all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Science behind "strength aerobics"

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Matthieu

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hello,
Do you know if any scientific research has been conducted on "strength aerobics" type protocols, and in particular their impact on endurance/general aerobic qualities? (maybe @Brett Jones)
I have found studies that investigate the link repeated sprint ability and aerobic parameters, but I have trouble finding something on repeated strength work... I am looking for literature on the subject in the context of the construction of a course for students, future teachers of physical education.

Thank you in advance !
Matthieu

I don't know of any research besides the russian sources Pavel mentioned in his articles years ago. But "strength aerobics" is not about improving aerobic conditioning or meant as an alternative to regular endurance training. These are (experimental as far as I understand it) alternatives for strength endurance and anaerobic conditioning circuits based on experience and the theory that by exhausting the muscles quickly without generating too much lactic acid you can stimulate the mitochondria withing certain muscle fibers. The aerobic energy pathway is only used for recovery between bouts.

I don't know of any research besides the russian sources Pavel mentioned in his articles years ago. But "strength aerobics" is not about improving aerobic conditioning or meant as an alternative to regular endurance training. These are (experimental as far as I understand it) alternatives for strength endurance and anaerobic conditioning circuits based on experience and the theory that by exhausting the muscles quickly without generating too much lactic acid you can stimulate the mitochondria withing certain muscle fibers. The aerobic energy pathway is only used for recovery between bouts.
100% correct.

To build endurance and repeat high power output in specific muscle groups and movement patterns over a longer period of time.

Think of an 80kg wrestler performing 40-80kg sandbag/slam ball over shoulder. 4 reps, rest, rinse and repeat for 20mins.

This will build up a lot of muscular endurance in a very functional movement pattern for the sport of wrestling.

Many ways to skin a cat and this is just an example.

Hello,
Do you know if any scientific research has been conducted on "strength aerobics" type protocols, and in particular their impact on endurance/general aerobic qualities? (maybe @Brett Jones)
I have found studies that investigate the link repeated sprint ability and aerobic parameters, but I have trouble finding something on repeated strength work... I am looking for literature on the subject in the context of the construction of a course for students, future teachers of physical education.

Thank you
This might be tough to apply in a pe setting (I’m a pe major as well) I’m entering into a health and fitness unit right now and have been trying to think about different “circuit style training i could use (i’m in an elementary setting so much different). Right now I’m thinking about a format that goes more like: perform 3-5 reps (depending on movement and ability) followed by an easy shake out lap or two (essentially fast and loose) before repeating, this keeps them moving the whole time and prevents boredom (i hope, i plan in trying it this week or next.) Now that i wrote it all out it is much more of an a+a setup. We should start a PE thread! There was a cool article out a while ago about using sf principles in a pe setting.

I understand what you are saying. In fact, I was thinking of things on the "work capacity" dimension (no matter how it is evaluated), or on the involvement of the aerobic system (in recovery), but not necessarily huge increases in aerobic performance. Indeed, the mechanisms involved are different from repeated sprints, which have been shown to have a positive effect on VO2max.

The objective is above all to see the interactions between physical qualities/energy systems which are often considered too independently.

Thank you for your answers!

Last edited:
I tend to think of methods like SA sort of like “manual labor.” For example’s sake, take three people. Person A trains for 1RM almost exclusively; low reps, high intensity, short duration of effort. Person B trains for pure endurance; very low intensity for long periods of time. Person C trains in a “SA style;” brief repetitions of strength interacted by low intensity movement for a moderate (read: 30min or so) amount of time. Put all of them on a farm or logging site for a day. I’d wager person C performs the best or at least takes the least beating. I’d wager that person A would start strong and taper off quickest, and person C might last longest, but wouldn’t be able to keep up with lifting stuff all day. So I think of strength aerobics sort of like “hay bailing,” you’re doing a lot of low level aerobics (walking around a field) with brief bursts of strength/power (throwing bails up on the truck).

I wouldn’t choose SA to increase my max aerobic function though. That’s likely best done through the tried and tested methods: HIIT, LISS, etc.

Dunno if that answers anything :) but it’s some thoughts.

I cover this in my upcoming book on Iron Cardio (aka Strength Aerobics).

In doing your own research you will likely find more connection/correlation with research on circuit training (although not 100% applicable IMO).

Pavel's articles:
What is "Work Capacity"? [Part I] | StrongFirst

What is "Work Capacity"? [Part II] | StrongFirst

Will provide good information on general endurance and potential productivity (what I think IC/SA does very well).

Combining IC/SA with S&S or snatch protocols is a great way to "check all the boxes"—along with easy aerobic work.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom