all posts post new thread

Sean's log of trainin.... and other stuff

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Sean Kerby

Level 1 Valued Member
Ok so I'm gonna do this training log thing. It'll help keep me accountable. To others and me...mostly others.

This morning is day 5 or so of S&S. I'm working toward the Simple Goal. I've been training with kettlebells a while, about a decade. I started getting serious in 2012. Program Minimum, ROP, Kettlebell Muscle from Geoff Neupert. I have a background in martial arts, and Marine stuff. My goals are to get stronger, and complete a program. I need defined goal. I need to be able to see what I'm working for. Yes, I'm a Marine but I never took physical fitness seriously until a few years ago. I want to play with my kids, teach them to be good at things and do what my parents did not. I'm adding bodyweight and stretching into my warm ups. I'd like to add some pressing and snatches too AFTER a while, on variety days.

Today was the usual... hip bridges, goblet squats and halos.

16kg get ups, 5 each side.
32kg 2H swings, 5x10
1 set of 32kg 1H swings 5 each side.

Welcome aboard, Devildog. Good to see that you went ahead and started a log. There is tons of great advice available on this forum.

Thanks Swann 1!

Today!!!
I got lazy and didn't do any warm up. I'll haze myself later....
2 get ups each side with 24kg
3 with 16kg
So it went 24,24,16,16,16
The 24's I actually did in the house on carpet. They felt ok, I was impressed with myself for being able to put it up again. The 16's I did in the garage, on concrete. My stronger side was fine, my strong side however felt very disconcerted. This is something I will work on and solve.
Then came the 32kg swings. No issues there. Thanks for reading folks. Feel free to give opinions and so forth!!!

No problem @Sean Kerby. Great job, and we'll even forgive you if you don't haze yourself!
Doing TGUs on concrete will definitely help teach control. Coming down on that hard surface with a lack of precision will wake you up real quick!
Out of curiosity, why did you do the Swings after the TGUs? S&S calls for the Swings first to maximize power. Part of your plan?

I've always done things that way. I tend to do presses and anything that requires strength first. I can swing all day. I read some an article a long time ago about doing your strength training first then doing cardio. I saw similarity in presses vs swings and snatches. To me it made sense. So I've continued doing it that.

On to the training... mobility work to start off. I wanted to get to know my 32kg a little more so I decided to press it. Man I tell you, that's a quick way to be humbled. I can do it with the left side. The right side not so much. A couple months ago I fell doing something dumb. ALL my training suffered because of it. I can press 16's and 24's. The 32 on the right side... nope not today.

Double 24's see saw press. One side up as other side comes down. 2x2
Next single presses with the 32 2x1
32kg swings 7x10
TGU 16kg 1/1
Double 16's presses 3x5

I have named Fridays variety days. Monday I shall return to strict S&S.

Opinions and suggestions as always!!!

Cool. I assumed that was your reasoning. I do the same, but in S&S the Swings aren't strick cardio, they are Power. Strength before Cardio, but Power before Strength.
Anyway, that was just FYI. Good job getting at it.

Good Morning Everyone!!! It's Wednesday, and I'm feeling good. It's funny how get ups and swings do that. I won't waste yalls time so let's get at it.

TGU's 16kg strong side still feels disjointed. Clearly I have work to do. Stronger side feels good. Taking it slow though and wanting to get both sides in unison.

Swings!!! That's a different story. 10 sets total. 8 sets 2H.. 2 sets 1H 5 each side.
I'm thinking of upping my numbers with reps as opposed to sets though. Decisions...

As always thoughts, observations and suggestions welcome!!!

Good morning Brothers and Sisters in strength!!! It's Friday, my press/variety day.

Yesterday was the usual awesomeness that is S&S... I can feel a definite difference in my strong side and my STRONGER side. I'm concentrating on the hip hinge more of the get up. I feel that's a personal sticky point. I'm working through it and I'll be better one day. Swings are beautiful evil movements especially with the 70lb... not quite a true 32kg but close enough for me for now.

Friday.... HOLY COW!!!! I pressed 70lb overhead TWICE on each side. So stoked. Then went to some cleans with it. Moved to twin 24kgs 3x3
Then to twin 16kgs 5x3
Took some pics for IG, I'm documenting this progress!!! Happy Training to all!!!

Wow, what a crazy week.... Its already Thursday, what happened to the week? So here we go.

MONDAY good training. Still feeling some sticking in places. I'm working on the hip hinge of the get up when coming back down. It's still shaky on the strong side. It will come though. I knew I had duty so I wanted to get in a solid practice that day. Knowing Tuesday would be a wash due to work and more work and my sons ABA therapy. So I got my swings in too.

TUESDAY. With coming off duty and then coming home for appointments I knew I'd have to get it in later, if at all. More commitments in the evening.. no practice

WEDNESDAY got started with get ups on the strong side. Then got a series of work phone calls at 0530 am. Work calls, so I was only able to get one side on my get ups in. Not IDEAL ANYWHERE but I made it work.

THURSDAY
Get ups done, feeling good. Still sticking in places but my mind is in it. Working that hip hinge on both sides. Also concentrating on working the knee and leg into the beginning. I noticed recently I wasn't activating or recruiting it enough. I'm doing a group session with my Marines in a little bit so I'm saving heavy swings til then!!!!!

WOOHOO!!!!! I'm back at it. I posted some pics and a whatnot on the Facebook group. Got some good critiques and that's what matters.

MOnday
Get ups and swings. Let's start with get ups... I'm having some issues with the hip hinge portion of the get up, coming DOWN. Anyone got some good tips. Everything else is progressing nicely. IE I'm not gonna drop a kettlebell on my head. Back to the hip hinge. I find myself bringing the arm back in a different position from when I go up. I will have one of my Marines get photo's or something tomorrow and post some pics of what I'm talking about.

This afternoon I wanted to do a little something so I pressed a little.
4 reps on each side for 5 sets. No hurry, just taking it easy.
Then I let the 24kg fly. 5 sets of 20 2H and another 5 sets of 10/10 1H...

Good times! THanks for reading and as always feel free to give feedback.

Man! I gotta make sure I get in here every day, or at least every other day...
So it's been a great week. @Anna C thanks for the video. It's helping. I've been pretty good this week with everything. I'm noticing some knee discomfort in my swings. I'm working on better distance between my feet. I was told it was too far. So I brought them closer and the knee discomfort snuck in. Today is Friday, press/variety day. I'm going to put some presses in after my S&S training. My goal is still mastery of the 32kg. I can press it, squat it and swing it. By this time next year I will TGU it. See y'all later!!!

Ok so here we are on an amazing Wednesday!!! I'm feeling some issues with the hip hinge when moving back down. It doesn't feel like a sticking point, but something I want to explore. Hmm hip hinge...I think I'll look up some videos. Did 5 sets of swings with the 32, and then 5 sets with the 24. Wow! I'm gonna work on more power from my swings, again... hip hinge... there's a pattern.

So it's Friday, my press day. I started with the 32. If I'm going to accomplish Simple, then being able to press this is important. The issue currently is even cleaning this thing hurts my forearm. So slowly, over time I will clean and press the 32 until it feels more natural. I have time. After that, 4x4 clean and press with the 24. Felt good, it's been a while...
Finally the double 16 see saw press. 3x20(10/10)
Finished up with some non-stop 24 1H swings.
Ready for the day!!!!!!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom