all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Sciatica ?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Stuart Elliott

Level 6 Valued Member
I was doing a snatch session yesterday , towards the end it felt like I had been punched in the left side of my lower back, followed short dull twinge behind my left knee. There was no real pain, but just shock, when turning round to see no one there. I stopped the session as a precaution.

This seems to be sciatica (googled), I've had no previous pain or sign of it in the past and have been snatching for about the last 4 years (A&A style) Has anyone experienced this and tips to deal with it?

Hi Stuart,
My name is Robert Talac. I am a spine surgeon practicing in Houston TX. If your pain was on the left side of your lower lumbar area and the pain did not radiate below the knee, it is unlikely sciatica. The sciatica is a pain radiating down the leg along the sciatic nerve caused by usually by a herniated disc. It is not easy to diagnose your problem over the internet, but it seems that you may have stretched or injured the left facet joint or its capsule. if you are interested to learn more about lower back and strength check information about coiling core muscles on David Weck website - weckmethod.com. I would take it easy for a few days, be active dot stay in the bed. I would not do any kettlebell work. If you feel better and there is no pain you may slowly resume your normal activities. If pain or symptoms persist beyond 7-10 days I would recommend seeking medical evaluation a perhaps MRI as you may have torsional injury that needs to be diagnosed and rehabilitated to prevent the chronic problem. I hope this will help. Kind regards. Robert T. (If you wish to talk a bit more my email is rtalac@gmail.com).

I was doing a snatch session yesterday , towards the end it felt like I had been punched in the left side of my lower back, followed short dull twinge behind my left knee. There was no real pain, but just shock, when turning round to see no one there. I stopped the session as a precaution.

This seems to be sciatica (googled), I've had no previous pain or sign of it in the past and have been snatching for about the last 4 years (A&A style) Has anyone experienced this and tips to deal with it?
Sorry to hear Stuart, not sure but I think a nerve condition would come on gradually.. probably just a tweak that will resolve itself in a short time.

Good luck with it

Hi Stuart,
My name is Robert Talac. I am a spine surgeon practicing in Houston TX. If your pain was on the left side of your lower lumbar area and the pain did not radiate below the knee, it is unlikely sciatica. The sciatica is a pain radiating down the leg along the sciatic nerve caused by usually by a herniated disc. It is not easy to diagnose your problem over the internet, but it seems that you may have stretched or injured the left facet joint or its capsule. if you are interested to learn more about lower back and strength check information about coiling core muscles on David Weck website - weckmethod.com. I would take it easy for a few days, be active dot stay in the bed. I would not do any kettlebell work. If you feel better and there is no pain you may slowly resume your normal activities. If pain or symptoms persist beyond 7-10 days I would recommend seeking medical evaluation a perhaps MRI as you may have torsional injury that needs to be diagnosed and rehabilitated to prevent the chronic problem. I hope this will help. Kind regards. Robert T. (If you wish to talk a bit more my email is rtalac@gmail.com).

Thank you BackMD68 - that is really useful advice. I get lower back pain regularly - I'll definitely look up Coiling Core on David Weck.

Hi Stuart,
Hi Robert thank you for taking the time to reply. I will heed your advice and see how it goes. Thanks again, Stuart .

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom