all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Scapular position/action during pull-ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Benjamin Renaud

Level 8 Valued Member
Hello everyone, I'm having problems when doing pull-ups. Currently I can do 3-4 solid pull-ups, but my problem is that when I lower down, as I get near full shoulder flexion (arms vertical overhead) I get a tendon snapping against my humerus on the left side (or what feels like this). It feels like the tendon has to slide over a bump (humerus head) and snaps into place shortly after. It is only slightly painful, more on the discomfort side. I've been trying to play around with different scapular actions as I near that point but with mitigated success. When I do assisted pull-ups (on a low bar with feet on the floor to lessen my weight) I don't seem to get that problem. I also get this problem when doing chin-ups.

Should the scapula be rotating as I near full flexion? If so how do I coach myself into doing the proper rotation?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I'm having problems when doing pull-ups. Currently I can do 3-4 solid pull-ups, but my problem is that when I lower down, as I get near full shoulder flexion (arms vertical overhead) I get a tendon snapping against my humerus on the left side (or what feels like this). It feels like the tendon has to slide over a bump (humerus head) and snaps into place shortly after. It is only slightly painful, more on the discomfort side. I've been trying to play around with different scapular actions as I near that point but with mitigated success. When I do assisted pull-ups (on a low bar with feet on the floor to lessen my weight) I don't seem to get that problem. I also get this problem when doing chin-ups.

Should the scapula be rotating as I near full flexion? If so how do I coach myself into doing the proper rotation?

Any insight would be appreciated.
Benjamin... have you tried using rings, and if so do you experience the same thing?

@offwidth I will go set them up as soon as I finish writing this and try. I'll be back with an update.

UPDATE: It seems to be better using rings, I'll have to do a few more sets to see. I do find them harder though because I have to do L-sit pull-ups because of lack of space.

Last edited:
In my experience nine times out of ten overhead pain means lack of proper overhead mobility.

Try this:

Stand with your back to a wall. Your feet should be about one foot away from the bottom edge of the wall, and your lower back should be entirely flattened against the wall. Now, keep your elbows as straight as you can, and lift your hands up and try and touch your thumbs to the wall overhead/behind you (your hands start in a "karate chop" position). When your arms are overhead they should be close to shoulder width apart. See if you can do this without your lower back arching off of the wall, your elbows bending, or your shoulders shrugging up to your ears.

If you can't, then you don't actually have 180 degrees of shoulder flexion and need more mobility.

If you can post a video it would be best.

Lastly, a side note: the reason rings may feel better is that they allow your shoulder to "move around" any potential mobility restrictions. A pull up bar does not and likely highlights those restrictions.

I'll try and get a video done after work today, of both the mobility exercise and a few pull-ups with a view of my scapula. It might allow someone to see something I obviously can't see happening in my back.

@bluejeff this is my shoulder flexion test. 2nd try I was a bit more mindful of keeping core engaged. Sorry for not editing it, I did it while preping supper and other stuff.

This is a set of pull-ups (my second in a row because the other one my son took pictures...) to see if my scapular action and rhythm is correct.

I have to add that I've been doing passive hangs since yesterday, a couple of sets per day to see if it helps and it seems to help. Problem was reduced 80-90%.

I have to add that I've been doing passive hangs since yesterday, a couple of sets per day to see if it helps and it seems to help. Problem was reduced 80-90%.

Flexion seems good from what I can tell. If stretching in the passive hang is helping you I'd say keep doing that. If things get tight it may affect that scapulo-humeral rhythm. Pull ups look solid too. It may not be a big deal, but watch your pull ups video a few times; you don't quiiiiite go straight up. It's more noticeable on the way up.

If your pain gets better by hanging and stretching, then carry on. If not, find a good physio. I know mine has uncovered a number of issues I wasn't previously aware of.

Flexion seems good from what I can tell. If stretching in the passive hang is helping you I'd say keep doing that. If things get tight it may affect that scapulo-humeral rhythm. Pull ups look solid too. It may not be a big deal, but watch your pull ups video a few times; you don't quiiiiite go straight up. It's more noticeable on the way up.

If your pain gets better by hanging and stretching, then carry on. If not, find a good physio. I know mine has uncovered a number of issues I wasn't previously aware of.

That's interesting that he mentions it's the left shoulder, because sort of veering (ever soooo slightly) to the left is what you see, although he mentions it is more on the way down, than up....

you don't quiiiiite go straight up. It's more noticeable on the way up.
That's true, hadn't noticed, I guess I have one side stronger than the other. I'll try filming again next week when I do pull-ups again and see if I do it all the time. I'm still pretty new to pull-ups, been able to do them only about two months or so. I'd have to check my log to be sure.

Thanks for the observations and tips.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom