all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Sauna

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
What is the ideal duration to be in sauna?

I like to alternate hot sauna with cold water or outside air, maybe something like five minutes a time of each, for a total of three or four times of each. I haven't ever really timed the experience so it's surprisingly hard to say how long it takes. I suppose the whole ordeal takes about an hour or close to it.

I like to alternate hot sauna with cold water or outside air, maybe something like five minutes a time of each, for a total of three or four times of each. I haven't ever really timed the experience so it's surprisingly hard to say how long it takes. I suppose the whole ordeal takes about an hour or close to it.
Okay. The reason I ask is, I joined a commercial gym with such facilities. I am new to these stuffs. They have sauna (dry heat) and eucalyptus-infused steaming rooms. How do you suggest I incorporate into my training? Do I do sauna or steaming? Before or after training? If so, how long each...? Last night I did 10 minutes or so of steaming after training, it was new experience for me. I sweated a lot. I was hoping it helps with recovery.

In my experience most non-Finish people, including Swede's, sauna in the "wrong way". Too low heat and too long, like they're in a hot tub or something. The temperature should be at least 85 degrees Celsius/ 185 degrees Fahrenheit, preferably 90, and when you pore water on the hot stones it should "burn" your skin, in a good way...
When I am in France, it is almost impossible to find a real sauna. As you say, 90°C is a minimum, and it is rarely found in my native country.
But in central europe, where I live, it is more common to have real hot saunas with really cold bath, and people doing it the right way.

How do you suggest I incorporate into my training? Do I do sauna or steaming? Before or after training? If so, how long each...?

Please don't think of sauna as part of your training. Having a sauna should be a pleasurable experience, like laying in a hammock on a tropical beach.
kvinna-badar-bastu-980x515-c.jpg

Enjoy yourself, relax(!), breathe, stretch out if you're sore, drink some water or a protein shake, make some new friends, meditate, enjoy the mobile free zone and just be in the moment. :rolleyes:

Please don't think of sauna as part of your training.
How often do yo do it? Is it different from your training day? Do you do it before or after training? How long does this last? Do you use it for recovery from training? Apologies, if these are naive questions

Okay. The reason I ask is, I joined a commercial gym with such facilities. I am new to these stuffs. They have sauna (dry heat) and eucalyptus-infused steaming rooms. How do you suggest I incorporate into my training? Do I do sauna or steaming? Before or after training? If so, how long each...? Last night I did 10 minutes or so of steaming after training, it was new experience for me. I sweated a lot. I was hoping it helps with recovery.

Both types of sauna have their points, but I have really little experience outside of the dry sauna. Which is moist most of the time, as we pour water on the rocks.

I think going to the sauna after each training session is a good idea. The harder the session, the more advantage I can see from it.

Sweating is pretty much the idea behind the sauna. Get your skin and muscles below it as hot as possible, increasing blood flow, reducing soreness, cleaning up the waste, moving nutrients, etc. I like to then go to take a really cold shower, that gives partly an opposite reaction. Then go back to the sauna, back to the shower, repeat something like two or three times at first. I don't think it's typical to take a really cold shower, it's just something I've always enjoyed personally and I believe it's also healthy and restorative.

I'm not sure if you're allowed to pour water over the rocks or how hot your sauna gets, so it's hard to give a time frame. I'd imagine the hotter the less time you spend there.

Remember to hydrate. You can get dizzy. If it feels too bad, it's likely too bad.

I go to the sauna almost every day, I try to go every day. I almost always go in the evening, but sometimes with family the sleeping times vary and so does the timing of the sauna. I think it's great for recovery and great in general. It has a myriad of health benefits, but it's also relaxing and enjoyable in itself.

How often do yo do it? Is it different from your training day? Do you do it before or after training? How long does this last? Do you use it for recovery from training? Apologies, if these are naive questions
No worries. I do it as often as I can, 4-5 times a week. More in the winter, less during the summer, I have a small wood fired "Sauna trailer" I built myself.
Always after training, never heard of anyone outside physical therapy who sauna before training.
The time depends, I really don't put a clock on it. Maybe 5-10min for a quick one and 15-20min for a long one, longer than that you need an ice bath, beer, friends or a girlfriend to make it fun.
I sit as long as I like. You get all the health benefits from just being in the sauna, no need to think about "recovery", just relax.
I haven't noticed any difference in "recovery" after training if you sauna or not. But if I sauna I feel better, more relaxed, feel cleaner, my skin gets smoother, sleep better and don't get sick as often.

I agree with everything Antti said. (y)
Wooden-Sauna-Barrel-Sauna-Sauna-with-trailer.jpg_350x350.jpg

Mine's kind of like this one, just not as pretty. :)

I take sauna baths regularly with epsom salts, sea salt, and occasionally a few drops of essential oils. It really feels incredible. I put the water on as hot as I can stand it. I force myself to stay in there for at least 20-25 minutes. 30 minutes is always my goal. Sometimes its too hot. It helps me cut weight FAST. I learned it from the UFC fighters when they have to cut weight fast before a fight.

I heard that sauna's are great for releasing parasites and candida symptoms from the body. Anyone else have any expierence with these subjects? I surely do. I was 400lbs many years ago. I am 160lbs now.

I take sauna baths regularly with epsom salts, sea salt, and occasionally a few drops of essential oils. It really feels incredible. I put the water on as hot as I can stand it. I force myself to stay in there for at least 20-25 minutes. 30 minutes is always my goal. Sometimes its too hot. It helps me cut weight FAST. I learned it from the UFC fighters when they have to cut weight fast before a fight.

I heard that sauna's are great for releasing parasites and candida symptoms from the body. Anyone else have any expierence with these subjects? I surely do. I was 400lbs many years ago. I am 160lbs now.

Yes it will help you lose water weight. It does not mobilise and oxidise triglycerides though.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom