all posts post new thread

Seated snatch test

Yikes. Can the hips power that, or is that all coming from the low back?

Watch his feet. It's still driving into the ground, just differently, IMO.

-S-
Yep, that's it. I tried it with a light kettlebell. Definitely have to drive the feet into the ground.

I discovered something similar a while back doing swings with no leg movement.

It's neat how much force you can produce without actually moving much at all.

Maybe we need to start a thread for "ballistic isometrics" ;)

Well, this will really make you ponder where the force production and power is coming from, with kettlebell snatches...

My guess is that 30-40% of the power comes from the upper body and the rest from the lower body. Why? I can 1 hand swing 40kg to about shoulder height without involvement of the upper body (using the arm as a rope, basically). This is very hard, and I doubt I could swing a heavier weight to horizontal. However, I can snatch 40kg, that is, if I use the upper body, the kettlebell can go overhead. There is no way I could "overhead swing", or "american swing" 40kg. So, the lower body gets the kettlebell from arm pointing down to arm horizontal. The rest of the energy needed to overcome gravity must come from the different mechanics, and involve the upper body. Why not 50%? Because when you hinge, your arm will get lower than if you keep your knees straight, so a bit more energy is needed for the "lower half" of the swing"snatch" than the "upper half".

Of course, this is not an exact calculation, and the mechanics of the two movements differs, but I think this is in the right ballpark. In fact, if you don't snatch for a while and get back into it, your upper body will let you know on the next day...

It's neat how much force you can produce without actually moving much at all.
Indeed. Makes me think of Bruce Lee's one-inch punch, and many other martial art techniques.

I also use this to surprise opponents with my punch volleys in tennis. A punch volley is, as its name implies, a volley in which you hit the ball head on, with the goal of hitting hard. Kind of a "low smash". However, you usually don't have time when you volley to take a long swing. What I do, is I tense my whole body and do a very small but quick movement when I hit the ball that can send the ball flying.

I somehow want to compare this snatch Vs seated snatch to good morning Vs seated good morning.

What's the difference? Both are hip extensions. The ROM is obviously different.

And the speed.

You mean the speed of the snatch compared to the GM?

I meant that it could be illuminating to compare the standing version of each exercise with the seated one, not GM Vs snatch.

That said, I adore the good morning and would love to see it more in the discussion on hip hinge exercises. So, good morning Vs snatch Vs swing Vs deadlift, let's go!

You mean the speed of the snatch compared to the GM?

I meant that it could be illuminating to compare the standing version of each exercise with the seated one, not GM Vs snatch.

That said, I adore the good morning and would love to see it more in the discussion on hip hinge exercises. So, good morning Vs snatch Vs swing Vs deadlift, let's go!
Got it.
Seated GM with a wide base, loaded or unloaded, a great stretch/movement prep.

At the StrongFirst O-Lifting seminar a few weeks ago, Master SFG Jeremy Layport mentioned that seated Good Mornings really helped his pulling posture for weightlifting -- spinal erectors got super strong.

If you want to have some real fun, put one leg or both legs up in front of you and try it. I watched Gregor Sobočan do this with one leg up on a bench in front of him, having broken his foot several days earlier. He swung the kettlebell outside of his legs. At the same event, the first RKC in Denmark (2006), he pressed a 48 kg bell while standing on his one good leg because he couldn't put any weight on the other leg. Gregor was a professional handball player in Slovenia at the time.

-S-

Of course, this is not an exact calculation, and the mechanics of the two movements differs, but I think this is in the right ballpark. In fact, if you don't snatch for a while and get back into it, your upper body will let you know on the next day...
I did no snatching for about 8 weeks. Did a good amount of double C&J and other stuff. Last sunday a A+A snatch session for 5r x38 happened. I knew right before I went in, that 'good' doms would follow even only when doing around 20 repests or less. So I went until hands.

DOMS for a whole week. Most pronounced 2 and 3rd day after. Still today a hint of in lower bicep, traps. A very instructive experience of what got worked. The soreness was spread over the upper body as a whole. Conclusion re-inforced that the heavier one arm snatch for repeats is a lift(ing).

Back
Top Bottom