all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Sandbag deadlift option

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

North Coast Miller

Level 9 Valued Member
Have been working more with my sandbags lately, looking into variations of some movements that accommodate the handling challenges of working with these things.

This is a DL/RDL variant I'm toying with, feels pretty good and allows me to get a good workout with less weight - 90lbs I am hitting 12-15 reps, so will be upping weight on these soon if I keep doing them, but still a pretty modest load for the lift. 120lbs will be a real challenge. These generate a tremendous amount of tension at the bottom for the amount of weight involved. Serious activation of glutes, erectors, abs.

I have also noticed that forcefully driving the back of my head against the bag makes my degenerative cervical disks feel better - I have to think about that one, but the effect is pretty consistent if short lived, feels great for a couple of hours.

They seem pretty safe, but anytime you're doing something you haven't seen demo'd before, it makes sense to get some opinions - I haven't seen these before with any type of resistance. The sandbags seem ideal.

Just saying that it's not a DL or RDL variation. It's a sandbag good morning.
I'd say stop a bit higher, because at the bottom your lumbar starts to round and it starts to look like a "failed" low-bar backsquat.

Hmm, most goodmorning versions I've seen don't get the hip as far back or with as much knee bend. I will mind the lower back, good pickup.

It doesn't look like rounding so much as straightening out a touch, but it definitely changes its arc.

@North Coast Miller, I think @Kettlebelephant gets this right. Your lumbar does move in a way that, with a heavier weight, would likely prevent you from standing back up again. That's just a prediction or a guess, but I do think it's right. And IMHO, it's fine to consider a GM as a hip hinge, as it looks like you do. If it's not that, then what would it be? If you just bend forward somehow without moving your hips backwards, and you have a weight on your back, you'll just fall over forwards.

Getting the sandbag on your back isn't something you talk about, but that's a fine exercise right there.

I think you've a good thing going, and I'd be sure to practice lifting it from both sides. You might consider alternating singles or low-rep sets by the side, e.g., raise from the right, do a double GM, lower on the right, rest, raise from the left, do a double GM, lower on the left, etc.

-S-

@North Coast Miller, I think @Kettlebelephant gets this right. Your lumbar does move in a way that, with a heavier weight, would likely prevent you from standing back up again. That's just a prediction or a guess, but I do think it's right. And IMHO, it's fine to consider a GM as a hip hinge, as it looks like you do. If it's not that, then what would it be? If you just bend forward somehow without moving your hips backwards, and you have a weight on your back, you'll just fall over forwards.

Getting the sandbag on your back isn't something you talk about, but that's a fine exercise right there.

I think you've a good thing going, and I'd be sure to practice lifting it from both sides. You might consider alternating singles or low-rep sets by the side, e.g., raise from the right, do a double GM, lower on the right, rest, raise from the left, do a double GM, lower on the left, etc.

-S-

Alternating within the set is a good idea. One of the things I like about these sandbags is just picking them up becomes part of any exercise.

Will keep an eye on the lower back.

Similar. I would do them with the sandbag (or small heavy bag or loaded pack) on the shoulder. From the standing position I would get the bag over to the opposite shoulder for the get down, then continue in a alternating fashion. Good stuff.

Time for me to start practicing the Steinborn SQ again ...

-S-

@ Oscar,
Thanks for checking it out! I'm always looking for alternative means of hitting the basics push/pull/hinge/squat, just to keep up my interest and add variety. I'll try just about anything to see if its effective as long as it appears/feels safe.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom