all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Sandbag filler question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Thank you, North Coast Miller. One thing that did occur to me though was if I got the large and at weight I needed to use it was just too floppy empty, I could crimp down one end of the bag w/ a couple wraps of paracord to reduce the overall volume until I was a bit stronger, or stuff with a few bath towels or similar. The medium though is pretty close in size to the Cerbus bag. I think what grabbed my attention earlier on their site was that the layout and presentation looked like a real "advertising campaign" while the RepFit site while not too funky, looked a bit closer to homemade, esp the photo of the filler bags. Think I'll sleep on it and then go...

Last edited:
Definitely will pick up an awl. Got plenty lighters hiding here and there w/ the emergency candles.
I"ve always sew patched gear using dental floss and an upholstery needle. Never even occurred to me to get an awl. I bet it will save a lot of finger tip blood ;)

Last edited:
Ordered Rep Fit medium. They would not substitute filler bag they said because far too busy with massive influx of orders to take time to break up a pkg and switch. So I just added a large filler bag for $10 to the order.

For my next trick, I will take my backpack to the little local lumbar yard and ruck home (only about a mile) with a 50 lb bag of play sand...

Impressed by the overall quality. Opening the velcro on the filler bags nearly cost me a fingernail rip. Overall burly.

Not used to rucking more than 20 lbs groceries max. The 50 lb bag of sand for ¾ mile was a revelation. I think I got religion the last few 100 yards :D

@GeoffreyLevens
When I read your initial 'getting to know my sandbag' plan I thought to myself "that's going to be one heck of an introduction"...good job!

Yeah, the velcro on those filler bags is absolutely serious. Fine dust will escape, but the seams will blow before that velcro gives out.

I had to take a day of training after the ruck and then the day after that I still went with mostly light mobility. Looking forward to going after another 50 lb bag of play sand. Well sort of looking forward...

First day today I did 10 get ups, changing shoulders while standing by shrugging bag around the back, stopping half way, and doing a good morning. I called that my "strength training" and the GMB Elements session right after "mobility".

Sandbag getups are a new favorite of mine. Got seriously intimidated by kb version after dropping 24 kg bell (my arm went limp from nerve impingement while transitioning from elbow to post position. Sandbag takes that whole business out of the equation and I'm sure I'll work up to more than 50 lbs before too long.

Sandbags do feel a lot heavier than kb's or dumbbells (barbells are a maybe depending on the movement).
I started very light first day just to get a feeling for the tool. Immediately found, doing getups that "roll to elbow" was a bit trickier. This morning was used all my 50lbs of sand and could just manage 3 on each side. When I stopped doing them w/ 24kg kb I could do 10 easily (5/side). I also did 5 good mornings at the top of each side so 30 of those. It felt like a pretty complete full body workout.

Guess I won't need to be rucking another 50lbs of sand anytime soon! LOL

Sandbags do feel a lot heavier than kb's or dumbbells (barbells are a maybe depending on the movement).
I started very light first day just to get a feeling for the tool. Immediately found, doing getups that "roll to elbow" was a bit trickier. This morning was used all my 50lbs of sand and could just manage 3 on each side. When I stopped doing them w/ 24kg kb I could do 10 easily (5/side). I also did 5 good mornings at the top of each side so 30 of those. It felt like a pretty complete full body workout.

Guess I won't need to be rucking another 50lbs of sand anytime soon! LOL

Sandbag getups are the king. If you thought KB TGUs would have prepared your abs and obliques for the initial roll, you quickly find out otherwise, they'll have you flopping around like a fish out of water sometimes.

Plenty of exercises they are close 1:1 analog, but a lot of lifts are so much tougher due mostly to a good part of the load always being further from your center of gravity than with other forms of resistance.

If you thought KB TGUs would have prepared your abs and obliques for the initial roll, you quickly find out otherwise, they'll have you flopping around like a fish out of water sometimes.
Yeah, a fish out of water pretty well describes my first attempt at 50 pounds. Very satisfying when I found the groove and started making them though. I find I have to "cheat" and put my arm on the floor at a higher angle which I guess makes for a small circle necessary to rotate body around in the roll. And still, noticing how much more than KB it requires fully coordinated, full body tension and integrated movement. I think I'm in love ?

Yeah, a fish out of water pretty well describes my first attempt at 50 pounds. Very satisfying when I found the groove and started making them though. I find I have to "cheat" and put my arm on the floor at a higher angle which I guess makes for a small circle necessary to rotate body around in the roll. And still, noticing how much more than KB it requires fully coordinated, full body tension and integrated movement. I think I'm in love ?

I love how Rob Shaul describes it:
"How you get up I really don't care, but I want you to lay all the way back down"

" If your squat numbers don’t improve after a cycle of sandbag getups, there is something very strange about your body and you should consider donating it to science."

I love how Rob Shaul describes it:
"How you get up I really don't care, but I want you to lay all the way back down"
Yes, down to "full stop" out flat. I start from the ground and get up, change sides, down/up, change sides, etc, and finish with down on the side I started up on. I've seen them down from standing, using a clean and wrestle to get the bag in position but I like rolling around on the floor trying to get underneath it in the proper alignment. A bit like sharing bed with a very large dog. To be truthful, I've had that experience with a fairly small can too!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom