all posts post new thread

Nutrition Scale weight

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
Ive been reading a book by Joe Wicks, very popular at the min in uk and Ireland, Lean in 15, essentially clean eating cook book, it's actually quite good. Anyhow in it he advises against weighing yourself and essentially throwing the scales away. He promotes using pics etc as a means of tracking progress. I've been on KB strong (after reaching Simple) for about 3 weeks and pretty much following his guidelines about eating carb heavy meals after working out, it's working in terms of stripping off fat. If I get on the scales I would say I'd prob be up in weight.I'm 6 2 and about 220 pounds but feel strong at this weight. I can see changes in body comp and I'm not starving myself. I don't think I'd be able to whilst doing KB strong.
It's interesting the change in perspective when you avoid the scales!!

I prefer using a measuring tape. It isn't perfect but in my experience better than the scale.

I've grown to prefer eating carbohydrates before heavy training and only taking protein afterwards. I am aware that many opt against such routine but it is by far not without scientific or experimental merit.

I rarely weigh myself and don't even have convenient access to a scale. This isn't for any purposeful reason; weighing myself just isn't part of my regular routine, and I rarely feel the need to know exactly how much I weigh. The only time I really need to know is when I'm at a doctor's office and they ask, and they always have a scale right in the office that I can step on (usually fully dressed, with my shoes on and pockets full, but they seem happy to just have a number).

I do pay attention to my body composition, but how I feel, function and look in the mirror are plenty of feedback.

We're all different. I weigh myself almost every morning and am very happy doing that. If, as I do, you compete in a weight class sport and you're at the upper end of the class, I don't see how you have much choice but to mind your weight regularly.

-S-

Different strokes for different folks for sure, for me I was always trying to maintain weight around 15st or 210lbs, but I was tracking cals and found it really tedious, particularly with double kettlebell lifting I found my weight going up, when I did the total tension complex I added mass/weight very easily.
Anyhow I'll try this approach for another month or two and see how I go..

My preference is not to track calories - much to difficult _and_ much too inaccurate. Get on the scale, and learn how hungry or not I need to be to keep weight where I want. If I weight too much, I eat less - it's that simple, and it goes the other direction as well.

-S-

True Steve, Josh Hillis makes the same point about portion size equals scale weight and portion quality equals body fat, agree with calories tracking I've tried it but it was a real struggle inspite of the fact that that the smartphone app is very easy to use, part of me thinks life is too short...

@conor78
Other than gaining 10lbs, how are you feeling otherwise? Are you recovering from each training session? do you still have gas in the tank at the end of your sessions? I struggled with this same exact issue last year, I could NOT loose weight with double kettlebell work, only gain. And what I've come to realize was that I was not eating ENOUGH calories in order for my body to recover. So I doubled my veggie & protein source at each of my two meals (I do I.F. and only eat 2x per day) and then the weight just started to fall off at that point. Hopefully that helps, good luck.
-WF

I weigh myself every morning but just out of curiosity. My GF just bought one of those bodyfat measuring scales, works good and all but I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Hi @whiskyfox I felt strong doing the Double KB work, I moved across to double work with the total tension complex with some pull ups and I added 10lbs with the same diet. I have used KB burn, KB strong and a few other programmes. I used to use a tracker to keep a record of cals which was about 2500 calls. I'm 6,2 and I move between 210 to 225 pounds. With double KB work I build muscle very easily, particular in the shoulders, arms and chest. To be honest when I was running S and S I seemed to lean out fairly quickly with a bit of boxing training/jogging thrown in. I have been patterning the c and jerk in prep for using it with a double kettlebell program. It seems to be a powerful tool for fat loss. I must look at maybe doubling my protein and veggie intake. I enjoy working out most days and taking total rest days is a challenge to be honest. I can appreciate the logic of a avoiding the scales as I found it a distraction but maybe that's just me making excuses to avoid the hard truths. I have tried to reduce carbs in the past but with my Irish blood I have been reared on white bread and potatoes..

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom