all posts post new thread

5/3/1 - Back from the Dead(lift)

Week 1

Day 3
Deadlifts-295 x 5, 225 x 5 x 5
Dips - 15,20,25,20
BSS- 20,15,15

Pulls done conventional. Main set with rogue bar and dead stop, lighter sets with stiff bar, touch and go on platform emphasizing leg drive.

Dips are pretty easy between sets. Some single leg work and not much ambition for more accessory work afterwards.

How much do you vary accessory volume? Based on what? How do you track their progression or do you see it as necessary?

Regarding the press, I see it an original part of 5/3/1, but do you see it drive your bench up? Did you consider any alternatives?

I like to press as much as anyone but sometimes I wonder how much it carries over to bench. I'm sure that the bench carries over to the press.

How much do you vary accessory volume? Based on what? How do you track their progression or do you see it as necessary?

Regarding the press, I see it an original part of 5/3/1, but do you see it drive your bench up? Did you consider any alternatives?

I like to press as much as anyone but sometimes I wonder how much it carries over to bench. I'm sure that the bench carries over to the press.
My accessory work is actually similar to my top set work. For this template, it varies in volume in the range of 50-100 reps. The first two sets are basically warmup/ prep sets for a third, RM set.

I think the benefits of the press to the bench are not as obvious as just strengthening the shoulders in my case. The upper back stability and bracing component I find very useful. Holding a weight overhead is important for the overall shoulder health and develops the full body stability component from head to toe that is also key in a bench press. Plus, a bigger “yoke” never hurt anyone’s bench.

When it comes to covering the bench, a lot of my accessory work with the push-ups, dips, incline presses work the chest muscles quite a bit throughout the week. The hard press work also doesn’t seem to subtract from my next bench press workout as much as say an incline press, board press, floor press, etc. Thus, I can approach each bench workout fresh and focused on the main lift.

Week 2 (16 weeks out)

Squat - 270 lbs. x 12, 220 lbs. x 20
BW Rows- 20,15,15
Push-ups - 20,20,20
RDL - 2 x 20 lbs. KB x 25,25

Today is definitely the toughest day of my training week. 275 x 10 was my previous best squat PR so today’s was an advance. Depth could be a little…deeper. Took a while of rest before my 20 rep set..and a while after that to do my accessories.

Squatted barefoot because I need some kind of shoe for squatting. Considering bringing the belt back in. Have to dedicate some kind of time for squat mobility. Also, the high bar stance takes some adjusting. Notice my bilateral oddities are more prevalent during the 20 rep set.

A contrast between this style of squatting once a week vs high frequency is that my squat doesn’t feel as on point until the top set. But all the focus is in that set and the mental prep/ visualization has definitely been key.

It’s funny. My upper back seems to fatigue quite a bit during the 20 rep set. It is more noticeable than any other muscle group. A clue?

Week 2

Day 2
Bench Press - 185 lbs x 5 x 5 sets
One Arm OH Press - 35, 44, 55 lbs x 10
Single Arm Row - 44 x 10, 55 x 10, 63 x 25

Had to rush the session so I missed swings and stretching. Bench feel pretty good. Narrow grip, for me, and paused. Will widen to comp grip only for third week and train the narrow grip most of the time.

Band work, Plyo push-ups, lay stretch, and BU presses between warmup sets, then just band work between working sets.

Starting to look a little more built.

Week 2

Day 3
Deadlift - 155, 242, 275, 310 lbs x 5
275 x 5 x 5
Dips - BW, 25, 45 lbs x 10 x 3 sets
BSS, Single Arm Snatches

Worked up to 242 in conventional then feared for my back and switched to sumo which felt awkward but my hamstrings were feeling that tightness I felt right before my injury. The conventional felt fine for the 5 x 5 sets and sumo felt very awkward.

I need a more thorough warmup for deadlift day. Need to try to balance my hips and core. The fact I go to the gym first thing in the morning on this day may not be ideal. I’m guessing with my warmup. No doubt now I feel stronger in conventional but I also felt more vulnerable.

Reviewing my setup I find pulling my hips way low helps me get into position better.

Top set

Backdown

Week 2 Day 4

Press - 120 x 5, 100 x 5 x 10 sets
Pullups - 5 x 14 sets, 15r (last set)
Inc Dumbell 30,40,50 x 20r
Face pulls- 100 reps

I’ve started doing McGill’s Big 3. Honestly…afterwards I feel a lot better. I feel the lack of core training has been really a weak link. I believe during my BW only time, this was a huge benefit.

Press feels fine. Varied grip on chins every set. For some reason, I feel the chest gets greater work when both sides work simultaneously. I feel the muscle work better this way.

Week 3
Day 4

Deadlifts (Sumo)
- 125 kgs x 5, 140 x 3, 150 x 5

Conventional Deads - 125 kgs x 5 x 5
Dips, BSS, incline Curl

Struggled with Sumo today. The double overhand grip is a problem, don’t wanna learn hook grip. Caught my pant leg in my left palm resetting my grip on the third rep of the top set.

This lift has been a real mental struggle for me, probably because it is the lift that last injured me. It is also my natural lift and the fact it is feeling unnatural is a little discouraging.

It didn’t really click until my last set of touch and goes, which was my most solid set. I felt I had a moment of clarity approaching the lift. I know it will come along. I just want to continue listening to my body to guide me.

The heavy squat workout no doubt added a little fatigue. Minor adjustments to the next cycle but overall, I’ve felt these first three weeks have taught me quite a few things.

Modification to next cycle
-readjust days of the split to mon/we’d/fri/sat
-stick to my gut in deadlifts and find a proper warmup sequence for me.
-be more deliberate with mobility, accessory work.
-reincorporate the belt for better recovery of low back.

Final press day tomorrow.

Week 4 Deload

Bench Press - 95 lbs. x 5,115 x 5,135 x 5
Inc Dumbbell Press - 40 lbs x 25,30
Inc Row - 40 lbs. x 25,25

When I really slow the bench reps down, I feel it a lot in my upper back. I’m remarkable at making light weights feel heavy.

More dumbbell work for “chest” next cycle.

Cycle 2
Week 1 (Thirteen Weeks out)

Day 1
Squat - 205 lbs x 5, 235 x 5, 265 x 12, 205 x 20

Ring Rows, Push-ups, Swings

Squats on first day from Deload rusty but that’s okay. Mentally, I’m preparing for the third week, with each successive weeks being “buildups”.

The reps looked easier than they felt. Did too many “prying” squats in the warmup that I went too deep on a few reps.

I know the proclamation of “squatting deep” is EnVogue, but my aim is to squat jusssst deep enough to be a legal squat. I can’t divebomb. A gathering tension and controlled descent are unquestionably more suitable for me. I also think, it’ll spare me in the long run…

After hugging the floor for the length of a lunch break following squats, assistance. I’d rather discuss the assistance than type out the exact reps since it’s not essential I PR in these lifts, but rather they improve the quality I use them for.

Ring rows are easy on the wrists. My upper back always needs work. I did a standard progression (for me) which is to complete 50 reps in three sets. There’s my baseline.

For push-ups, simple - I want pecs. My bench ALWAYS improves when my upper body gets noticeably bigger. The pecs are vital for the bench (in my bench anyways). The confidence of having a chest seems to aid me and stability seems to follow along. I did one set of 20 BW, 20 more reps with a 25 lbs plate on my back and one final set of 17 with the 45. I really try to squeeze my pecs. The plate can be finicky. It shifts position during the reps. Maybe tie a band around myself.

Swings are added simply to build my backside and grip and core and because they’re awesome and this is SF. McGill’s Big 3, stretches and I finally get to leave the sweltering, un-air conditioned gym, on a day where suddenly April in Sacramento feels like July in Las Vegas.

The reps looked easier than they felt. Did too many “prying” squats in the warmup that I went too deep on a few reps.

I know the proclamation of “squatting deep” is EnVogue, but my aim is to squat jusssst deep enough to be a legal squat. I can’t divebomb. A gathering tension and controlled descent are unquestionably more suitable for me. I also think, it’ll spare me in the long run…
There's the old Pavel-ism "Not everybody needs to squat heavy, but everybody needs to squat" - I think we should append "deep" to the end of that quote. Everybody ought to squat deep, some of us add squatting heavy to the mix (do both, but separately)... and the even more rare few squat heavy and deep at the same time.

Not me... I squat heavy to try to be able to jump higher. At no point in my life have I started a jump from the bottom of a deep squat... not yet, anyway...

There's the old Pavel-ism "Not everybody needs to squat heavy, but everybody needs to squat" - I think we should append "deep" to the end of that quote. Everybody ought to squat deep, some of us add squatting heavy to the mix (do both, but separately)... and the even more rare few squat heavy and deep at the same time.

Not me... I squat heavy to try to be able to jump higher. At no point in my life have I started a jump from the bottom of a deep squat... not yet, anyway...
Yes, I suppose it depends on your goal. Deep and heavy is ideal for an Olympic lifter, as the deeper they can squat, the less distance the bar need be cleaned/snatched/jerked.

Powerlifting squats should be heavier and deep enough. Then there are the exceptional squatters who squat better going full depth, bouncing their hamstrings off the calves like a trampoline and springing upwards. My leverages do not favor this style.

Front loaded squats allow me to squat deeper: Front squats/goblet squats, zerchers but they are currently out of the mix.

Back
Top Bottom