all posts post new thread

5/3/1 - Back from the Dead(lift)

Better but not yet great. I think I’ve pushed too hard for too long without many….breaks.

I feel rn, an interim from iron is necessary with a gradual re-entry. I haven’t lifted, or felt any desire. I’m due to get thoroughly checked this week as nagging aches are lingering and my energy and motivation have plummeted.

Six months of 40 hours of labor and difficult hours and heavy lifting on top of it with no deloads or days off has caught up to me.

On top of this, I’ve been concerned. Not only of my future, being out of work and feeling suddenly aged, but of this conflict of the East where many people close to me are in proximity.

Good to hear that you're better.

Take a good break. You'll know when the time is right to come back.

Good idea to get a thorough check-up.

I don't mean to be west/Eurocentric but I feel like the war in Ukraine should worry us all. Of course, it's the worst for those personally involved. It's such an unbelievable awful situation altogether.

Hope you get work and feel better soon!

Good to hear that you're better.

Take a good break. You'll know when the time is right to come back.

Good idea to get a thorough check-up.

I don't mean to be west/Eurocentric but I feel like the war in Ukraine should worry us all. Of course, it's the worst for those personally involved. It's such an unbelievable awful situation altogether.

Hope you get work and feel better soon!
Thanks @Antti!

I know, being in California, far from the disastrous effects (at least currently), my worries are minuscule compared to those in the midst of it all. But I fear for my friends overseas, near by, Poland being the closest, and who knows how far this will escalate.

Perhaps I’ve had too much time to think. Thinking of my return back to the bar, the best method to proceed with. Trying to take from this situation what I’m meant to. My gym will be holding a meet in July, perfect timing for my scheduled return to Europe in August.

It is my objective to do a meet before returning. Numbers are in mind. A plan is needed.

Been a while, as the trend has gone for me lately….

But of a rough month, in several regards. Injury, time off work, depression, isolation, a bombardment of incessant, anxious thoughts…

Finally returned to work, which was a step forward. In my absence, I’ve shared nary a detail of my struggles with anyone. Maybe because I struggled to grasp them myself.

Never did I know being completely inactive in body, yet unsound in mind, could be so exhausting.

The first day post injury, getting out of bed was a task, per usual, as I regularly do so before 3 am. However, it was 9 am, February 17th and the task was amplified…tenfold.

The Incident
“Treat all weights as heavy” - Lifting Proverb

Overcoming a seemingly impossibly heavy load is a drug, one that is addictive and easy to overdose on.

I’d performed conventional deadlifts, elevated on 2 rubber mats, for fives once a week. Starting at 325 (estimated 70% 1RM which I hadn’t actually tested recebrly, oh, and in a sumo, regular height style).

I added 20 lbs each week, because I prefer short cycles, and worked up to 365, a weight that was more then enough to end the first cycle on. If Dio were to sing a song about my 5th rep, it would’ve been called “Holy Grinder”.

But did do it????

Of course not.

The next week, I drudged through a double at 385, despite my mind/body/sprit’s seemingly complete lack of desire to even bend over to reach the bar. My hamstrings were asking me, “y tho?” every warmup set.
So I decided to de load the next week.

“I see the LIGHT” Day

Of course, I never get really amped to drive 30 minutes out of way to the often quiet/nearly empty gym on my day off to perform a light day. There’s no energy, no excitement of hitting a pr. It’s almost like a chore, or a bore…that I abhor. Light days easily become “well, 85 % for an AMRAP sounds doable.”

But I resisted the urge this time!!!! Instead I did the complete opposite. The bare minimum (or is it bear? I’m not quite sure anymore).

No warmup! No mobility work! Load the bar and let’s go! One minute thirty rest! Heck, just load the bar, that’s enough rest!

1st rep at 315
“Wow it’s cold in here!”

2nd rep at 315
“Did you feel that?”

3rd rep
“Drops back to earth the moments it’s raised”

My back is visited by the God of Hellfire! Bending over won’t work, sitting is a distant memory. Anything below waist level is New Zealand to me. Calls work immediately. Takes 20 minutes to get to floor, lies on floor, can’t get up. 30 minutes to rerack the weight. Hindu squats to get to plates, spine must stay vertical and flat at all time..OR ELSE (God of Hellfire!).

I knew…things were going to be rough now.

To be continued…

Week 1

Day 1
Bench- 165 x 8 x 3 sets
Squat- 135 x 20 x 1 set
Inc DB Row 35,40,45 x 12
Curls-12 x 2 sets

Day 2
Inc Press - 135 x 18,13,10 (41 reps)
Squats - 185 x 20 x 1 set
Chins - 15,12,10,8,5 (50)
Dips - x 10, + 25 lbs. x 10 x 4 sets

@Philippe Geoffrion have you recovered from your injury?

Good looking squat sets there!
Hello @Antti

My back feels much better now, yes. However, I’ve been dealing with chronic elbow pain in both elbows. It is most prevalent upon waking and after playing guitar. Not certain of the cause or reason. Oddly, during training it seems unbothered for the most part.

I’ve been doing “hypertrophy” training, in this case, higher reps in effort to ease up my joint stress. I’m gaining muscle, yet I definitely feel a little bored, uncoordinated and far from heavy weights. Maybe it’s what I need in my aging career.

How are you old friend?

Hello @Antti

My back feels much better now, yes. However, I’ve been dealing with chronic elbow pain in both elbows. It is most prevalent upon waking and after playing guitar. Not certain of the cause or reason. Oddly, during training it seems unbothered for the most part.

I’ve been doing “hypertrophy” training, in this case, higher reps in effort to ease up my joint stress. I’m gaining muscle, yet I definitely feel a little bored, uncoordinated and far from heavy weights. Maybe it’s what I need in my aging career.

How are you old friend?

Good to hear your back is better. But elbows now? Like they say, an athlete never sees a healthy day! Still, good that it doesn't flare up during training. Maybe it doesn't come from training?

A block of hypertrophy or different training is necessary every once in a while. It sounds like your mind is already primed for real strength training, I'm sure your body will be soon as well.

Thanks for asking about me. I'm doing better and better. My lower body seems to finally tolerate some powerlifting specific training. Deadlifts feel surprisingly good. Squats aren't there yet but it should be a matter of time only. I'm planning on a meet in early summer, just to dip in my toes, and then really go at it late this year. I'll have to take the scenic route. I feel fine grinding partials and most accessories but I'm wary on full ROM on competition lifts

Good to hear your back is better. But elbows now? Like they say, an athlete never sees a healthy day! Still, good that it doesn't flare up during training. Maybe it doesn't come from training?

A block of hypertrophy or different training is necessary every once in a while. It sounds like your mind is already primed for real strength training, I'm sure your body will be soon as well.

Thanks for asking about me. I'm doing better and better. My lower body seems to finally tolerate some powerlifting specific training. Deadlifts feel surprisingly good. Squats aren't there yet but it should be a matter of time only. I'm planning on a meet in early summer, just to dip in my toes, and then really go at it late this year. I'll have to take the scenic route. I feel fine grinding partials and most accessories but I'm wary on full ROM on competition lifts
Glad to hear of your improvements.
Maybe grinding through shorter ROM and light work through the full ROM is a path worth considering?

I too am considering a meet.

I hope to hear more good news of your training soon.

Glad to hear of your improvements.
Maybe grinding through shorter ROM and light work through the full ROM is a path worth considering?

I too am considering a meet.

I hope to hear more good news of your training soon.

Grinding through shorter ROM and light work through the full ROM is the plan. I've started to see more value in shorter ROM work. It both makes it possible to go heavy, and can teach us valuable lessons on form.

A meet on schedule is a good thing. Go for it.

I'm always ready to talk about training. I'm just not logging it here anymore.

I did it. Signed up for a meet on July 23rd at my gym. 17 weeks out. Running 5/3/1

Week 1

Day 1

Squat- 255 x 13, 205 x 20
BW Rows - 15 x 3 sets
Push-ups (feet up) - 20,20,15
RDL - 2 x 24 KB - 20,20,15

Squat position is mid bar. Still feel I lean to my right side. Some core work and unilateral work may be a good idea.

Starting with an easy TM. 300 for the squat. I have four cycles and a complete week of rest before the meet.

BW rows done with rings around the bar. Feel this is better with my odd wrist/elbow issue. No exercises done today aggravate it, as of now. Considering OLY shoes but also, trying to save money for Europe in August.

Great to hear you signed up for the meet.

Are you planning on running 5/3/1 for the whole prep?

17 weeks is a good time. There's plenty of time to train, but the meet is always on the horizon.

Great to hear you signed up for the meet.

Are you planning on running 5/3/1 for the whole prep?

17 weeks is a good time. There's plenty of time to train, but the meet is always on the horizon.
Yes. 5/3/1 all the way

My cardinal sin has always been workout ADD, lack of focus. With a meet now, there’s only one goal…

I feel 5/3/1 is simple. I like simple progressions, yet always get distracted with variety because it’s more fun and interesting. This 5/3/1 template offers a nice variety, but only in assistance work!

I think I’ll train conventional deads the first two cycles, then switch to sumo. Other than that, the main lifts will be the bread and butter.

This is the hardgainer template, which uses 5 x 5 on bench, a lighter 5 x 5 on deads after a top set and 20 rep squats after the top squat set. These will probably be released after the first two cycles as well.

While the basic program outline is there, it allows me to auto regulate a bit on the PR sets, as everyday won’t be that day.

I considered using a Westside template, a dedication to Louie, but found this is better for me when there’s no meet in sight as peaking with Westside is quite foreign to me and the intricacies of the system seem to vast without coaching.

Week 1 (17 weeks out)

Day 2
Bench Press - 175 x 5 x 5
Single Arm OH Press - 20 kgs x 15,12,10
Single Arm Row - 20 kgs x 20,20,15
Swing - 24 kgs x 20,15,15

Long pauses on bench and slow descents. The weight feels heavier with high tension. Eased up on the last set. What a world of difference.

Band rows, Plyo press ups, single arm BU presses and lay stretches between sets.

Subbed swings for the sled pushes. Finding my glutes again quickly. Weight for the OH presses was moderate but very light for the rows. Not a bad start.

Yes. 5/3/1 all the way

My cardinal sin has always been workout ADD, lack of focus. With a meet now, there’s only one goal…

I feel 5/3/1 is simple. I like simple progressions, yet always get distracted with variety because it’s more fun and interesting. This 5/3/1 template offers a nice variety, but only in assistance work!

I think I’ll train conventional deads the first two cycles, then switch to sumo. Other than that, the main lifts will be the bread and butter.

This is the hardgainer template, which uses 5 x 5 on bench, a lighter 5 x 5 on deads after a top set and 20 rep squats after the top squat set. These will probably be released after the first two cycles as well.

While the basic program outline is there, it allows me to auto regulate a bit on the PR sets, as everyday won’t be that day.

I considered using a Westside template, a dedication to Louie, but found this is better for me when there’s no meet in sight as peaking with Westside is quite foreign to me and the intricacies of the system seem to vast without coaching.

That's a good plan.

The desire for variety is interesting. Some people clearly have it, some don't. Some look down on it but I don't think so. Better to play to our strengths. Some can't handle the variety. If you're up to it, I think it's for the better.

Having variety in the accessories and honing the main lifts first while coming up to a meet is a great idea and a good compromise of sorts. Well chosen.

What do you mean by being released after the first two cycles?

I've never really looked into the Westside tapering. If I remember right it seemed odd when I looked at it. But the most important thing is you go to the meet fresh enough. Do your biggest lifts on the platform.

How high in load/intensity have you planned your 5/3/1 progression to go in each cycle?

How's your bodyweight at the moment and which weight class will you compete in?

That's a good plan.

The desire for variety is interesting. Some people clearly have it, some don't. Some look down on it but I don't think so. Better to play to our strengths. Some can't handle the variety. If you're up to it, I think it's for the better.

Having variety in the accessories and honing the main lifts first while coming up to a meet is a great idea and a good compromise of sorts. Well chosen.

What do you mean by being released after the first two cycles?

I've never really looked into the Westside tapering. If I remember right it seemed odd when I looked at it. But the most important thing is you go to the meet fresh enough. Do your biggest lifts on the platform.

How high in load/intensity have you planned your 5/3/1 progression to go in each cycle?

How's your bodyweight at the moment and which weight class will you compete in?
Yes, I feel it’s a solid plan. Simple progression, moderate weights for the most part.

When I say dropped, I was only referring to the widowmaker set of squats (20 reps).

Yes. Westside style programming has always intrigued me. The problem is these lifters were heavily monitored by Louie, trained in a group, constantly making adjustments on the fly with guidance. It is a good offseason approach for me to use the template and do other lifts.

I’ve set modest TM since I have a few months. 300 for squat, 200 for bench, 345 for the deadlift. The last cycle, the volume will drop and intensity is raised for peaking. This means I will hit a heavy 5,3,1 for each lift to get a feel for my openers, practicing the lift cues

I’m at 175 lbs right now which is more than I usually sit at. I’ll compete in the 181 lbs class

Back
Top Bottom