all posts post new thread

5/3/1 - Back from the Dead(lift)

Cycle 2
Week 1 (Thirteen weeks out)

Day 2
Bench Press - 135 lbs x 5, 160 x 5,180 lbs. 5 x 5 sets

TBar Rows,Incline Dbell Press, Stair Climber

Benched with speed in mind. More of throwing rather than grinding. It makes me feel a bit more in my element to bench aggressively. A long pause is employed on the final rep to really cement that bottom position.

I’ve begun my workouts with 5 minutes on the treadmill, just walking. It feels good after a half hour drive to the gym. I feel these long drives tighten and cramp me up whereas the walking loosens me, gets my blood flowing.

T Bar Rows and incline were three ascending sets of twenty each, ending with two 45s on the rows, and 55 lbs on the dumbbell presses. Did the stairs for five minutes. Yesterday’s squats scorched my lower body.

Cycle 2
Week 1(thirteen weeks out)

Deadlifts - 135 lbs x 5, 245 x 5, 280 x 5,
315 x 5
245 x 5 x 5 sets

Dips, BSS, Curls

Couldn’t do my walk warmup because treadmills were occupied. Still feel apprehension with deadlifts. Feeling weary as I didn’t have my normal rest but work conflicts force my hand.

Switched underhand grips during TnG sets. The tightness in my back is predominantly on my right side. Noticeable during BSS that my right quad gets way more fatigued than my left. Dips done with sets of ten starting with BW, then 25 lbs, then 45 for three sets. Curls for my achy elbows, which refuse to heal. Overall, a bit wiped, unmotivated. I seem to be lacking that drive I was once filled with. Contemplating moving on…

Cycle 2

Week 4(Thirteen weeks out)

Day 4
Press - 120 lbs. x 5, 100 lbs. x 5 x 10 sets
OAS, Dumbbell Presses, Kroc Rows

Presses were smooth. Weird not cleaning the bar, but I’ve avoided cleans since my biceps/elbows flared up. Sometimes the un rack portion feels more centered than other times. Getting the head in good position is an aspect I need to focus on. “Spreading the bar” seems to help find the best backsupport posture.

Did OAS, 5R/5L alternating hands each swing in between sets of presses. Used the 32 kg and by the end, my grip was scorched before the rows, which were lighter.

Dumbbell presses should be done lighter. It takes me many reps before my body finds the pattern.

Cycle 2
Week 2 (12 Weeks out)

Day 1
Squats - 225 lbs x 3, 255 x 3,
280 x 11, 225 x 20
Ring Rows, Pushups

Early morning session before work so no time for swings. Squats felt solid but I should do more warmup for early morning workouts. I hit the top set with reps to spare. This gives me confidence for next week’s PR set goal of 295 lbs for ten.

Took it easy on assistance. Kept the push-ups unweighted and did sets of 20 and 50 total for the rows.

Cycle 2
Week 2(12 weeks out)

Day 2
Bench Press - 190 lbs. x 5 x 5 sets
Inc Rows, DB Press, Swings

Bench feeling strong, fast and smooth. Back a little tight from squats. Thorough warmup of swings, ab, glute work and HKR between bench sets to loosen up back. Body felt nice and primed during bench reps, which were all paused including a long pause for the last two. Funny, the long pause almost seems like the strongest/easiest rep. Not sure if could even do a touch n go all that well anymore. Lighter on assistance work.

Cycle 2
Week 2 (12 weeks out)

Day 3
Hang Cleans x 95 lbs x 5,115 x 5,135 x 5
Deadlift - 120 kgs x 3, 135 x 3, 150 x 5
120 kgs x 5 x 5 sets

Dips, Belt Squats, CableHigh Pulls

Thorogh warmup before deadlifts. Threw cleans in there along with swings, goblet squats, tuck lever. Pull is feeling good. Looking at the video, I notice my left knee extends before my right. My right lumbar gets cranky afterwards. I wonder why. Trying to balance the assymetries as best I can but not really sure where the weakness lies. Most likely a bottleneck effect.

Easy, again, on dips. Learning my body moves better the faster I go with movements. Still, the movements that force me to go slowly like single leg RDL’s may be of use.

Cycle 2
Week 2 (12 Weeks out)

Day 4
Press - 105 x 5, 115 x 3, 125 x 5
105 x 5 x 10 sets

Pullups, T-Rows,Dbell Press, OAS

Killer volume today. Did 80 total Pullups and 50 with 25 lbs. 100 total OAS w/ 35 lbs and higher reps with the rows and Dbell presses. InNOut post workout then couch potato until 4 am shift tomorrow.

Cycle 2
Week 3 (11 weeks out)

Day 2
Bench Press - 200 lbs x 5 x 5

Inc Rows, DB Press, Swings, Face Pulls

Bench feeling good. While it’s in my nature to be explosive, as the weight climbs it’s essential I don’t lose tightness. Also, it’s beneficially mentally to remember heavier weights won’t move as quickly and the ability to grind will be crucial. Lowering a touch more slowly helps position the weight better and isn’t as shocking to my body to reverse it. Although it takes more energy, it allows control. I’m finding it’s not the drive off the chest that needs the most acceleration but a little bit afterwards…right around the sticking point. 2 points to remember…

1) Move the bar as quickly as possible while staying as controlled as possible.
2) Use the nitro boost when it counts.

Cycle 2
Week 3 (11 weeks out)

Day 3
Deadlifts - 285 lbs x 5, 315 x 3, 345 x 5
285 x 5 x 5

Dips, BSS, curls

Something clicked with deadlifts today. This set felt so smooth and solid. I think, but don’t wanna jinx it, my technique is finally coming around. Did 5 sets of 25 bw dips in between deadlift sets. BSS and curls were casually performed during conversation.

Cycle 2
Week 3 (11 weeks out)

Day 4
Press - 110 x 5, 120 x 3, 130 x 5
110 x 5 x 10 sets

Chins, DB Press, OAS

This session was murder. Glad the volume will be reduced next cycle. Still have to plan the two next peaking cycles. Common sense says volume down, intensity up. Will refresh on 5/3/1 Powerlifting for planning for the meet. Next week, Deload.

Side note:Hamstrings and glutes were only muscles sore from pulling…feel like I’m on to something.

Cycle 2
Week 4 (10 weeks out)

Deload

Day 1
Hang Snatch - 65 lbs. x 5, 85 x 3, 95 x 3
Squat - 135 x 5, 165 x 5, 195 x 5

Face Pulls, Swings - 50 reps

Took the attention to really hone in squat technique today. Notice a similar sensation in the bottom position of the squat abs deadlift where the hip flexors are pulled in and the thigh almost acts as a cushion to press the torso from. Will use this sensation to feel depth in the upcoming weeks.

Philippe, How huge is the volume of accessory lifts compared to main lift (not only in deload week)?
Usually the volume ranges from 50-100 reps, however, I count the warmup sets and usually do one top set of 15-20 reps.

During Deload week, volume of accessories is similar but the accessory lifts are much lighter exercises and the weight is moderate ie nowhere near failure but along the lines of a light pump.

Back
Top Bottom