preferable during a lift). My traps tend to get tight and head forward.

The RDL’s work the hamstring flexibility, done slowly on the eccentric (forcing an arch into the back/pulling down into hips) and rebounded upwards. I feel the hamstrings are best trained this way for me.

Day 2

Bench Press
180 lbs x 5 x 5

Inc Dbell Press
35 x 15,45 x 15, 55 x 20
Cable Rows

Took a narrower grip on bench press. Varying the grip every session seems worthwhile, working back to my stronger grip on the heaviest week.

Oh well, it has happened…

No not CoVid. I’ve injured my back, as I do every year or so.

The injury does not look obvious in the lift but on that 3rd rep, I just felt it and knew…the next few days/weeks will be hellfire.

Reasons this happened:
-took one less rest day than normal
-inadequate warmup (early, cold morning)
-unfocused technique

It was actually a much lower weight than the previous weights, the lightest of the cycle. Funny, huh? I trained the deadlift one day earlier than normal because my work schedule was going to be different and I didn’t think much of it, negotiating that it being a light week, the consequences would be nary.

As of now, bending over, sitting or any type of flexion cause seizing pain. Be it that it isn’t my first rodeo, the rehab process has commenced immediately.

I find these helpful.

-walking (or being constantly upright and not sitting)
-rolling out the glutes and stretches such as squats (as deep as I can anyways) and hinges.

I suppose, to shine an optimistic light on a dreaded situation, my body is forcing me to adapt stronger postures and abhorring any ‘slumping’.

I find abdominal breathing, bracing a must to rise from a chair, almost as if I’m tending up for a max lift. Never knew I could grease the groove without weights.

On a positive note, I discovered I could descend to the floor after a very long ‘loosening process’.

When I can return to lifting/work? Time will tell. As of now, we’re going easy.

It was actually a much lower weight than the previous weights, the lightest of the cycle. Funny, huh?
It's uncanny, every real back injury I've ever has not been due to heavy weights. It's always some mundane weight, and something just goes wrong.

I find these helpful.

-walking (or being constantly upright and not sitting)
-rolling out the glutes and stretches such as squats (as deep as I can anyways) and hinges.
Deep squats is definitely my go-to. Grab a door handle to take some of the weight off, and just camp out at the bottom, waiting for it the loosen up. Not saying it makes the recovery time any less, but makes me feel better.

Hang in there, what doesn't kill us make us stronger... or, at least hopefully smarter?

It's uncanny, every real back injury I've ever has not been due to heavy weights. It's always some mundane weight, and something just goes wrong.

Deep squats is definitely my go-to. Grab a door handle to take some of the weight off, and just camp out at the bottom, waiting for it the loosen up. Not saying it makes the recovery time any less, but makes me feel better.

Hang in there, what doesn't kill us make us stronger... or, at least hopefully smarter?
You’ve got that right, Hulkster.

I’ve been able to work on squatting, weightless, or goblet of course. I’ve actually found it impossible to get out of chair without a strong IAP and foot balance. Bodyweight training is back (pun intended). And it’s funny how having an injured back makes perfect technique essential to do any task. Hip hinging to the reach a sock or feed the cat are non negotiable now.

Smarter is stronger and stronger is smarter, yes?

Better but not yet great. I think I’ve pushed too hard for too long without many….breaks.

I feel rn, an interim from iron is necessary with a gradual re-entry. I haven’t lifted, or felt any desire. I’m due to get thoroughly checked this week as nagging aches are lingering and my energy and motivation have plummeted.

Six months of 40 hours of labor and difficult hours and heavy lifting on top of it with no deloads or days off has caught up to me.

On top of this, I’ve been concerned. Not only of my future, being out of work and feeling suddenly aged, but of this conflict of the East where many people close to me are in proximity.

Back
Top Bottom