all posts post new thread

Barbell Schedule critique

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

footballer55

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on my new schedule. I came up with it on my own and tried to fit just about everything in it. Any Advice, criticism, or problems with it are welcomed. Keep in mind this is primarily for football.
Thanks,
Mike

Ps, for anyone who didn't pick up on it the numbers mean weight

WORKOUT SCHEDULE

Week one
• 3 sets of 10
• every night
50 push-ups
30 curls
25 scull crushers

Monday

Deadlift- 150
Bench- 105
Clean- 105
Lat push backs- 35
Ab pulls- 25

Tuesday
Bench- 105
Sled pull sprint- 25
Sled pull bear crawls- 25
Sled pull sprint- 25
Bench- 105

Wednesday

Front squat- 115
Palm up rows- 35
Palm down rows- 35
Tricep kickbacks- 10
Barbell shrugs- 150

Thursday

Deadlift- 150
Bench- 105
Clean- 105
Seated dumbbell shoulder press- 30
Zercher squat- 115

Friday
Bench- 105
Sled pull sprint- 25
Sled pull bear crawls- 25
Sled pull sprint- 25
Bench- 105

Week two
• 3 sets of 5
• every night
50 push-ups
30 curls
25 scull crushers

Monday

Deadlift- 195
Bench- 135
Clean- 125
Lat push backs- 40
Ab pulls- 50

Tuesday
Bench- 135
Sled pull sprint- 50
Sled pull bear crawls- 50
Sled pull sprint- 50
Bench- 135

Wednesday

Front squat- 125
Palm up rows- 70
Palm down rows- 70
Tricep kickbacks- 20
Barbell shrugs- 195
Thursday

Deadlift- 195
Bench- 135
Clean- 125
Zercher squat- 125
Seated dumbbell shoulder press- 40

Friday
Bench- 135
Sled pull sprint- 50
Sled pull bear crawls- 50
Sled pull sprint- 50
Bench- 135

Last edited:
I think my elbows would like to have a serious conversation with me if I did skullcrushers every night

Maybe Box Jumps at a challenging height or weighted squat jumps will be good for your explosiveness.
Thanks! Maybe I'll replace a regular squat with those, or just add it onto a day I feel is lighter than others. I'll have to figure it out as I go on

I'd omit the direct arm work and add pullups... if you do cleans, you can also skip shrugs, replace them with loaded carries if you ask me

I'd omit the direct arm work and add pullups... if you do cleans, you can also skip shrugs, replace them with loaded carries if you ask me
Just switched Wednesday's seated presses with Thursday's shrugs, that way I'm getting them both in there, but with a rest

+1 to @Mark Limbaga and @Pavel Macek. If you're doing rows and presses, there's no need for the bicep/tricep focused stuff. There's nothing special about those muscles except for appearance, and if you're serious about performance then be serious about performance. Don't waste recoverability on "look good" stuff. Like most of us though, you would get far better results from just letting someone else do the programming. Dan John's done a lot of work with football players; I would look into Easy Strength or Mass Made Simple. Better yet, pony up $17, buy them both on Kindle, and (starting with Easy Strength) alternate both programs and do them exactly as written. You will get bigger and stronger, guaranteed. Or you could do your own thing, which 'might' work. So what's more important, the experiment, or the results?

Alternating Mass Made Simple and Easy Strength sounds great. That being said, I'm not sure that Mass Made Simple would be good for a football player during football season. Wouldn't recovery be difficult?

@Ny Wc I would agree. I think weight gain programs are definitely something to be pursued in the off season, when you can really focus on eating, sleeping, and other aspects of recovery. I'm assuming football season starts around August, so that's enough time for about three cycles. If I can reverse what I said earlier, maybe it would be ideal to start with MMS for 6 weeks, ES for 6 weeks, and then another round of MMS. If you took one rest week between cycles you might only have 4-5 weeks to do the last MMS cycle, but that would put a guy at the beginning of August with a lot of extra meat and strength, just in time to learn how to handle it all during pre-season practice.

i agree with @Pavel Macek, do a proven program like easy strength with the exercises: back squat, DL, bench press, rows, and farmers walk

after you finish the program start it all over again but with the exercises: front squat, RDL, overhead press, pull ups, and farmers walk variation

for a high school football player i think 'easy strength' would be the best program, just my opinion

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom