all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Sauna as restoration

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Timo Keskitalo

Level 6 Valued Member
I don't know where this will go but how about sauna as restoration? A comfortable 70-90C temperature, not a cow's breath or any extremes? What do you think. How often, what is the physiology behind this, etc?

For me it's a mental thing, and helps in relaxation. I know I can't run afterwards, tried it once.

Russians maybe have the same kind of sauna? My friend lives in Sweden and said that even there it isn't what it's supposed to be.

There's a thread about the sauna already but it's been inactive for a while.

I think most, if not all, of the studies on the sauna I've seen mainly cite the health and longevity benefits. They don't really touch recovery and restoration.

The health benefits seem to be the greater the more you enjoy the sauna. Like one recent study compared people who suffered from stroke and found that at least up to four times a week, the people had better odds the more they went in the sauna, and that the differences were significant.

I think that the sauna helps in my recovery. I like to do it often. Sometimes daily. I don't know exactly how it helps but I figure the warmth and enhanced bloodflow loosens up stiff muscle etc. The relaxed atmosphere must be good also, it's almost like meditation at times. I can't cite anything but somehow I think it can also be likened to easy cardiovascular exercise.

I don't know where this will go but how about sauna as restoration? A comfortable 70-90C temperature, not a cow's breath or any extremes? What do you think. How often, what is the physiology behind this, etc?

There some interesting research on the benefits of heat with saunas and training that has been discussed on StrongFirst: Sauna

Heat Shock Proteins

Heat Shock Protein are elicited during stress such as extreme heat, cold, exercise, starvation (Intermittent Fasting), etc. They promote healing and trigger an anabolic muscle building.

Shocking Muscle Growth | Iron Man Magazine

HSPs transport proteins across cellular membranes, sensing that they have something to do with increased protein synthesis. ...that increased muscle protein synthesis is the very core of gains in muscle size and strength, ...

Heat treatment boosts anabolic effect of strength training

Heat treatment, or heat stress, has a mild anabolic effect.

...heat treatment activates the key anabolic regulator molecule Akt, which starts a cascade of reactions in the muscle cell.

Heat Training: Does it Boost Running Performance?

...A study performed by the University of Oregon which tested the ability of cyclists to perform a time trial after spending time training in hot conditions. Twelve high performance cyclists spent 10 days training in a 100-degree room for 100 minutes per day and experienced an amazing 7% boost in performance...

The Performance Benefits of Training with a Sauna Suit
https://www.acefitness.org/educatio...rmance-benefits-of-training-with-a-sauna-suit

The Bottom Line
The primary finding of this study is that short-term training in a sauna suit improves heat acclimation and endurance performance.

The athletes who took part in this study saw a 3% increase in their speed after only two weeks of training in the sauna suit. That may not seem like a huge improvement, but it can easily represent the difference between victory and defeat.

Cooking Cancer

One of cancer's vulnerable weaknesses is heat. Healthy cells are able to withstand heat, cancer cells cannot.

Cancer Centers of America using heat...

Local hyperthermia is used to heat a small area like a tumor. Very high temperatures are used to kill the cancer cells and destroy nearby blood vessels. In effect, this cooks the area that is exposed to the heat. Source: Hyperthermia to Treat Cancer

Neoprene Sauna Suits | Cutting Weight | Kutting Weight

This is what I'd term the poor man's sauna.

They have some interesting research on there site.

Kenny Croxdale

I am Russian and I have sauna at home. I don't care about biochemistry or physiology, it is just great. Proper sauna: heating element with rocks, splashing water and whipping yourself with a whisk. Finns say the sauna is set up properly if you are a little scared for your life when you step in...

Speaking of Poor mans sauna - there are some little tents you set up at home with infrared heat lamps that would be a poor mans true sauna. (Though there’s a debate whether infrared saunas have the same effect as natural heat saunas. There are lots of videos in YouTube showing these setups.

I’m not sure if the neoprene gets the body warm enough to see the therapeutic effects but I admit I don’t know. Probably makes the sweat obvious and prominent.

There are even some saunas that are just big enough to sit in with your head sticking out.

Rejuvenator Portable Sauna

I’ve also seen something that looks like an electric blanket/sleeping bag designed to be used as a sauna. No thanks.

(Searching for “sauna sack” will give some NSFW results.)

Thanks @kennycro@@aol.com for your insights as usual.

Oh yeah, sometimes when on multi-day hiking / hunting / fishing trips, you can also make a tent sauna. Just pile a huge set of rocks by water and put fire under it. Then at some point set a canvas over the pile.

I’m not sure if the neoprene gets the body warm enough to see the therapeutic effects but I admit I don’t know. Probably makes the sweat obvious and prominent.

Workout Environment

Your workout environment is the primary determinate of how warm or hot your body temperature get in the the Kutting Weight Neoprene Sauna Suits; working out in 0 C vs 33 C.

I have pretty much the whole Kutting Weight Neoprene ensemble: Vest, Sauna Long Sleeve Shirt, Sauna Tights, and Sauna Pants.

You're warm with all of them on, just sitting. In an an intensive work out, you're melting in sweat, especially if you are in a warm or hot environment.

The Kutting Weight Neoprene Sauna Suit gear isn't cheap but it is cheaper than purchasing a nice sauna.

I purchased the Kutting Weight Neoprene Sauna Suit gear piece by piece because I was not sure about the quality or how effective it would be. This is stuff and works.

Therapeutic Effect

I posted this information in my first post. Here it is again...

https://www.acefitness.org/educatio...rmance-benefits-of-training-with-a-sauna-suit

The Bottom Line

The primary finding of this study is that short-term training in a sauna suit improves heat acclimation and endurance performance.

The athletes who took part in this study saw a 3% increase in their speed after only two weeks of training in the sauna suit. That may not seem like a huge improvement, but it can easily represent the difference between victory and defeat.

The Car Sauna

I like to experiment and push the limits with training and things like this.

So, one afternoon it was 33 C. I got in my car with the Neoprene Sauna Suit for 20 minutes.

The car temperature was 51 C, measures with my Infrared Temperature Gun.

I cooked for 20 minutes.

Rejuvenator Portable Sauna

I've seen this. I question the quality or durability of it.

I’ve also seen something that looks like an electric blanket/sleeping bag designed to be used as a sauna.

Cancer Centers of America

Cancer Centers of America uses this for cooking cancer.

Traditional Heating Blanket for Sleeping

I have one. In the winter before training in the morning, I put on my workout gear, get back in bed and crank up the heating blanket.

Saunas, warm/hot showers, laying under a heating blanket, etc are...

Passive Warm Up Methods

Research has demonstrated you are more productive with training, thinking, etc when you body temperature is elevated.

That is the underlying findings of your body's...

Circadian Rhythm

Your body temperature minutely fluctuates throughout a 24 hour day.

You are most productive when your body temperature is at the top end.

You are less productive when you body temperature is at the bottom end.

That is one of the reason that thermogenic supplements like caffeine, green tea, ephedrine, etc work...they elevate your body temperature.

The East German's realized this...

High Octane Training 2 | T Nation

"The East Germans understood the role of additional heat when an extensive review of world record performances revealed how often the record setter was at the early stages of a cold and running a fever when the record was set. (Later into the cold, the adverse effects outweigh the benefits, of course.) This led the East Germans to experiment with de-natured viruses to generate a slight fever immediately prior to a world record attempt!"

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
Hello,

@kennycro@@aol.com
I am very interested in the suit you mentioned on kuttingweight.com, especially for the performance enhancing component. Indeed, I am not interested in the fat loss thing at all.

Nonetheless, I would have a few questions:
- I am a diver. So, would a "dry suit" (as we call them) also work ?
- I am used to train in underwear, close to the window, all year long. I felt this makes my body more adapted to any kind of weather. Basically, I almost never wear a coat for instance. If I use such a suit, let say on alternate day, would I still get some benefit - meaning "the best of both world" ?

I thank you very much,

Kind regards,

Pet'

I would have a few questions:
- I am a diver. So, would a "dry suit" (as we call them) also work ?

Dry Suit

Yea, that would work. That's basically what the Kutting Weight Neoprene Suit is.

Neoprene definitely cranks up the body heat. I dress in layers dependent how warm or cold it is.

For legs it's: Running Tights, Sauna Tights, and the Sauna Pants.

For upper body, it's: Polyester Short Sleeve Shirt, Sauna Vest Top, Long Sleeve Sauna Shirt and sometimes the Hooded Neoprene Jacket. Again, the layering depends on if it summer or winter.

I train mostly in my garage. During the summer it's warm, so less layering.

During the winter, the temperature can get down to freezing or below; so, more layering.

Prior to the Sauna Suit, I dress in layers of clothing: Running Tights, Long Johns, and Sweat Pants for the lower body. For the upper body: T-Shirt, Long John Shirt and Sweat Shirt.

I'd venture out into the garage for training sets and then come back into the house. With freezing or below temperatures, it's hard to keep warm for very long with anything on.

- I am used to train in underwear, close to the window, all year long. I felt this makes my body more adapted to any kind of weather.

Based on the research, exposure to heat and cold provides some health benefits.

Dr Rhonda Patrick discussed this in one of her podcast.

Hyperthermic Conditioning for Hypertrophy, Endurance, and Neurogenesis

Here is some research on how heat training improves performance, via the sauna.

Hyperthermic conditioning for exercise performance

If I use such a suit, let say on alternate day, would I still get some benefit - meaning "the best of both world" ?

Again, based on the research, it sound like that would work. Give it a try and see.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
Sweating in a neoprene or dry suit sounds disgusting and unhealthy! First you can't possibly get it warm enough. 80 degrees Celsius is minimum for a sauna. Even the "car sauna"-thing with just 50C is way to low, all you do is sweat and grow bacteria on your skin. In a sauna you sweat, rinse, scrub, sweat, rinse and sweat some more in a temperature bacteria can't grow. It's good for your skin and feels great.

Sitting in a dry suit in a warm car on a sunny day waiting to get a staph or fungal infection sounds awful. :confused:

Find a gym that has a sauna and crank up the heat or build one yourself. My wood burning sauna on wheels cost under $600 and took me about two weeks to build in my spare time.

Sweating in a neoprene or dry suit sounds disgusting and unhealthy!

Sweating In Neoprene

Sweating is sweating. I don't find anything about it disgusting nor do others. You do. Which means it is more of a view point thing.

Unhealthy

The Neoprene Sauna Suit can washed and cleaned. Problem solved!

...all you do is sweat and grow bacteria on your skin.

Washing

1) I suspect that most individual, like I, shower with soap and water after training.

2) No one wearing the Neoprene Sauna Suite has reported any "Unheathy" condition from training in it.

What documentation on "Unhealthy" have you found? What were those conditions? What was the outcome? Please list the source.

Even the "car sauna"-thing with just 50C is way to low

Car Sauna At 51 C

Yea, inside of the car was 51 C.

What you also need to consider is that I had three layers on. Thus, the temperature was substantially higher.

Therapeutic Effect

I posted this information in my first post. Here it is again for the third time...

Nothing in this research article indicated that the the heat that athletes performed in with the Neoprene Sauna Suits was remotely close to 80 C.

However, the results demonstrated an improvement in performance. Training in the Neoprene Sauna Suite allows the body to adapt and in a healthy manner.

The Bottom Line

Sitting in a dry suit in a warm car on a sunny day waiting to get a staph or fungal infection sounds awful.

Show Me The Bodies

1) What documented data do you have that demonstrates sitting in warm (let's say hot) car is going to cause staph and/fungal infection?

2) How long will it take for the above to occur?

Find a gym that has a sauna and crank up the heat or build one yourself. My wood burning sauna on wheels cost under $600 and took me about two weeks to build in my spare time.

Public and Home Saunas

1) So, there is no risk of getting staph and/or fungal infections from a public sauna or you home unit?

2) Sitting in someone's pile of sweat in a public sauna isn't disgusting and isn't unheathy?

3) And you're sweat is sterile?

Kenny Croxdale

Hello,

@kennycro@@aol.com
First of all, I thank you very much for your answer as accurate as well documented (as always) !

Beyond the aerobic improvement and heat management, in which I am interested in, I would like to know if the fact of losing fat can be detrimental. Indeed, I only weigh 60kg for 1.83m. Would it be then interesting to calculate my % of lean body mass and some other indicators on a regular basis, to be sure not being to low ?

The fact is that I do not want to get tired or "weakened" due to a significant weight loss.

Thanks again,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom